cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Temperature inside rv

rright3329
Explorer
Explorer
I hope I am in the right spot for this question.

If I am outside my 5th wheel and I want to know how warm or cold it is inside the RV. Does anyone know of a product I can buy that would tell me. We have a dog and if we stop and put the dog in the RV and leave it for awhile I want to monitor how warm or cold it is inside for its safety. Any ideas out there?
Bob & Kathy & coco the smartest dog in the world. (Shih Tzu)

2006 Chev Silverado HD 6 liter gas engine 2007 Cougar 5th wheel 291RL
and love it.
18 REPLIES 18

Explorer II
Explorer II
SteveAE wrote:
Alternatively (but not with the above system), you could have a dedicated cell line in the RV that would text you when the temperature exceeded a preset limit. I would think this option would be sort of expensive though in monthly fees.
Steve
I have a dedicated cell phone in my truck for $10/mo through Verizon. If the other half communicates via Bluetooth that might be an option for $120/yr.
Keep in mind that the camper would have to be in a location that can receive a cell signal in order for it to work.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
The worry for most p et owners is when the air is left on and the pedastel breaker trips. Had this happen and got home to one very overheated pet. Man was I angry.

Sledge_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
If you are driving down the road, you can't do much about it anyway. When you leave, turn on the air conditioning and you don't have to worry.
2013 Fuzion FZ315
2013 Ford F350 DRW

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you ever boondock you should consider the current draw. If always plugged in no need. Your probably most worries about heat. I'd get one that would alarm if it got above a certain temperature.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
azjeffh wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:

I think that one just uses wifi, so no recurring cell costs, but it would require wifi at the campground, or in your rig.

I believe it shows a diagram of it connected to a router with high speed internet.

Like the idea for home, but not so sure for a 5er on the road.
Ah I didn't look down far enough. Yes it would require connection to a router. Might work for some, but there may be a better answer.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:

I think that one just uses wifi, so no recurring cell costs, but it would require wifi at the campground, or in your rig.

I believe it shows a diagram of it connected to a router with high speed internet.

Like the idea for home, but not so sure for a 5er on the road.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Atom

Does that gizmo have to have connection with a WiFi or does it send its own signal to the smart phone.

Just wondering about cost of operation after the purchase.

I know they have the cell type, but that would probably cost the same as a cell alarm system ~$25 or so a month.
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Atom

Does that gizmo have to have connection with a WiFi or does it send its own signal to the smart phone.

Just wondering about cost of operation after the purchase.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Is this for while you are driving? Or is it when you are camped??When you are camped it is easy it is called a thermostat, and you set the temp. While driving, best answer is a thermostat that can be monitored via the web, and an app on your cell phone so it can easily be checked whenever you want to know the temp! Or, you could have the pet ride with you in the TV?

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
rright,

We have several LaCross WiFi enabled weather stations in our greenhouse/chicken coop. Since the building also has a WiFi hotspot (doesn't every chicken coop have internet access:B), we can monitor the temperature and humidity via the internet anytime we want. Additionally, it's easy to set alerts so if the temperature or humidity exceeds a user adjustable set point, a SMS (text) message is sent to our cell phones. Have had the system in place for a couple years and so far it has worked pretty good. Occasionally (once every few months), we do need to reset the system but for $100 per station, it isn't too much of a pain. Just remember though that you will need a internet connection.

Alternatively (but not with the above system), you could have a dedicated cell line in the RV that would text you when the temperature exceeded a preset limit. I would think this option would be sort of expensive though in monthly fees.

Steve

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Aridon wrote:
Thermostat with Wi-Fi and a smart phone app. Not sure there is one that works with our ac systems.
No, it would just have to be a separate thermometer on wifi, like this one:

Wifi Thermometer

This one will even alert you with text

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen folks put indoor/out door thermometers outside the rig to keep track of the temp for their pets.

I've seen folks put them in their utility bay to monitor the temp during cold weather.

I've seen folks put them in the fridge/freezer to monitor that temp.

You can normally have three measuring three different things (most have an A, B & C frequency) if you are not too close to your neighbors.

Many times in commercial RV parks, and rallys, I don't need to put my outside thermometer up because someone close is using one, and I can read their signal.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Thermostat with Wi-Fi and a smart phone app. Not sure there is one that works with our ac systems.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
If I understand you correct, you want to know what the temp is inside your RV while you are away?

There is some wifi thermostat technology that will communicate to a phone ap that you could check every once in a while to see the temp. I just don't recall who has them.