cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

toy haulers stop at weigh stations?

soje
Explorer
Explorer
Are toy haulers required to stop at weigh stations/truck inspections or are they the same as all travel trailers{rv`s)
What about flatbed trailers hauling personal items?
Thanks in advance
28 REPLIES 28

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Y-Guy wrote:
Back when I had my Raptor I would trigger the electronic warning signs for our weigh station in WA State. First I pulled off since the sign had told me to. I was told it measured my height and weight is what triggered the signs and I was on my way after being told I didn't need to stop.

I've triggered the same type of sign at the Idaho/Washington border on I-90 westbound. I keep going.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
DougE wrote:
Weight stations primarily exist to regulate heavy haulers and long distance drivers. For example, states generally restrict total rig loadweights to 80,000# (or something similar). There are also restrictions on driving hours that are confirmed by checking log books. So, in general, if you are not a long distance driver hauling heavy loads, weight stations are not for you.

Really it's Commercial drivers, not "long distance heavy haulers"

I drive long distances and haul heavy loads with my dually, for personal purposes, but I don't stop at weight stations, because I'm not commercial.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
There's a difference between the letter of the law and the spirit/intent of the law.

The "letter of the law" in Maryland says to follow the signs. Most that I recall say, "Any truck over 5T must enter". I emailed them and explained that I'm purely recreational driving and that my truck alone, without towing, has a 12,300 lbs. GVWR but an actual weight of 8,200 lbs. The person explained that the I should stop so they can verify that I'm not performing any commercial activities. He also explained that is based off of the GVWR not the actual weight of the truck.

Now, the "spirit/intent" of the law is that it's for commercial drivers and recreational drivers should just drive on by.

I've never stopped nor will I. But if LEO ever gets his panties in a wad and pulls me over in MD for it, I'll know that I was in the wrong. I read of 1 instance of it happening on another forum.

In VA, I did pull into the exit for a weigh station because it was shared by a rest area. The signs indicated for me to bypass the weigh station when I came close to the "Y"-split for weighing or resting.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you are truly a recreational vehicle you do not have to stop. If you are making money you are commercial. This would include any type of racing where you could win money.
I have a relative who is a profession motorcycle drag racer. He had his race trailer all covered in sponsors stickers. He didn't stop at weigh stations and got pulled over a lot. He removed all the stickers from his trailer, still doesn't stop at weigh stations, and doesn't get pulled over anymore.

Y-Guy
Back when I had my Raptor I would trigger the electronic warning signs for our weigh station in WA State. First I pulled off since the sign had told me to. I was told it measured my height and weight is what triggered the signs and I was on my way after being told I didn't need to stop.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Other than border patrol check points, we have never been obligated to pull into any weigh stations or anything similar with our toy hauler. I know a few who have thought the same thing and did so, they were sternly told to be on their way from the residing authorities.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Weight stations primarily exist to regulate heavy haulers and long distance drivers. For example, states generally restrict total rig loadweights to 80,000# (or something similar). There are also restrictions on driving hours that are confirmed by checking log books. So, in general, if you are not a long distance driver hauling heavy loads, weight stations are not for you.
Currently Between RVs

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I cross this great country 2 times per year and up and down the West coast all winter. Never have stopped and no issues. Going into Cali dept of agriculture inspection for gypsy moth is the only inspection we have experienced.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've never encountered anything requiring me to go thru the scales.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes the advance signs will say "all vehicles towing must stop" I've seen that in the Midwest as well as OR.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Only if your making money with it.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clearly signed โ€œCommercial Vehicles Onlyโ€ in California.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
Only commercial vehicles need stop.

yep. you don't stop.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wildtoad