cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST tires cooked on arrival?

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I was driving down the freeway yesterday when I was passed by a Dodge DW towing a new 5th wheel. I sped up and paced him at over 85 mph. The trailer had a dealer plate on it. I slowed back down to the speed limit and watched as he disappeared over the horizon. The air temperature was 87 degrees. I was just wondering if the new owners of trailers that have had premature ST tire failures might have had this guy as delivery driver. Has anyone else witnessed delivery drivers driving like that?
47 REPLIES 47

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
How does the OP know they were ST tires?
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
laknox wrote:
DHCamper wrote:
I was driving down the freeway yesterday when I was passed by a Dodge DW towing a new 5th wheel. I sped up and paced him at over 85 mph. The trailer had a dealer plate on it. I slowed back down to the speed limit and watched as he disappeared over the horizon. The air temperature was 87 degrees. I was just wondering if the new owners of trailers that have had premature ST tire failures might have had this guy as delivery driver. Has anyone else witnessed delivery drivers driving like that?

I think I'd've pulled out my phone and shot a minute, or two, of video, and included my speedo, as well as the DL plate, then sent it to the factory. Might try and get a shot of the TV's plate, too.

Lyle

Did they respond stop texting and driving 🙂
I would rather be next to the speeding RV than someone trying to video and drive. At least the speeder is watching the road.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
DHCamper wrote:

I think I'd've pulled out my phone and shot a minute, or two, of video, and included my speedo, as well as the DL plate, then sent it to the factory. Might try and get a shot of the TV's plate, too.

Lyle

here's a hint from a delivery driver---- the factory doesn't care ---it's not the factory's trailer anymore.:S

if you're really concerned about safety and things like that then you need to get the dealer name (because you said DEALER PLATE --- We use TRANSIT PLATES it was not a trucking company....)

And contact The Dealer.
Have a nice day.

And by the way....my trucks sweet spot isint that fast... but it loves its sweet spot!!!
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe trailer tires should just be made better so they can withstand such use. Seems that Carlisle thinks that! Subject ST tires to the same testing as LT tires and the problem, including most ST tires will go away.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
T

Probably no harm done with the unloaded trailer.

Until he hit a bump and everything inside went a-- over appetite.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
The new Carlisles are rated for 87mph. Maybe it had Carlisles on it. :B

Probably no harm done with the unloaded trailer.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
I wonder what kind of mileage it got at that speed?

X2
Most of the ones I have seen are driving in their sweet (MPG) spot.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder what kind of mileage it got at that speed?

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
DHCamper wrote:

Lyle

Did they respond stop texting and driving 🙂

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
DHCamper wrote:
I was driving down the freeway yesterday when I was passed by a Dodge DW towing a new 5th wheel. I sped up and paced him at over 85 mph.

What was the make of the trailer?
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
I saw 2 guys (going the opposite direction so I couldn't get any info) going so fast that all 4 trailer tires came off the ground when they hit a bump. But naturally whoever buys the unit will call the manufacturer terrible names when half the trim is loose, etc.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
DHCamper wrote:

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, it's not theirs, no different than the shop truck.
Drive it like you stole it..
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I guess I'm a "hater" as I hate ST tires and their propensity to blow. Oh and FWIW, I hate trolls. (Hate is a strong word. I mean, I hate mushy green vegetables and watching The Golden Girls more than tires.)
I'm betting the delivery methods have a direct relation to the high failure rates. We also don't know how many times they bounce over curbs or suffer other abuses.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Time is money.......

It isn't their RV

Time is money.........
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31