cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling in a 5th wheel while driving.

smcrea
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are at a crossroads as to going for the 5th wheel or a motorhome. This is after having a TT for 4 years.

My wife has a bad back and suffers terribly when sitting for hours in the tow vehicle. Being able to simply lie down is a HUGE benefit to her.

I know that some folks will say DON'T Do it etc etc.. but the fact is that if my wife was able to take a lie down in the 5th while on the move then it would be a decision maker for us.

It looks like most of the modern 5th's have shocks etc and seem to be as sturdy as any motor home. Also I believe that it's also legal in most states.

Is anyone on the forum doing this?

Thanks for the feedback!
45 REPLIES 45

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife has ridden in our Mobile Suites up front in the bed and said it was fine. An air ride kingpin will make the ride much better.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Get the FW. Then, get an older (read less expensive) road tractor to pull it with. The wife can use the sleeper; which may also come with a TV, refrigerator, etc. You can buy nice used Class 8 trucks for less than a new dually. Their drive trains will last practically forever just pulling a FW around.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
GON2SKI wrote:
After seeing a fifth wheel trailer involved in a rollover on the median of a highway, I would never allow family members or pets to ride back there. That image of nothing remaining intact except a frame, axles/tires and tons of scattered debris will forever be implanted in my mind. Buy a motorhome for safety and comfort for your loved ones.

I've seen plenty of motor homes in the same condition; frankly it's a wash, in my book.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
smcrea wrote:
We are at a crossroads as to going for the 5th wheel or a motorhome. This is after having a TT for 4 years.

My wife has a bad back and suffers terribly when sitting for hours in the tow vehicle. Being able to simply lie down is a HUGE benefit to her.

I know that some folks will say DON'T Do it etc etc.. but the fact is that if my wife was able to take a lie down in the 5th while on the move then it would be a decision maker for us.

It looks like most of the modern 5th's have shocks etc and seem to be as sturdy as any motor home. Also I believe that it's also legal in most states.

Is anyone on the forum doing this?

Thanks for the feedback!

It is not as smooth as you think it might be. My wife, on our 2nd or 3rd trip, decided to try it. She lasted about 40 miles before she called me and said to pull over, she was comin' up front. A Canadian friend's wife was bounced out of bed on a trip down from Sask. to AZ. I think I might try and modify a crew cab's back seat or find an aftermarket passenger seat that almost fully reclines. Might be a whole lot cheaper than adding an air-ride pin box and/or air ride suspension on the truck. Either that, or go back to a MH.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has the same problem, she had back surgery but still has problems traveling. Our truck has "10 way" heated power seats in both front positions and she is able to adjust it so she can almost recline. She has ridden many, many hours in total comfort, something she can't do in our other vehicles. Truck also has leather which allows her to shift position more easily. I would not want to travel very far in a towed 5th wheel, especially in hot weather.
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My take on it. First of all, the trailer is not built to protect the occupant in the event of an accident. There are no seat belts, no designed in "roll cage" (car and truck bodies are designed with roll over resistance), loose stuff in the cabinets can become deadly missles, and as GON2SKI says, things have a way of coming completely apart. Having never ridden in a fiver on the road, I would take the word of those who have. I would also suggest you call your state's state police and ask them if it is legal in your state plus any state's you wish to visit.

Newmar makes a class A toy hauler (Model 3920) that sounds like it would be best for you all.
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
GON2SKI wrote:
After seeing a fifth wheel trailer involved in a rollover on the median of a highway, I would never allow family members or pets to ride back there. That image of nothing remaining intact except a frame, axles/tires and tons of scattered debris will forever be implanted in my mind. Buy a motorhome for safety and comfort for your loved ones.
x2 .... Exactly,these things are made out of cardboard.If someone hits you or you hit something the trailer will not be anywhere near intact and any passengers in it will prolly be dead...Dont chance it,not even for a moment.

rodknocker
Explorer
Explorer
My wife over booked the number of grandkids we could transport with our dogs in the truck as well. She rode about 3 hrs in the 5ver with our dogs. Swears she will never do that again!!! Picture near hurricane force wind noise, road noise, etc all while pitching up and down. Bad idea, IMO
Craig and Cheryl with our dogs
Buddy (Maltypoo), Sally (English Springer)and Charley (King Charles Cavalier)
'06 Chev Duramax LBZ
'03 Jayco Designer Legacy 3610 RLTS

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

smcrea
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks folks, the replies are what I expected..

The big answer of course is NO don't do it either in a motorhome or 5th as you should always be restrained!

I do know that :).. but we all see folks walking around the motorhomes while doing 70mph along the freeway don't we!

I did forget to say that riding in the back would NOT be the normal thing to do.

It would be in circumstances where my wifes back is killing her and we have to get to point B and can't stop.

This doesn't happen often. It would just make that difference if now and again she could lay back.

We REALLY want a Toy Hauler so a motorhome is a last option.

Steve.

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem. I simply can not sit in a vehicle for any kind of distance. We got a Class A and we absolutely love it. I have the option of sitting in different seats - which changing positions helps, and at times I have to lay down on the sofa. If we didn't have the MH, I wouldn't be going anywhere.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
Don't trade back pain for motion sickness. Get a motorhome.

In a motorhome you are cradled between the front and rear axle on a 100% totally fixed frame.

In a fiver you are more like on a teeter totter. It doesn't matter if you are in the front end of the teeter totter or the back. The trailer has to be allowed to rise and fall independent of the truck, and so will you rise and fall.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leagle in most state, my wife did it once to see what the dogs were experanceing. Dogs now ride in the truck with us!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're right! Don't!

The ride is reportedly terrible.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sure people do, get a good set of walkie talkies, not sure if it is legal, I would guess not.