cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Those with bumper pull TH's.....

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
I have been going back and forth between bunkhouse trailers and fifth wheels, and am now starting to really look at TH's. I ride quads, my 6 year old son does too, and my 3 year old is just starting, so a TH makes sense. Seems like the garage areas double nicely for kids back there, so here I am....

I have a 2014 SRW Ram 3500 Megacab CTD on order and am trying to decide between a bumper pull or a fifth wheel TH...most all the fifth TH's I like are quite big and we would be using this for camping without quads for at least 60-70% of the time..the rest would be using it to haul quads...I cant justify 15000lbs behind me going down the road to camp at state parks (most of the time).

So, for those that have bumper pull TH's, what hitch are you using? Reason I ask is they all have much heavier tongue weights than a normal trailer....local dealers always recommend Equalizer around here, but I would likely want to get a propride hitch if I go this route. Anyone using a PP or Hensley hitch with their TH's? I am guessing they would need to be adjusted differently each time since some times there would be quads in the back and other times there wouldnt be?

Finally, can you get 2 full size quads in a 10ft garage?? I dont think I will be able to (and that is a huge sticking point)...I am thinking a 12ft garage is needed for 2 full sized atv's....thoughts?
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie
26 REPLIES 26

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard of guys draing down the carbs and transporting quads upright. Shut off the gas and give the oil a chance to sellle when you take them out. Anybody tried that?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
TexasChaps wrote:

I have a KZ MXT-20, there is enough room for 2 quads, or 1 quad and two small off road bikes, or 2 "normal" motorcycles, or in my usual case, 1 motorcycle and 4 coolers of beer.. LOL..

Measured tongue weight with toys has not exceeded 750 lbs so far.
I have a Reese pro series WDH rated at 10,000/1000 lbs. quite often I look back just to check if it's still there.. it tows that well..

I really wanted the MXT-20 to work for me because I have a 1600# payload F-150. But I also wanted a camper that can hold my DL650 and my EXC525 motorcycles with a bed still available without unloading the bikes. By my measurements, the two will not fit side by side and together they are too long to leave the front bed down with both in the camper. I'm having a difficult time finding one to fit my wants that is light enough for my truck.
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
To tell you the truth when I am towing my Bumper Pull TH at 36.5 length I don't even give it a thought. But backing into a tight spot can becomve challenging and I don't go down small roads where there might not be a turn around... I have never drug the rear of my TH but I am aware of steep driveways. A good rule is if you see a bunch of gouge marks in the ashpalt don't go that way!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
jlud wrote:
The length and wait you described makes what I just ordered come to mind. Let me warn you up front I am a newb, but for a 12 foot garage, around 38 length, and 14k max, xlr thunderbolt 300x12 fits the bill. Would be enough for now and later I think. The only thing this unit doesn't have is a loft area or the island kitchen, but best I could find and I plan on using my f250 for it as pin weight book says 1840....

Congrats on the new rig! I had not seen that one before, but you are right on...it has about everything I would be looking for and the right size. Thanks for sharing!
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
38' bumper pull toyhauler.......Really? I towed a 2 bedroom TT once for a friend, just to move it from one place to another, granted it was nothing to tow with our F350 psd, but the length was insane in every situation.

38' BP TH......sure, why not. Do it with a F150!!!
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Bedlam
I had an 11K+ lb bumper pull Weekend Warrior. It was just within my rated 1250 lb WDH rating. Other models were heavier on the hitch and people upgraded to Class V 2.5" hitches that had greater capacity. TorkLift makes really beefy hitches for the truck camper crowd allowing for extensions and heavy towing. Some of these hitch ratings even exceed OEM wheel capacity.

You will be able to tow just about any bumper pull TH out on the market. The advantage of a fifth wheel will be shorter overall length for the same space, but pin weights can be a challenge for some trucks once you fill the cab with family.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
The length and wait you described makes what I just ordered come to mind. Let me warn you up front I am a newb, but for a 12 foot garage, around 38 length, and 14k max, xlr thunderbolt 300x12 fits the bill. Would be enough for now and later I think. The only thing this unit doesn't have is a loft area or the island kitchen, but best I could find and I plan on using my f250 for it as pin weight book says 1840....

