cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet issue

bigdave720
Explorer
Explorer
My toilet, a Dometic 320, has suddenly started acting like there's a vapor lock when I flush it. I step on the pedal and it burps and sometimes even burps so bad it splashes some on the floor. What is causing this? Thought it might be a full tank so I emptied it but it didn't help. Any ideas?
2001 Fleetwood Wilderness 31G
29 REPLIES 29

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like some brute force is warranted to get it out. What do you mean by a "tank cleaner thing"? Is that a flush wand?
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

bigdave720
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it's the pyramid. Vent was clear all the way into the tank. Got a friend to come over and try to clear the poo pile. Pushed through it with a tank cleaner thing on the water hose and got it cleared. New problem is the tank cleaner thing is now caught (they pushed it all the way into the tank) and can't get it back out! No idea what to do now.

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
from hussbuss. Had the same problem with our cruisers Enterra. Found out the bee's had plugged the vent pipe solid. We just purchased this trailer after it sat on the dealers lot for a year. The dealer added a piece of screen under the vent cap to discourage the bee's.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We had a pyramid, and dealer had me use U Digest it. We put in a quart, and it soon took care of it. Today we use U Disest it on a regular basis. No more poop build up.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bigdave720 wrote:
As mentioned in op, I had the tank emptied when it first started and I don't leave the valve open. I have someone coming to check out the vent and/or the pyramid. Praying it's the vent! Thanks for all the suggestions. Will report back with solution.

I'd rather have the Death Pile than a loose vent. Easier, though messier, fix. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
Ours did this. Our toilet doesn't drop right into the tank, there is a pipe over to the tank. My wife wasn't flushing enough water, and it partially plugged in the tube. I now carry a six foot hand toilet snake in the trailer. I don't need it often, but when I do, I'm glad to have it.

Does yours go into a pipe?
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

bigdave720
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned in op, I had the tank emptied when it first started and I don't leave the valve open. I have someone coming to check out the vent and/or the pyramid. Praying it's the vent! Thanks for all the suggestions. Will report back with solution.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Just a guess...have you been leaving your black tank dump valve open while camping?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I got my poo pyramid buster at walley world.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
As Rhagfo suggests, you have developed a pile of poo and tp at the bottom of the pipe. This normally happens because folks flush the toilet without using enough water. You'll need to physically bust up the pyramid. One way to do that is to stick a water hose down the open toilet and flush away the pile. Once clear, make sure you use enough water whenever there are any solids being flushed.

Yep X2

X3!! Or you need to dump your tank!
cpaulsen

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
As Rhagfo suggests, you have developed a pile of poo and tp at the bottom of the pipe. This normally happens because folks flush the toilet without using enough water. You'll need to physically bust up the pyramid. One way to do that is to stick a water hose down the open toilet and flush away the pile. Once clear, make sure you use enough water whenever there are any solids being flushed.

Yep X2
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
The poo pyramid at the bottom of the tube, not enough water with each flush.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Home Skillet wrote:
The vent maybe restricted.

X2

Air has to escape in order for stuff to go into tank
If vent line is obstructed then air has to escape up thru toilet line hence the 'burp' and splash when you flush

Go upon roof....remove black tank vent cap
See if top of vent line is level with roof line OR has it dropped down ?

If dropped down vent line may be sitting on bottom of tank

If level with roof line.....run a garden hose down vent and blast water thru........tank drain valve open so you know water is flowing thru vent
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
The vent maybe restricted.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY