cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Your 5'ver is at Home - Do you.........???

Gooselover
Explorer
Explorer
have it plugged in at home? If so, did you convert where you plug in your fifth wheel to a 50 amp????

I am curious - a regular wall socket in a house - how many amps can be drawn from that?

This is all stemming from DH thinking we need to get an electrician over here to get us a 50amp plug in. Keep in mind we are NOT going to be staying in the coach while at home - maybe a day here or day there just for fun, though.
Charlie & Jeri
2013 Keystone Cougar 327RES
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 EC
45 REPLIES 45

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is plugged in right now, along with the TC. We are.......flitty, in a word, and like to be ready to leave at the drop of a hat.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

ontariofarmer
Explorer
Explorer
You have lots of answers, but I'll give you mine as well.

We go out quite often in the summer, so no need to keep it plugged in. Now that winter is here, the battery is in the shop on a shelf.

We had some gravel leveled out so the 5er is parked on that.

I made a pole for the hydro something like you would find in a campground. We tell everyone that might be interested in staying the weekend, "We have hydro and water hookups here, no sewer". 🙂
2003 Ford F250 King Ranch CC SB 6.8L V10
2003 Jayco Quest 253D 5er

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
We had some work done on the house which included new driveway where the 5er sits so we ran a 50amp to a post just like at a cg and now it can be used year round for whatever, got the satellite hooked up as well, just no sewer. It's nice to have the ac on in the summer getting things ready to leave.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

TowedWhereIGo
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is plugged in to it's own 30 amp deadicated line and sits on a 12 wide concrete driveway next to the house all the times. We keep the cable plugged in too. Spoiled.

jeremyp60
Explorer
Explorer
While rebuilding my house and living in my camper we had a trailer box installed with 50 and 30 amp plugs, I leave the trailer plugged in and slides out while at usable temps. As the season turns we close and cover for the winter. All power is shut off.

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I don't see any issues with leaving it plugged in all the time as opposed to pulling the batteries and putting them on a maintainer.

While I pull the batteries on all 3 trailers I don't keep them on a maintainer I just keep them in the warm on a piece of wood, they are there to use for boosting or whatever over the winter, it beats them freezing solid if they get discharged for whatever reason, the constant need to blow snow means you can't have a 30 amp cable buried somewhere.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see any issues with leaving it plugged in all the time as opposed to pulling the batteries and putting them on a maintainer. The new RV convertors trickle as well as a maintainer. It's a lot easier to leave the batteries in and plugged in. Why unhook them (2 G24's), pack them to where ever, then when the season gets going again, drag them back out and hook them back up if you can simply run an electrical cord to your RV? If I didn't have power where the 5'er is parked then yes I would drag them out and hook to a maintainer.

That's why I leave mine plugged in 24/7.

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer
My rig parks less than 3 feet from the house, and I had a 30A installed at the fence line. It stays plugged in all the time, (3d freezer/fridge). Our rig stays loaded and stocked all the time, 15 minutes for meds, pets, camera, laptop, and we're out of here. Grocery stores are everywhere.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Gooselover wrote:
For those of you that have stated that your RV is plugged in all the time.....why do you have it plugged in all the time?????

Well Now I have to give my "opinion." :W I would never consider keeping my fifth wheel plugged in all the time. I do not like things plugged in and unattended just because. I have a battery switch on mine. Right now it is out there in the barn with the batt turned of and a maintainer keeping the batt up.

As far as bringing the batts in in the winter. I personally think it is a challenge to maintain all the pets in the house much less my RV batt. Then what about all those other neglected batts that have to stay out in the winter like the tractor, lawn equipment, etc. My RV batt loves company and it stays out there with all the rest of the batts.

And yes, I do have a 30 amp plug right by the fifth wheel in the barn. We lived in that sucker for 8 months while the stick house was going up.

So it looks like you are taking in all the advice and will be making your own decisions. That is the way to go.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
I have both 30 and 50 amp in my detached garage directly behind where the 5er parks. I leave a 50' rv30 amp extension cord plugged in, and next to where the trailer parks. Pop the twistlock to rv30 pigtail on the side, and the extension plugs right in. I started getting real lazy last year and stopped dragging out the 50 amp cord every time we got home.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Dan50
Explorer
Explorer
30 amp plug in installed, plugged in 24/7. Sitting on a commercial grade asphalt parking pad.
Dan
2014 Ram SLT CC LB 4X4 Cummins Dually
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I ran 30 amp circuit out to my 50 amp Montana. Plugged in 24/7 when home.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
When our house was built 21 years ago, I had a 30 amp RV outlet installed just inside the 3rd stall garage door where I back the trailer up to when it is home before and after a camping trip. I also had a SS cleanout installed at a convenient location in the driveway for dumping my holding tanks.
'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
oilslick wrote:
Gooselover wrote:
For those of you that have stated that your RV is plugged in all the time.....why do you have it plugged in all the time?????

Over the summer I leave the fridge stocked and running on electric also having it plugged in keeps the battery charged, things like the TV antenna booster, carbon monoxide detector and propane detector quickly run down the battery. Over the winter the battery comes out and the 5ver unplugged.

Same story for us. Battery is out right now.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021