cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about getting a dually for my new fiver

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if it will fit through my eight foot wide garage door.

Length and height should not be a problem for this truck and my garage. Do any of you with duallys have problems getting through an eight foot wide door?

ETA: My maximum clearance due to trim on the door is 93". This is 3" short of 8 feet.
30 REPLIES 30

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Sea Six wrote:

Length and height should not be a problem for this truck and my garage. Do any of you with duallys have problems getting through an eight foot wide door?

ETA: My maximum clearance due to trim on the door is 93". This is 3" short of 8 feet.

Why rely on what fits in somebody else's garage??.:h

Get out your tape measure!!

Check measurements for H W L - don't forget the mirrors in the "folded in" position and added length of after-market bumpers, etc.

~

LOL

I measured what I own, which at this point in time is just the garage. My Uncle "measured" the distance across the fenders at "eight feet." I'm not certain his measurements were accurate. ๐Ÿ™‚

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
Sea Six wrote:
My garage doors are 93" maximum clearance on the width. These are 8' garage doors, not 9'.

My question is, would YOUR dually fit in my garage?

Yes, but your door opening would be compromised.;)
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

greende
Explorer
Explorer
YakFishMo wrote:
Sea Six wrote:
My garage doors are 93" maximum clearance on the width. These are 8' garage doors, not 9'.

Whoa! Nope! Mine would not fit.

X2
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

YakFishMo
Explorer
Explorer
Sea Six wrote:

Whoa! Nope! Mine would not fit.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS
2015 F-350 6.7 CC DRW

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Sea Six wrote:

Why rely on what fits in somebody else's garage??.:h

Get out your tape measure!!

Check measurements for H W L - don't forget the mirrors in the "folded in" position and added length of after-market bumpers, etc.

~

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend you measure the truck you plan to buy. My Dodge is 103" to the sidewalls of the tires. Fenders are only narrower by 1/2-1" each side.
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
My DRW fits. 3" to spare on each side. I always back in, it seems to be easier to pull out. Lengthwise, it just fits as it is 21.6' long.

Bingo........I always Back in.....you can watch the mirrors...to be sure you are clear.................and pulling out...forward is always easier.......................plus, when you are parking....it means you are finished driving...more in touch with your vehicle, rather than just starting out.........!!:W
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
My fenders are 94" so you would have a inch clearance on each side :E I think that one tunnel in the Black Hills is 8' wide and I didn't chance it without mirrors.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

YakFishMo
Explorer
Explorer
I have about 4 inches on either side. I sure am glad that I have power fold mirrors! I have a tennis ball tied with a string on the bottom of the door so it hangs exactly where the center of my steering wheel needs to be in order to be centered in the garage door. I line up on that one and then, I have another one hanging for my windshield to touch. When it touches, I have an inch in front of the bumper and an inch behind the bumper! That's called precision parking. I bought a laser to mount in the grill of my truck with the idea that I would place some crosshairs to line up on. However, I'm so comfortable with parking it, I probably don't need to mess with the laser!
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS
2015 F-350 6.7 CC DRW

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
rattleNsmoke wrote:
Standard garage doors are 7'5".

Around here standard doors have been 9' wide for a looooong time. Actual opening of my door is 8'10 3/4". My dually fits with about 2" to spare on each side. My 7' high door isn't adjusted to go to the maximum height but it fits anyway.

greende
Explorer
Explorer
My DRW fits. 3" to spare on each side. I always back in, it seems to be easier to pull out. Lengthwise, it just fits as it is 21.6' long.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Standard garage doors are 7'5". With my old GM dually, I could back in and fit....barely. Driving in I had to fold my trucker style mirrors into the cab.
Mike
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

azandy70
Explorer
Explorer
I think you meant a 9 foot door. That would be the standard. I don't think there is any chance of getting in an 8 foot door without pulling in both mirrors.
My Ford only has a few inches to spare on the 9 foot door we have here.
2011 F350 SRW 4x4 Crew cab short box

2012 KZ Stone Ridge. 36UL

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
It should "just fit" but you're going to have to be on your game putting it in the garage and baking it out! Mine just fits, I don't have a width issue as we have a two car garage but I only have two inches to spare height wise and I have to carefully nose the truck against the back wall and there's only two inches to spare closing the overhead. But it fits!!! LOL

Dan