cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Mapping

rving4us
Explorer
Explorer
Now that Microsoft streets and trips are no longer, has anyone found a suitable mapping software to take its place. I know maps are still the best, just looking for software to plan out the trip first.
Thanks
2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC, Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo37ks3,17.5 tires,disc brakes,full body paint.
36 REPLIES 36

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
gat75 wrote:
LIKE2BUILD wrote:

You're a Good Sam Member, why not use the Trip Planner on the member web site?

X2 on using GS's trip planner. I found that it was definitely worth the time it took to learn the program.

Got back from our trip on Sunday. The routes and everything GS planned out were great.

I wish Good Sam made the trip planner a more prominent part of the web site. It's a great feature but is a little hard to navigate into.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paper maps are good as a last resort if all the electronics break down. On line mapping is fine provided you are connected. Useless if you are not. Stand alone GPS is fine for setting out a short trip. Not much good for a multi month trip using a route that is far from the most direct from one place to another. Inconvenient doing it all on that tiny screen. tap, tap, tap, tap.

Stand alone software like S&T is so much more flexible. Much more detail at your fingertips than a ton of maps. Much better for trip planning than any online service simply because you don't need to be online. Better than the GPS too. Plug into a GPS antenna & you have a navigator that has the info at the fingertips on whatever screen you want.

The stand alone GPS has its uses. We have always had one also for use primarily as backup to the S&T. Still using S&T 2011. Don't know what to do when the 2010 laptop it is on dies.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

jpbuch9309
Explorer
Explorer
I got a trucker GPS that way you get no problems enroute

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My mapping consists of picking a city that day and telling the GPS to go there.

What still drives me nuts about Garmin's search routines is that it doesn't prioritize cities close to me. I want the Hooverville that's 200 miles away, not 2000!!!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last Summer we used GoodSam Trip Planner for a loop from Orlando to Yellowstone; to Yosemite; to Kings Canyon; to Tucson; to El Paso and back to Orlando. Seven weeks. Almost seven thousand TV miles.

I tweaked each day's route to use the roads I wanted and then downloaded each leg to my Rand McNally RV7710. (Batch download..all legs in one pass.)

I had to change some as we went along, (Add a side trip to Bodie. Delete crossing Death Valley. etc.) but the basic info was there whenever I needed it.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
rving4us wrote:
Thanks to all. I still use my 2013 Streets and Trips but my windows 7 laptop is about shot and I was told the S&T will not work on windows 10.
I do still confirm with the atlas.
Thanks again

Works with Windows 10. Just re0installed on a Dell laptop with Windows 10. When you reinstall it it will need to be re-activated. Make sure you have you old "Key" that came with the CD handy.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

dedmiston
agesilaus wrote:
I haven't used it yet but I hear that Google has something called Trips now. Otherwise I use the DeLorme software

Interesting. Can you tell me how you use Google Trips for RV travel? I figured it was more for tracking flights and hotel reservations.

Interested.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maps are fine for reading in bed. For actual towing it's GPS.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:

You're a Good Sam Member, why not use the Trip Planner on the member web site? I did for our trip out west and it worked very well. I don't have a Good Sam compatible GPS so I couldn't use the navigation feature, but I did use to find campgrounds, mileage, etc.
KJ

Thanks for this tip. I just used it for an upcoming trip and it worked very well. Time calcs seem more reasonable than Google maps. After some playing around I was able to select rest stops I wanted and the end point campground. I like how it adds a waypoint when you drag the route (around Baltimore). Google likes to route you through the tunnel.
Printed out for the record with the Garmin and Waze for live map and road condition alerts.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
2013 Streets and Trips works just fine on Windows 10. All my computers except one are Windows 10 boxes and I use Streets & Trips 2013 on all of them.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

rving4us
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. I still use my 2013 Streets and Trips but my windows 7 laptop is about shot and I was told the S&T will not work on windows 10.
I do still confirm with the atlas.
Thanks again
2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC, Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo37ks3,17.5 tires,disc brakes,full body paint.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Lotta folks (okay kids now days) cannot use or read a map/atlas.

A lotta folks (especially older folks) now days haven't or cant grasp modern technology. Kind of like riding a horse for your main mode of transportation in the 1920's :B
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
8 bucks for a road atlas. 1 sheet of copy paper. Write down routes on paper. Call me old fashion, but I love it this way. Lotta folks (okay kids now days) cannot use or read a map/atlas.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
rving4us wrote:
Now that Microsoft streets and trips are no longer, has anyone found a suitable mapping software to take its place. I know maps are still the best, just looking for software to plan out the trip first.
Thanks

You're a Good Sam Member, why not use the Trip Planner on the member web site? I did for our trip out west and it worked very well. I don't have a Good Sam compatible GPS so I couldn't use the navigation feature, but I did use to find campgrounds, mileage, etc.

KJ

X2 on using GS's trip planner. I found that it was definitely worth the time it took to learn the program.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
rving4us wrote:
Thanks

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!