cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toy hauler power winch

bud_ashpole
Explorer
Explorer
Have recently purchased a Evergreen 32G Toy Hauler. I am considering adding a winch so I can pull up my Honda Goldwing Trike backwards and then drive it off. I am 70 plus and not sure I like to drive in application. Any suggestions about how to go about this
8 REPLIES 8

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Your not pulling a Jeep out of a ditch. Light duty boat winch should work fine up a ramp.

endobear
Explorer
Explorer
Buddy uses a portable jumper box to winch his 2500# sand rail into his enclosed. Works.
I welded a receiver into my sand rail frame and slide a little 5000# winch into that and use the sand rails battery to winch it up. No worries about the cable tearing up the trailer this way.

sunnybrooktoyha
Explorer
Explorer
Your goldwing has reverse. Just back it in. Good luck.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
bud ashpole wrote:
Have recently purchased a Evergreen 32G Toy Hauler. I am considering adding a winch so I can pull up my Honda Goldwing Trike backwards and then drive it off. I am 70 plus and not sure I like to drive in application. Any suggestions about how to go about this
I installed a winch in our toy hauler so I could take our jetski and trailer with us--especially when we visit the Fla Keys. The jetski and trailer, with a full-tank of gas, weighs almost 1200 lbs.

The two major concerns are supplying sufficient power and a secure mount for the winch.

As previously mentioned, getting power to your winch could be an issue. It all depends on the layout of your toy hauler. I looked up the floor plan for your rig. I believe it's a bumper pull with a garage, correct? I'll assume the batteries are in the very front of the unit. You would need some very large gauge, long (20 to 25 ft.), and expensive cable runs to get sufficient current to a winch that far back in the garage area. You may want to consider simply taking a fully charged battery and temporarily (or semi-permanently) connecting it in close proximity to the winch everytime you need to use it. Not cosmetically flattering, but a functional solution.

Ideally, you'd want to mount the winch to a frame member(*) in the very front of the garage. However, if space or cosmetics present a problem then a suitably-rated winch block gives you some flexibility. If you're able to SECURELY mount or attach a winch block to a frame member (not a cross-member) somewhere in the very front of your garage, then this potentially opens up the option of mounting your winch in many more locations in the garage. Just as long as your trike doesn't hit the winch or the cable on the way up, you're good.

Just some quick thoughts . . . Good luck!!

(*) I wouldn't consider using any OEM tie-downs (to temporarily anchor the winch) unless you can verify they're securely anchored to the toy hauler's frame (not a cross-member) in some way. FWIW, very few OEM tie-downs are. If one of those tie-downs broke loose while your trike is being winched up the ramp it could seriously injure or kill someone.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Or perhaps a secondary ramp hinged to the main door/ramp with supports under the top of the door. That would lessen the angle and make it easier to get up the ramp/s.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I would drive it in/back it out. since its a trike you don't have to worry about tipping over and you can slip the clutch enough to get up the ramp. The reverse works very well at holding the bike going backwards to you should be able to back it out pretty easy. Give it a test try.

70 is the new 60 isn't it?
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
Your issue is going to be getting the 12 volt power to the winch. You will need massive cables to handle the amps and distance from the batteries in the TH.

What is the issue with driving it in? Is the ramp very steep?
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

nvreloader
Explorer
Explorer
If your TH has any forward tie down areas,
I would get portable winch, like a "Superwinch" and run a nylon strap between 2 tie downs and then attach the winch and center where you want it and pull up the trike.

Disconnect and stow everything untill needed next time.

Tia,
Don
2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.