cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tight turn across narrow culvert?

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
We have purchased a lot on a creek off of the Pamlico River....we are very excited. But there is one problem. I have to make a left turn across a 3' wide ditch that has a 13' wide drive/culvert. I had to widen my driveway to 16' and I just barely make it. I'm looking for ideas on how to temporarily extend the culvert. My hair-brain idea is to cut 1/2" plywood into 4 = 2'x4' pieces, laminate them and use block for support on the right side for my truck front tires. Any ideas on how to make this turn?

34' 5th and F250 w/6.75' bed
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC
33 REPLIES 33

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Backing into the drive might be easier or might not but you don't want to find out the hard way.

Backing in would be a way, but the short rig the OP is dealing with should not be necessary

That's basically what I suggested but without more details, we don't know if it's possible or necessary only that the OP is having difficulty.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
That amount and size of plywood will snap as soon as you put load on it.

Not going to speculate on what you should do as I am not there to assess the conditions.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Back in.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Gooma wrote:
No desire to extend the culvert, but willing to chance damage to truck or RV using a temporary bridge?

Nothing here helps the OP , they didn’t ask for criticism.

Extending the drive seems the best solution.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Without seeing it I would think you could work it into the drive with some careful back and forth. I could back my 34' 5er into my narrow driveway from my also narrow street. Not easy, but doable. And I did not have a culvert to worry about. If you do not feel good about your backing, try to find someone who is better.

BUT. Either way, have a spotter and move very slowing. If you get too near the edge, stop and start over. I saw someone drop their 5er off a culvert at a campground we were at several years ago. Not pretty. Had to have a heavy duty wrecker come in, lift the rear of the trailer, and hold it up as both backed out of the situation. Some damage to the bottom of the trailer.

If a one time thing, then give it a try. Otherwise do it right and extend the culvert.

mlight
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with valhalla360. If OP cannot turn in and make the cut, backing in would work better as you can cut the corner sharper. Just remember that puts added stress on the tires. Not to mention a possible traffic flagger. Best option would be to extend the culvert like others have mentioned.
2016 Jayco Seismic 4250
43' Triple Axle Toy Hauler

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Is it your driveway? Just span it with a steel plate? Obviously suport that plate.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

Backing into the drive might be easier or might not but you don't want to find out the hard way.

Backing in would be a way, but the short rig the OP is dealing with should not be necessary

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless the road agency is fighting you on widening the drive, just add a few feet to the culvert. Much easier to do it right vs making do.

Likewise, any kind of temporary bridge that I would trust is going to be very heavy to move in and out of place.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
No desire to extend the culvert, but willing to chance damage to truck or RV using a temporary bridge?

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
I can't see the issue. A 2 lane road will likely be 25 foot wide. King pin to where tandem pivots likely well under 30ft.
Crowd hard to right until your past drive, crank hard left aiming the left side of truck for right side of bridge. This puts trailer axle as close to in line with driveway as can. Stop just before steer axle leaves pavement. Cut hard passenger, back up enough that hard cut to driver will let you get TV as far right as culvert will allow.Stop just before steer axle leaves pavement. Cut hard passenger, back up enough that hard cut to driver will let you get TV as far right as culvert will allow. Once the rear axle is across, cut to passenger if needed, then back to driver to get TV back on drive before trailer gets off.
Ain't no step.

I've been running that thru my mind. If I initially go just past the drive 2-3' so I over-shoot the drive. Turn hard left and pull up to the edge of road, then turn steering to passenger side and back up. That will allow my front tires to make it on the second try and it might get the RV axles far enough right to make it.and it might get the RV axles far enough right to make it.
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't see the issue. A 2 lane road will likely be 25 foot wide. King pin to where tandem pivots likely well under 30ft.
Crowd hard to right until your past drive, crank hard left aiming the left side of truck for right side of bridge. This puts trailer axle as close to in line with driveway as can. Stop just before steer axle leaves pavement. Cut hard passenger, back up enough that hard cut to driver will let you get TV as far right as culvert will allow. Once the rear axle is across, cut to passenger if needed, then back to driver to get TV back on drive before trailer gets off.
Ain't no step.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Culverts and fill are cheap. That's pretty low ground there. When the next hurricane comes do you really want to have issues getting the rig out of there?
Puma 30RKSS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you plan on putting the trailer in there and never moving it again, you'll need a relatively easy way in and out. I agree with just bite the bullet and put in a wide enough culvert make it do-able. It would probably cost less than trying to get the trailer out of the ditch and repaired. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
riltri wrote:
No desire to put in a new colvert if possible.

Well, there you go.... I can't think of anyway to make your rig do anything else than you can now, so???

Your idea of building some sort of 'bridge', would just not work for me... Just add some culvert, some gravel, dirt, whatever to make the driveway wider and be done with it??

That's just my opinion with what info you provided, so unless there is more to the deal, there you go.. 🙂

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.