Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing at 75mph

Smoke90
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys,

Just got the RV last saturday.
We are leaving for a trip in 2 weeks. Denver to moab.
I70 posted speed limit is 75mph as soon as you done with the two passes.
The techs are the shop we bought the RV told me i can drive 75 mph.
First i read that the tires on Toy haulers are only rated for 65mph
Then this rig is big, heavy and long.
I am concern driving at this speed.
But I also don't like the idea to go too slow and be pass all the times by big truck.
Also do you increase the gain of your brake controller when going down hill to be safer.
Does not seem that the engine brake on the truck does much with the 25000 lbs (16+ for the RV and 9 for the truck)
Feed back appreciated
Thanks
37 REPLIES 37

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I tried the "At max possible speed" before. I have also towed at 50-55 before. I now tow at best fuel economy for my truck (when safely possible).

With the 5ver loaded heavy, driving at 63 mph indicated, I get 12.4 to 12.5 hand calculated. (Display exaggerates by +2 mpg)

At 55 indicated, I get the same as driving at 72 mph indicated, 9.8 mpg hand calculated.

I proved this myself towing from Houston to Chicago. First trip I was in a hurry to get there and set up. Job was starting soon. I had to buy fuel in Illinois (ouch).

Fast forward three years later and the job is over. I first rode my motorcycle home. Rode like a mad man- 80-85 mph the whole way. Left Chicago at 5 a.m.- made Texarkana at 7 p.m. Funny thing though, I passed the same semi's multiple times that day on I-55. I kept stopping for fuel. Left Texarkana the next morning at 7 a.m. and was home in Houston by noon. Whew, glad that was over and I did not become a statistic.

Anyway's, I fly back to Chicago, hitch up the trailer and decided to go for max economy. I was on the road by 6:30 a.m. and stopped for the night just east of Texarkana at 9:30 pm. Up and back on the road by 8 a.m., finally made Houston at 3 p.m. (Several wrecks closed down the highway periodically that day. End result-I made the trip on a single fillup (109 gallon/1376 miles). No highway diesel markups for me and I enjoyed the trip without feeling stressed.

This works for me. YMMV

pressure_welder
Explorer
Explorer
i set the cruise at 90km/h as we pull the fifth wheel and boat (76') just because posted speed limit says 100 or 110km/h dosent mean for a second thats what i should be doing! if people need to pass me then go right ahead! 75MPH seems insane while pulling a fiver to me
2015 RAM cummins 3500 dually Limited
2018 Montana high country
crestliner sportfish

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I never drove my logging trucks or grain trucks 75mph nor would I pull an RV that fast.RV 60-65 tops without wind.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
About the fastest I ever tow is 70MPH out in the middle of the Nevada desert. Everywhere else I keep it under 65. I'm not in that big of a hurry that I want to risk the lives of those one the road or throw money into the wind burning excessive amounts of fuel.

In CA as long as your not passing big rigs you can safely travel 62-64MPH without having to worry about getting pulled over. I don't think anyone actually does 55 any more.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a trailer owner but this post intrigued me so without reading the entire thread, I am going to comment.

In California we have a law regarding "driving at the speed that is safe for the conditions", it means conditions may allow you to drive a higher speed or require that you drive at a slower speed than posted. For me at nearly 74 years of age and piloting around about 14K lbs of MoHo, cruising on an open interstate doesn't exceed 60, except to pass. With the towed attached, 58 except to pass. Two reasons, I don't want a ticket and I feel like I'm in control at 60 or under. On local roads I usually drive slower than the speed limit but fast enough as not to impede traffic.

I'm new to RVing, started in 1998, I have never had anyone show me their IQ or have to honk to get me to pull over because I'm blocking traffic. I also feel that the one or two unsafe situations I've been in were due to someone not knowing that I can't stop on a dime.

This has been a long way around for me to say to you, be reasonable and prudent and you will be safe.

Right now I am sitting in a hotel watching the sunrise with my granddaughter on the balcony asleep a, my grandson on the sofabed, my SDW(super darling wife) handing me the paper and imagining in the captains chair on my way someplace with friendly campers and good fishing.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I did tow at that speed on one of my first trips. Had an unexpected stop and faced a CG that closed to entry at 10PM. Hauled and made it with 5 minutes to spare. Had I to do it again, I'd've simply camped outside the gate until the next morning. Frankly, had more to do with the DW wanting to "get there" than me. What can ya do?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

path1
Explorer
Explorer
With age and experience comes paranoia, slow reflexes and occasional dementia. All the Interstates have a Geritol lane on the right so everyone should be happy

Takes some people longer than others to figure out the faster you go, the more its going hurt if you hit something.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
With the right tires on I'd have no problem running 70 mph. But I'm not hauling as much as the OP. Co and Utah both have posted tow speeds of 75mph.
I wonder if the techs misunderstood the OP when he asked about towing speeds. Maybe they were thinking mph and not tire ratings.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad to see we have some sane folks on this site. Your salesman and mechanic evidently are trying to sell you another RV soon. I have had a Class A, 34' 5er and now a 40' 5er. Let other folks pass you. Don't go over 65mph tops. If you had a blow out you will be deep 6 going 70.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Youth and education are no match for age and experience, mixed with common sense. If you need to fly, use an airplane, not a RV. They do not fly well!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

beaslwd
Explorer
Explorer
60MPH steady, with maybe an occasional burst of SPEED to 62, absolutely no need for anything over that, We're retired and don't have be there overnight, (we're not UPS).

Drive safe.

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
62/65 we are in no hurry and it just fells better at that speed. Our G614 Goodyears are properly rated but it is still 62/65. It seems that in the last few years the 18 wheelers are going slower as we are not passed as often by the big trucks. cars yes, they tailgate, cut in front of you and are the worst hazard on the road.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever I see anyone towing a travel trailer, 5ver, or driving an A at 75, I just wonder what the rush is? What's really funny is that when we've traveled cross country, very often I see the same rigs passing me again later in the day.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Smoke90 wrote:
Thanks to all of you for the answer
By the way I was really skeptical to drive the rig at 75
It make sense that most of you drive 55/60 mph
I did the math to and it is not worth the money
Safety first
Don t worry i will not go 75

Smart move. For what it is worth, just last week as we poked along at 62 in a 70 mile per hour zone on an interstate, we had a fifth wheel blast by us, at least 75 MPH.

Five or six miles later, there he was, on the side on the road with a blow out.

That was a first for us.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006