cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taking a Smoker along for the ride

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about getting a Smoker for home and thought taking one on our Fiver trips would be kind of fun. Anybody out there with suggestions for either electric or propane smokers I can throw in the truck would be appreciated
34 REPLIES 34

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Cobb just stopped distribution in the US. We have a small Big Green Egg that we carried for a couple of years, We decided to try a pellet grill and we are very satisfied with it. The Big Green Egg is great but it is very heavy. Worked great for us while we were sitting still for a while.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

reddwar
Explorer
Explorer
If you just want to feed 2 no more than 4. Get a Cobb grill it is a great little smoker, only needs 12 briquettes or real charcoal is better. Does not take up much room, comes with a carrying case.

you can fine at Amazon, and ebay.

red

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
That is very similar to the smoker I use and I can attest to the fact it is an excellent smoker. I've never used it as an oven, but I can see that it would work okay for that too.

well.....I guess oven isn't completely accurate. I'll pre-cook food in aluminum pans and then toss them in there to heat them up. Casseroles, bbq, and things like that. I don't use it to actually bake in but it works great for how I use it. I can't imagine living without it now. I've smoked a lot of stuff in it too and it works great for that also.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is very similar to the smoker I use and I can attest to the fact it is an excellent smoker. I've never used it as an oven, but I can see that it would work okay for that too.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
I have this that is with me everytime I camp:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-Gas-Smoker/13056700

If you watch your local wally world they'll start clearing them out really soon if not already and I got mine for ~$90. Great investment and it pretty much stays in the truck all the time I use it so much. I lay it down flat on it's back against the cab, put the propane bottle at the end of it, and run a ratchet strap over it all. I use it basically like an outdoor oven more than I smoke on it really. It comes in handy during the summer as it doesn't heat up or stink up the camper cooking and gives me some extra outdoor time with the bonus of another reason to drink a few beers while waiting on food to get done. Not sure if you're aware but it's an actual federal law that anytime a smoker is lit you have to drink beer until the food is ready.

Redhound
Explorer
Explorer
Good point. A BGE- Mini will easily fit in most kitchen garbage bags. That is how we store in basement.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I used to carry a Weber Silver grill....can't be no smoke without coals or wood....and to address the "make a mess" issue, I just found a plastic garbage can just for the smoker. Put the grill in it, zip tied the lid, threw the whole thing in the bed of the p/u. Worked great for 6 years until the 5th wheel was sold.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
Masterbuilt awesome smoker

I have this one that I bought at Sams Club. It has a thermostat and timer, as well as remote control so you cen check the meat temp probe from the neighbors. It also has a light inside so if it gets dark on you the work can continue.

X2
Also sometimes take my WEBER 22" kettle grill with this: Smokinator 1000
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

jesse_m_jm
Explorer
Explorer
That said, the mini-egg has a cooking area of 78.5 square inches, while the Traeger PTG has a cooking area of 169 square inches. And while I can't char a steak, when I crank my PTG up to 425, I can grill just fine on it.
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
2009 Keystone Raptor 3712TS
Living full time in it with 4 boys. We might be crazy... :B

Our Blog - Our Family RV Adventure

Todger
Explorer
Explorer
The best smoker is the Green Egg. They make a small one for rving. Plus it can be used as a grill. Traeger has a good smoke but it will not grill. I have both and the Green Egg wins hands down. I bought the Trseger first.

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Traeger all the way.
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K

Redhound
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a video with some Mini cooks http://youtu.be/ZIgTkeR184A .

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
Lot's of ways to go. The electric is simpler and less stuff to haul but most of my camping is nowhere near a power pedestal. I'd go for the LP or pellet type.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a Royalls Tailgater pellet grill. Wow, we have not cooked anything that has not turned out great. We did have to purchase a cargo carrier to store it in as it will not fit in our basement. Next up, turkey for Thanksgiving.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK