cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing capacity guide?

emtp82
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a guide that I can reference to see what the towing capacities of trucks are? We are getting a 2016 FOREST RIVER CEDAR CREEK 36CKTS delivered on Tuesday and I need a bigger truck. I'm leaning towards a 1 ton just to be safe, however, I don't want to guess incorrectly and have problems down the road. The agreement with the wife is to buy a used truck now and then in a couple years buy a new one. So I am searching through a ton of different years of trucks.
10 REPLIES 10

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I agree, you should be able to get info online. Another idea, is go to some area dealerships and look at actual trucks. They will have door panel stickers with actual ratings for the given truck.

IMO, you will need a 350/3500 SRW diesel, as a minimum. With nearly 40' length, a DRW would likely be the better tool. If you don't want DRW, look closely at SRW ratings, payload, axles, and max tire ratings.

Jerry

The problem with just checking the door stickers is that most dealer stock have the lower gvw. Dealers rather have flash on the floor to sell than utility.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

jimmac28
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
At over 16,000 GVWR your best choice is a 3500 dually. Brand? Your choice!

X2!
We agree, this rig would be pushing any 350/3500 SRW, best to get a DRW.

Agree with going with a Dually, especially if he is going to buy a used truck that is 2012 or older.

NC Hauler brings up a good point! Only a late model SRW should even be considered. Otherwise dually will be needed, and likely best choice anyway.

Jerry

I'm going with these guys, once I moved to a 16000lb Mobile Suite I stepped up to a dually. Its only $1500 more on a new truck and $500 on a used truck, and what you get is well worth it.
2014.5 DRV Tradition 385RSS
2013 Ford F350 Diesel DRW

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
NC Hauler wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
donn0128 wrote:

X2!

Agree with going with a Dually, especially if he is going to buy a used truck that is 2012 or older.

NC Hauler brings up a good point! Only a late model SRW should even be considered. Otherwise dually will be needed, and likely best choice anyway.

Jerry

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
donn0128 wrote:

X2!

Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:

X2!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

emtp82
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses everyone

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree, you should be able to get info online. Another idea, is go to some area dealerships and look at actual trucks. They will have door panel stickers with actual ratings for the given truck.

IMO, you will need a 350/3500 SRW diesel, as a minimum. With nearly 40' length, a DRW would likely be the better tool. If you don't want DRW, look closely at SRW ratings, payload, axles, and max tire ratings.

Jerry

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Towing guides

You will want a one ton dual rear wheel truck tho, one of the big three pickups for that heavy a fifth wheel
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Bob_Sue
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can go to trailer life.com and go to the towing guide. Possible to even just google towing rates, and see what comes up. I found a sit a few years ago but forgot what it was. Good Luck
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II