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the bumper pull because I have a canopy on my truck and I can use the back of the truck to carry alot of extra must haves...

My TH is 36.5 ft total length. I have a seperate garage and haul one full size bike about 900 lbs. I don't notice any difference when towing empty. I have a storage box on the tongue with four deep cycle batteries two propane tanks and a TW of 1350lbs. I also have pass through storage right up front. My TH when loaded comes in between 11500 and 12000 lbs. I had to upgrade my hitch to a 16k. I use a WDH rated at 14k with two anti sway friction bars and air bags.

Grunt, 2000 lbs TW, really!

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Once ya go 5vr, you never look back, its that much better.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently in a delimea now with the WD hitch that the dealer threw in for me. My TW is up near 2000# and the Equailizer is only rated for 1400# TW. Blue OX has a WD hitch capable of a TW of 2k so....Talking with the dealer about their screw up right now. Edit: I have now towing issues with this TH either. For me I couldn't give up my 8' bed.
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Kind of crazy but I can fit a Rhino, Raptor 250, and LT50 in my lil ol Weekend Warrior FK19. And with the Rhino in the back tongue weight isn't that bad and I can get another full size quad in the back of the truck and sit level while towing. We are starting to outgrow the trailer though.

OP just watch your pin weight with the SRW setup. 5er is the way to go if you have the truck for it.

Thanks for the info. I should be good on pin weight for all but the biggest TH's....payload capacity of truck should be about 4200lbs give or take (which is why I want to stay away from the 40ft'ers and the 16000lb GVWR th's...thinking 14k max would be about as high as I would want to go...but them big ones sure are nice!!
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of crazy but I can fit a Rhino, Raptor 250, and LT50 in my lil ol Weekend Warrior FK19. And with the Rhino in the back tongue weight isn't that bad and I can get another full size quad in the back of the truck and sit level while towing. We are starting to outgrow the trailer though.

OP just watch your pin weight with the SRW setup. 5er is the way to go if you have the truck for it.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
gtsum wrote:
I have been going back and forth between bunkhouse trailers and fifth wheels, and am now starting to really look at TH's. I ride quads, my 6 year old son does too, and my 3 year old is just starting, so a TH makes sense. Seems like the garage areas double nicely for kids back there, so here I am....

I have a 2014 SRW Ram 3500 Megacab CTD on order and am trying to decide between a bumper pull or a fifth wheel TH...most all the fifth TH's I like are quite big and we would be using this for camping without quads for at least 60-70% of the time..the rest would be using it to haul quads...I cant justify 15000lbs behind me going down the road to camp at state parks (most of the time).

So, for those that have bumper pull TH's, what hitch are you using? Reason I ask is they all have much heavier tongue weights than a normal trailer....local dealers always recommend Equalizer around here, but I would likely want to get a propride hitch if I go this route. Anyone using a PP or Hensley hitch with their TH's? I am guessing they would need to be adjusted differently each time since some times there would be quads in the back and other times there wouldnt be?

Finally, can you get 2 full size quads in a 10ft garage?? I dont think I will be able to (and that is a huge sticking point)...I am thinking a 12ft garage is needed for 2 full sized atv's....thoughts?

I have a KZ MXT-20, there is enough room for 2 quads, or 1 quad and two small off road bikes, or 2 "normal" motorcycles, or in my usual case, 1 motorcycle and 4 coolers of beer.. LOL..

Measured tongue weight with toys has not exceeded 750 lbs so far.
I have a Reese pro series WDH rated at 10,000/1000 lbs. quite often I look back just to check if it's still there.. it tows that well..

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the insight everyone. My kids are 6 and 3, so full size quads are years off. A 40ft hauler might be in the cards down the road, but it would be several years from now and I am likely to buy what I need and want now, and then buy something else when my needs and wants change. The more I think about it the less appealing a bumper pull TH is to me. I certainly want a separate garage and a 12ft seems to be min....as such I am going to look for a fifth wheel hauler perhaps around 38ft and 14k GVWR...anymore than that and I think a duallie might be better suited and since I just ordered the 3500 SRW Cummins, a duallie isnt happening for quite a while (if ever!)
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome