cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Vehicle Preferences

cemmett
Explorer
Explorer
We are carefully planning our investments for a fifth wheel and tow vehicle. We have had some experience with Ram 3500 dually, diesel and have read good reports on their performance. We see a lot of GM products and Fords towing the larger fivers, which is what we are considering. We are also paying attention to rear end ratios and have been told that 4.73 is about the right ones for towing. So, the question is what advice, pro and con, will be helpful? The seasoned RVers (you guys) can offer the best firsthand input. Thanks for your reports.
63 REPLIES 63

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Allworth wrote:
Does anybody out there remember what the OP's question really was???

Yep, He was looking for a TV to tow about a 40' 16,000# to 20,000# 5er. He stated back on page 2 I think that the 5er was 40' weighing in at 16,000# didn't make it clear if that was Dry or GVWR.

Then once again we took a hard left into a diesel vs. diesel debate. Yes Cummins has bigger parts, bigger because of fewer, or because just beefier hard to tell.
What I do know is that with a six cylinder there are fewer parts moving and that can go bad.
Here in Portland we have a Cummins NW parts and service center, parts are cheaper than dealer and parts houses. If I needed service Cummins trained mechanics are a good thought.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

thompsjk
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man wrote:
A couple of years ago there was a post on another site showing the engine internals, Ford, Duramax, and Cummins! The side by side pics were dramatic, hands down Cummins was much beeffer than either of the other competators by a whole lot, i.e. Connecting rods both Ford and GM were like fingers and Cummins was an arm! In line six simple rugged and durable, can not beat that. That said both Ford and Chevy have creature comforts and things that may interest you! Drive all three, and go with what suits you!

And it does not mean anything. It was a marketing tool Dodge used a few years ago. A six cylinder making the same power as an eight cylinder has a lot more stress on the connecting rods. So it is really comparing apples and oranges to compare the connecting rods from a six cylinder to an eight cylinder. Even comparing the Duramax and Power Stroke without know what they are made of are pointless.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anybody out there remember what the OP's question really was???
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
hone eagle wrote:
The size of the moving parts is directly a factor in work transfer to the crank ,words like medium and light are terms from the marketing dept.
Iam sure you can find stationary and marine apps for any diesel.
In longevity terms the cummins is the best in terms of bearing life (B10 B50) also not really the whole story anymore -the B numbers are from the '40s when bearing were the achillies heel- not relevant anymore IMHO.

Yep, there were a hand full of 7.3 powerstrokes that were used in marine applications.

Cummins claims over 3 million B series engines have been produced!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
The size of the moving parts is directly a factor in work transfer to the crank ,words like medium and light are terms from the marketing dept.
Iam sure you can find stationary and marine apps for any diesel.
In longevity terms the cummins is the best in terms of bearing life (B10 B50) also not really the whole story anymore -the B numbers are from the '40s when bearing were the achillies heel- not relevant anymore IMHO.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
hone eagle wrote:
That picture is a farce,
And I own a inline 6. Divide the power by the number of pistons .
30% bigger sure , there is less of them to do the same work.
can't believe people get sucked in so easily.

What you fail to acknowledge is the difference between a light duty diesels like the PowerStroke and Duramax, and a medium duty engines like the 5.9 and 6.7 Cummins. How many of the first two are used in industrial, marine and commercial applications?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
That picture is a farce,
And I own a inline 6. Divide the power by the number of pistons .
30% bigger sure , there is less of them to do the same work.
can't believe people get sucked in so easily.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
10:30 hi guys

No picture ME , how about a movie?

skip to 10:30
Newmar 34rsks 2008

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Coach-man wrote:
A couple of years ago there was a post on another site showing the engine internals, Ford, Duramax, and Cummins! The side by side pics were dramatic, hands down Cummins was much beeffer than either of the other competators by a whole lot, i.e. Connecting rods both Ford and GM were like fingers and Cummins was an arm! In line six simple rugged and durable, can not beat that. That said both Ford and Chevy have creature comforts and things that may interest you! Drive all three, and go with what suits you!

You mean this!

And this one.

You need to show the same pictures of the cummins V-8 and the fiat V-6 so you will understand why the different reasons for different length of rods and pistons.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you are biased at all. :W
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmachine wrote:
Granted I may be biased, but my class 6 medium duty Bering MD-23 has been very satisfactory. Weighs 1 1/2 times as much as a 1 ton dually( which is classified as a light duty truck), has better brakes, much shorter turning radius, better driver visibility and eliminates the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome I experienced with lesser trucks-all were Dodge Cummins-good trucks but over matched. 9/10 mpg towing 18,500lb trailer and 2,600lb car and cruising @ 55/70 mph.
Good Luck with whatever you select.

gmachine
Explorer
Explorer
Granted I may be biased, but my class 6 medium duty Bering MD-23 has been very satisfactory. Weighs 1 1/2 times as much as a 1 ton dually( which is classified as a light duty truck), has better brakes, much shorter turning radius, better driver visibility and eliminates the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome I experienced with lesser trucks-all were Dodge Cummins-good trucks but over matched. 9/10 mpg towing 18,500lb trailer and 2,600lb car and cruising @ 55/70 mph.
Good Luck with whatever you select.
Bering MD23(Cummins ISB)w/60" flattop Kenworth sleeper & 2005 Excel 35MKO Limited, 2006 Scion XA.

65aircooled
Explorer
Explorer
It's a lot of money you'll be forking out. I drove all three before writing the check. I am partial on the Cummins because it gave me what I wanted. I read things on the Power Stroke Forum that steered me away from buying that, I didn't like the look/feel of the 15 Dmax, and as said above, the 3500 Ram fit the bill for me like a glove.
6000 miles on my second CTD and I love it more and more every day. Mine is a DD as well, so I opted out of the DRW, but based on your trailer weight, thats what you need. If you read on the forums, all 3 have their good and bad, none of them is perfect.
Best of luck with the purchase.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coach-man wrote:

You mean this!

And this one.