cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sure glad I have a dually

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Experienced a flat rear tire yesterday on my truck while pulling a fifth wheel back from Upper Michigan. Wasn't a big deal because I was able to drive it to the nearest gas station/truck stop, unhook the rig and throw on the spare. No damage done anywhere because the other tire carried the load. I would have otherwise been immediately broke down in a ditch somewhere, along a stretch of highway, trying to change out that tire in no doubt less than desireable conditions.
38 REPLIES 38

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I want a dually where the rear is tucked in same as SRW. Super single might be easier.

I despise that fender flare. May as well make the entire body/cab the full width of the wide rear.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Excerpt from Bridgestone Tire Company

Generally, the dual load rating is about 5 to 10 percent less than the single load rating.

Does the difference between dual and single loads compensate if a tire in a dual assembly goes flat?

Unfortunately not. The second tire in a dual assembly is not a spare. It cannot take up the slack if you have a flat.

The remaining tire can’t safely take on the load that was previously on two tires. And, if you run your tires at lower inflation pressures, the overload would be even greater.

Just a friendly word of caution
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

X2

And I hope OP is planning on replacing both tires......the lone one that carried the load was overloaded when it's partner went flat.

Exactly what I was going to say. The damage has already begun, depending on miles run and speed.

Maybe I missed it but what was his pin weight? That singled out good tire was most likely a "E" rated tire which would be good for about 3042 lbs which wouldn't be overload in most applications. I see 25 series trucks all the time running to this rating without problems, so they say.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Sundance07
Explorer
Explorer
Wow....tough crowd....:R

The OP just stated he was glad he had his dually when he had a flat rear tire...

Jetstreamer: Glad all went well for you after that excitement.

Us out West: Agree 100%
2012 Ram 3500 4x4 CCLB/DRW Laramie, Cummins 6.7 HO, 68RFE, 4.10 Max Tow, Firestone Ride-Rite, 50 Gal Transfer Flow
2008 Citation Supreme Platinum XL 34.5 CKTS, GVW 15500, MorRyde, 4 wh disc brakes, -30C Polar Pkg

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
broark01 wrote:
Wonder how "glad" it feels when the fender is rubbed off at the ATM or a drive thru. This and the having to mess with 6 tire issues (rotating, balancing, checking pressure) and associated costs is why I "throw the dice" with only 4 tires. I do have a spare and know how to use a jack and a lug wrench so we will make it to the next exit.. Then there is always Good Sam 🙂

I get a kick how some come up with weak excuses.

I'll take the stability and safety that a dually offers in pulling a heavy 5ver over worrying about going through an ATM or a drive in.

Geez people...get a clue!
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
!8 wheelers are going to super singles for one reason only. Weight savings! Most experienced 18 wheel drivers are religious about check the tire pressure, with a gauge. I know, I drove 18 wheelers for 33 years and can count on one hand the number of blow-outs I had. I still check the tire pressure on the tow and trailer everyday. Underinflated tires are the major cause of tire failure. Tire gauges are cheap. Tires aren't.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder how "glad" it feels when the fender is rubbed off at the ATM or a drive thru. This and the having to mess with 6 tire issues (rotating, balancing, checking pressure) and associated costs is why I "throw the dice" with only 4 tires. I do have a spare and know how to use a jack and a lug wrench so we will make it to the next exit.. Then there is always Good Sam 🙂

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
hammer21661 wrote:
My dually is so tough when the front tire goes flat I just do a wheelie and steer with the brakes.

I do that when the front of my A comes off the ground while on the sled. 🙂

Lyle
I couldn't resist it took a lot longer to get a reply to this then I thought. I am glad someone knew what I was talking about.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

SpurHntr
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP

What was the date code on the tire that blew?
'08 Newmar Kountry Star 3916, 400ISL Cummins
'17 F250 Diesel Platty SRW Crew 6.75' bed
'17 JKU Rubicon Recon, LoD flat towable Destroyer bumper.
Blue Ox, BB, PP TPMS, Ranger EV

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:

X2

And I hope OP is planning on replacing both tires......the lone one that carried the load was overloaded when it's partner went flat.

Exactly what I was going to say. The damage has already begun, depending on miles run and speed.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
hammer21661 wrote:
My dually is so tough when the front tire goes flat I just do a wheelie and steer with the brakes.

I do that when the front of my A comes off the ground while on the sled. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Super singles - on a tandum set up , you can drive on with one flat , at a reduced speed as per Michelin web site.
they cost about a grand each

where is the eyes bugging out smiley
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
lawrosa wrote:
What happens if you get a flat on the front? Whats a dually have to do with anything and going to do for you in that case???...

Just saying is all....:)

X2

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
rodknocker wrote:
Many of these discussions on the boards, and we may never know the real answer. Sorta like the debate over David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar, not going to win the argument. However, 18 wheelers are converting to 10 wheelers, going to the single tire instead of duals. Maybe they know something.............

That's true. On the plus side they get .3 -.5% better mileage and the biggest plus is more payload. Down side is a blow out which they can't limp to the next exit. Any steer axle tire failure you'll be on the side of the road. Any SRW drive axle you'll be on the side of the road. A DRW drive axle will make it to the next exit. Funny just what the thread stated :B
Those super singles are nice but they are a major investment that only the high mileage guys could ever justify. Pretty sure that's why the Big Three don't offer them as an option as of yet.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
rodknocker wrote:
Many of these discussions on the boards, and we may never know the real answer. Sorta like the debate over David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar, not going to win the argument. However, 18 wheelers are converting to 10 wheelers, going to the single tire instead of duals. Maybe they know something.............

I think a lot of those single tires are solid run flat tires.

:B

Not hardly, look up Super Singles.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler