cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing Heavy 5er with SRW Truck

travisgsf
Explorer
Explorer
I personally don't as my unit is 11k dry. I see a lot of SRW diesel trucks (newer models which I know handle more than older ones) towing huge 5th wheels or toy haulers.

Any of you have a setup like this? I'm talking 14,000+lbs of dry weight. From what I see the newer 250/2500 trucks pull around 16,000-17,000 at their max.

I was curious to know how these things actually tow with that much weight. Do you feel in control? Tow weight and truck is always a huge topic on every forum. I know almost everyone says go dually but not many people do.
Travis - Houma, LA
2012 Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab FX4
Firestone Riderite Airbags
2013 Open Range RF367BHS
18K Pullrite Superglide
155 REPLIES 155

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim, looking at the RAM truck site, I see the 4x4 crew cab 8' box is listed at 49.2 feet for both the 2500 and 3500, could not find a place to add wheel type. 2x4 do not turn as sharp at 53.2 feet. No foot notes about number of rear wheels.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

dballentine
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Me Again wrote:
I am confused about why a SRW vs a DRW will have a different turning radius if the wheel base is the same and the wheel cut angle is the same, how in the turning radius greatly different?

Chris

Chris, Does seem like my dually's have a wider turning radius than a SRW truck, don't know why, but it does "SEEM" like it does....

FYI, here are the turning radius specs for 2015 Chevy 3500HD:

Reg Cab: SRW 45.9ft, DRW 45.9ft
Dbl Cab: SRW 53.1ft, DRW 52.8ft
Crw Cab: SRW 56.1ft, DRW 55.7ft
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ D/A CC LB SRW Z71
Amateur Radio KQ3T, licensed since 1965

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
I am confused about why a SRW vs a DRW will have a different turning radius if the wheel base is the same and the wheel cut angle is the same, how in the turning radius greatly different?

I do not think I would ever purchase a DRW truck. If I had the need for more the 7K like the new SRW RAM 3500's have, I would dial 1-800-Rickson and install 19.5 wheels and tires. I would however little lower gears than 3:42. Come RAM at least offer 3:73 gears in the SRW 3500.

Chris

Chris, Does seem like my dually's have a wider turning radius than a SRW truck, don't know why, but it does "SEEM" like it does....I don't know why Ram doesn't offer the same gearing in the 3500 SRW as they do in the DRW truck, ie 3:42, 3:73 and 4:10....you can get the Aisin in both if not mistaken.

and like you told me some time back, my RAWR is 9750#, due to tires, If I want to get closer to what the axle will handlel, (believe it's a little over 11,000#), then I could go with a tire with more weight capacity...Believe the 4:10 gearing would work if I went with a taller tire, though, I really wouldn't want to go that route at this time because the 5er is setting level with the truck:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
ependydad wrote:
ependydad wrote:
travisgsf wrote:
Do you feel in control?

I'll be shocked if anyone who is currently towing over their ratings admits to not feeling in control (regardless of what they actually feel). You'll get a lot of folks saying, "tows just fine" and "barely know it's back there".

You'll get a handful of responses saying they used to pull with a 2500 or SWR or whatever and upgraded to a dually and claim a "night and day difference".

And you'll get a few of us who have only pulled with a dually telling you we can't imagine towing with less.

(shrugs)

5 pages and so far I've been right. 😄

I didn't call out the bickering between the groups. These threads always bring that out in folks!

Guess I fall into the group that HAS towed the same 5er with both SRW and then Dually, BUT, never stated, difference was "night and day", but have stated, based on towing on mountainous, curvy roads, I could tell a difference in stability of the towing experience. Towing same 5er seemed to be a more stable tow...but I rarely tow on "Level" ground, so I'm basing again, on mountainous, curvy roads.

I too have towed with both srw and drw. I'm sure we have different driving styles but I like the way my srw handles better than my drw. I also tow in mountainous terrain in Tenn and Eastern Ky.

I use my trailer brake controller with my hand so that eliminates any trailer push in turns. Also, did your srw have the same sway bars as the drw trucks that you have had? That has more of an effect on control than drw's.

How much of a difference in year was the swr than the dwr that you changed to?

WOW if you have to hand control your brake controller for any reason but intentionally locking the trailers brakes you have the wrong brake controller!

You said "I use my trailer brake controller with my hand so that eliminates any trailer push in turns" that sounds like too much trailer for the truck to me.

I can say I have never felt any trailer push with 18K+ behind me. Even on California highways 101 and 1.

I have an older controller that is a time delay unit. I don't have to run it by hand, I just do it because I like the control of it that way. I run with it on max and you know that controllers like mine are impossible to drive in stop and go traffic through towns on max. The time delay is either set too fast or too slow for the ever changing driving conditions. In my line of work I have installed about all the different styles of brake controllers on our trucks and this is what works best for me.

My company truck (F350 drw) has the factory controller and it is nice but it still don't work as well in all conditions.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
AZ T&T wrote:
My 2011 Chevy Duramax 2500HD GVWR is 10,000 Lbs. - GCWR is 24,500 LBS. - GAWR Rear 6,200 Lbs. Max Trailer Weight capacity 17,200 Lbs.

Going by the above stats you would think I could tow a 17,000 lbs FW, but here is the other stat on listed "Combined weight of occupants & cargo should never exceed 2,539 lbs. That gives me about 1,700 lbs for pin weight. My FW's pin weight loaded and with 90 gallons of fresh water is 1,600 lbs. The GVWR on my FW is 10,600 LBS.

This tells me that just going by the numbers the biggest FW I should tow would be 11,000 to 11,500, but to be honest I feel my TV would safely tow a much heavier trailer.

Just thought I would add a little more fuel to this discussion!

The limiting factor usually is what the actual weight that sits on the rear axle.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 Chevy Duramax 2500HD GVWR is 10,000 Lbs. - GCWR is 24,500 LBS. - GAWR Rear 6,200 Lbs. Max Trailer Weight capacity 17,200 Lbs.

Going by the above stats you would think I could tow a 17,000 lbs FW, but here is the other stat on listed "Combined weight of occupants & cargo should never exceed 2,539 lbs. That gives me about 1,700 lbs for pin weight. My FW's pin weight loaded and with 90 gallons of fresh water is 1,600 lbs. The GVWR on my FW is 10,600 LBS.

This tells me that just going by the numbers the biggest FW I should tow would be 11,000 to 11,500, but to be honest I feel my TV would safely tow a much heavier trailer.

Just thought I would add a little more fuel to this discussion!
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
ependydad wrote:
ependydad wrote:
travisgsf wrote:
Do you feel in control?

I'll be shocked if anyone who is currently towing over their ratings admits to not feeling in control (regardless of what they actually feel). You'll get a lot of folks saying, "tows just fine" and "barely know it's back there".

You'll get a handful of responses saying they used to pull with a 2500 or SWR or whatever and upgraded to a dually and claim a "night and day difference".

And you'll get a few of us who have only pulled with a dually telling you we can't imagine towing with less.

(shrugs)

I didn't call out the bickering between the groups. These threads always bring that out in folks!

Guess I fall into the group that HAS towed the same 5er with both SRW and then Dually, BUT, never stated, difference was "night and day", but have stated, based on towing on mountainous, curvy roads, I could tell a difference in stability of the towing experience. Towing same 5er seemed to be a more stable tow...but I rarely tow on "Level" ground, so I'm basing again, on mountainous, curvy roads.

I too have towed with both srw and drw. I'm sure we have different driving styles but I like the way my srw handles better than my drw. I also tow in mountainous terrain in Tenn and Eastern Ky.

I use my trailer brake controller with my hand so that eliminates any trailer push in turns. Also, did your srw have the same sway bars as the drw trucks that you have had? That has more of an effect on control than drw's.

How much of a difference in year was the swr than the dwr that you changed to?

WOW if you have to hand control your brake controller for any reason but intentionally locking the trailers brakes you have the wrong brake controller!

You said "I use my trailer brake controller with my hand so that eliminates any trailer push in turns" that sounds like too much trailer for the truck to me.

I can say I have never felt any trailer push with 18K+ behind me. Even on California highways 101 and 1.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
ependydad wrote:
ependydad wrote:
travisgsf wrote:
Do you feel in control?

(shrugs)

Try hwy 10 coming into Palm Springs where all the wind mills are! You will love the stability of your Dually there.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
pcm1959 wrote:
Last month, I traded a perfectly GREAT 2011 Silverado Duramax, crew cab, 4x4, standard length bed pick-up for a 2013 Silverado Duramax, extended cab, 4x4, DRW pick-up.
The SRW has a post door placarded payload of 3900lbs. Its rear axle capacity was 7050 pounds which is directly related to the factory 18" tires capacity - each one rated at 3525 pounds each.
With a new fiver ordered that has an unloaded hitch weight of 3000lbs. I was concerned for mine and others safely. With 2 of us in the truck, the weight of the Pullrite Superglide hitch, and the contents of the fifth wheel....my tire capacity would be right at the limit.
For that reason, I traded the truck for safety reasons. The new truck has a payload of 5100 lbs.
I could have kept the 2011 and changed the tires to 19.5 with a much higher capacity but felt it was better to go to a dually.
I love the dually and the only difference is parking it is some spots. I love the peace of mind knowing that I have the extra capacity of the drw. Phillip

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
B.Sjulestad wrote:
I had a nice 2011 GMC Denali 2500hd D/A that I pulled my 5r with. It pulled just fine, didn't squat headlights to the sky but after reading all the forums here over the last couple of years I realized that I was just lucky I never had to test my obviously overweight TV in a bad situation. I traded that truck that I had told my family would be the last truck I would ever need in for a 2014 GMC Denali 3500hd D/A and I now know I have the truck capable of safely taking my DW and I on many miles of travels.

I hope you never have to test your 3500 either because there is a limit also. Safe travels.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a nice 2011 GMC Denali 2500hd D/A that I pulled my 5r with. It pulled just fine, didn't squat headlights to the sky but after reading all the forums here over the last couple of years I realized that I was just lucky I never had to test my obviously overweight TV in a bad situation. I traded that truck that I had told my family would be the last truck I would ever need in for a 2014 GMC Denali 3500hd D/A and I now know I have the truck capable of safely taking my DW and I on many miles of travels.
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II

I do not think I would ever purchase a DRW truck. If I had the need for more the 7K like the new SRW RAM 3500's have, I would dial 1-800-Rickson and install 19.5 wheels and tires. I would however little lower gears than 3:42. Come RAM at least offer 3:73 gears in the SRW 3500.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
2008Wildcat wrote:
I have towed a 13' 2" tall 5th with both a DRW and now a SRW truck.

Is there a difference? Sure. The DRW felt more stable in turns. I installed airbags for stability, not extra weight carrying. I am more than confident in my SRW truck.

I will gladly turn circles inside of your DRW trucks turning radius, plus find plenty of parking that isn't a mile from where I want to go. Try taking your DRW truck up the Mt. Washington Auto road....tell me how great it is there. Oh, wait, you won't be going up the road.

Everyone has their own situation and preference. If you full time, and drive around the country, park your rig, and sit there, I'm sure a DRW is the best thing since sliced bread. If you travel back roads, go visit places once you are there, and have to park your rig into tight places, SRW is great.

I can tell you, 90% of the RV delivery drivers I see on a daily basis are towing with SRW trucks.....to them, it is all about registration, maintenance, wear, being able to get in and out of tight spots, and capability.

Your preaching to the choir...I purchased a dually, based on my towing needs, and more than likely making one more purchase on a much heavier 5er... so I've got the truck. though I've never had to add air bags to any dually I've ever owned. Did have to help level a 2500 once.

No doubt you could turn circles inside the circle I would make. Never been to the part of the country you're talking about, but I've never had to park a "mile" from anywhere to have to walk somewhere, (now we're into embellishing:)). I go through drive throughs, and the dually is my daily driver.

One minute you say everyone has their preference, which is 100% correct, then it appears you get a bit mad by stating, the DRW is the "best thing since sliced bread"..."reeked with sarcasm for sure:)

I would only recommend a dually for anyone who is going to tow a very heavy 5er...It's what you get use to...I've owned a LOT of SRW trucks, and thus far, the maintenance is no more for the dually than for the SRW, (cept when you replace tires...do buy two more:)).

I do a lot of "back roading" in the states of WV, NC and VA and I've yet to not been able to get where I wanted to go...most are in the middle of no where, several you have to drive through creeks, so I guess it's what you make of it.

Again, in full agreement with you, I just don't take it to the level of preaching that the only truck one can tow with is a dually, that is inanely ridiculous, BUT, if someone is towing heavy, I may recommend a dually, but I don't spew out sarcasm or bias when I do either.

I could also tell you that 75% of all RV delivers that I see and read about on the cummins forum or the diesel place, use dually's to tow and deliver 5er's with...guess it depends on what part of the country you live in.. I sure wouldn't want to deliver or tow a 23,000# 5er around with a SRW truck when a dually would do a better job of it...Again, everything has it's place, just like a dually, just like a 3500 SRW and 2500 truck....nothing more, nothing less....Most don't need a dually, BUT, some do....I've owned all and liked all for what I needed them for.....
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed a 13' 2" tall 5th with both a DRW and now a SRW truck.

Is there a difference? Sure. The DRW felt more stable in turns. I installed airbags for stability, not extra weight carrying. I am more than confident in my SRW truck.

I will gladly turn circles inside of your DRW trucks turning radius, plus find plenty of parking that isn't a mile from where I want to go. Try taking your DRW truck up the Mt. Washington Auto road....tell me how great it is there. Oh, wait, you won't be going up the road.

Everyone has their own situation and preference. If you full time, and drive around the country, park your rig, and sit there, I'm sure a DRW is the best thing since sliced bread. If you travel back roads, go visit places once you are there, and have to park your rig into tight places, SRW is great.

I can tell you, 90% of the RV delivery drivers I see on a daily basis are towing with SRW trucks.....to them, it is all about registration, maintenance, wear, being able to get in and out of tight spots, and capability.
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
our last former truck was a Chevy 3500 Dually, our current truck is Freightliner Sportchassis .... prior to them we towed with a variety of single rear wheel driver trucks .... at one time I bought into all of the stereotypical reasons why a dually was the only way to go when towing heavy campers, boats and trailers .... hundreds of thousands of miles through all of the lower 48, over the Rockies and prairies have convinced me that should I ever buy another truck for towing it will not be a dually .... it will be a late model, one ton, single rear wheel truck .... with the capabilities of the new generation of trucks, I'm convinced that the days of having to have a dually for the vast majority of campers on the market is history .... folks most certainly should go with whatever style truck best meets their needs

Jim

Don't recollect anyone saying anyone HAD to own a dually...I don't have the obvious experience you have....I only know what I know from towing pop-up's, travel trailers, hilos and 5er's all through the mountains with plain old regular cars, and trucks....no big deal, been doing it for about 40 years now....No where did anyone state that you absolutely needed a dually to tow with....that's a bit ludicrous..

If I found a SRW truck that would do what I needed it to do, that would be what I would own..but I'm one of the "Weight police", you know, one of those stupid fools who actually tries to keep within his trucks GVWR....not the RAWR mind you, but the GVWR...something unheard of now a day's and stupid in most peoples thinking.

I merely stated, that towing a 16,000# 5er though the very curvy, quite steep at times, mountainous roads in WV, TN, VA and NC that I've towed in....just so happens, I towed the same 5er with both...I Merely stated that the towing experience in my infinite stupidity was more stable when cornering on these up and down, steep curvy mountains. If the weight of the 5er doesn't call for a dually, then why buy one....don't recollect many, if any stating such....but hey, you have far more experience than I, and with much, much larger equipment, I'm merely speaking from towing rv's a with a silly pick up truck, or a car or an SUV....

"sterotypical"...man I can't compete with your infinite wisdom, I bow to superiority on the subject...I merely stated if one is towing HEAVY, ie 16,000# or more in the mountains, I think a dually would offer a more stable tow, but I'm not real bright....you have a HDH, I'm not in the same class.....you win, your right because...well, you have far more experience and know much more about all this......'nuff said.

.......gotta ask, why are you towing such a light weight 5er with a HDH? It's far more than a dually...one should be able to tow that with a brand new 2500....just curious.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet