cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Mapping

rving4us
Explorer
Explorer
Now that Microsoft streets and trips are no longer, has anyone found a suitable mapping software to take its place. I know maps are still the best, just looking for software to plan out the trip first.
Thanks
2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC, Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo37ks3,17.5 tires,disc brakes,full body paint.
36 REPLIES 36

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
rving4us wrote:
just looking for software to plan out the trip first.

BaseCamp is hard to beat for planning the trip on a PC. I like to zoom in and plan my trip using some "red" roads. I do not like some programmer in India telling me which road to take. I then upload the plan to my old Garmin StreetPilot 2720 for the GPS directions while traveling.

However, a few weeks ago I got a new GMC truck that has built-in GPS by way of OnStar. I do not know what I am going to do on the next long trip.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
I have a Garmin RV 660 that I use in conjunction with Rand McNally Truckers atlas. I plan the route and then check it on the atlas to be sure the roads are compatible. If not, I can alter the route on the Garmin. I drive a 40' 5er with a long bed dually CC truck. The camper is 13.6.

Ditto RV 660, for trips with exact routing, planned and potential stops fully identified when towing. I plan with BaseCamp in conjunction with Google, RV Park Reviews, inRoute (iPad), Trucker Path (iPad) and ParkAdvisor (iPad). I believe in more than one perspective and source. The wife sitting in the passenger seat with an iPad on Google Maps also helps.

I use my truck's built in GPS when not towing, but found it to be inadequate for planning the entire route and figuring out what's ahead.

Just my own perspective and preferences.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken burke wrote:
rving4us wrote:
Thanks to all. I still use my 2013 Streets and Trips but my windows 7 laptop is about shot and I was told the S&T will not work on windows 10.
I do still confirm with the atlas.
Thanks again

S&Ts will not work on my Windows 10. I did not know it still works on windows 7. I will have to look into three old computers and see if they will work.

S&T 2013 is running on several of my windows 10 computers. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Garmin RV 660 that I use in conjunction with Rand McNally Truckers atlas. I plan the route and then check it on the atlas to be sure the roads are compatible. If not, I can alter the route on the Garmin. I drive a 40' 5er with a long bed dually CC truck. The camper is 13.6.

anniekayjay
Explorer
Explorer
I too have continued to use Streets & Trips 2013. We travel back roads with a GPS and want to be able to change routes on the fly and zoom in at street level when DH can't make a U-turn because he missed a turn. GPS units are no good for us, nor is planning a route with Google offline maps.

I want to be able to plan a route beforehand and then be able to change it in the truck if I need to. I need to be able to see what is up ahead in advance on a map and see where we are in real time.

Apps on my tablet or cell phone are no help as I don't want to be online to be able to navigate in real time.

I second the request to Microsoft to bring back Streets & Trips...PLEEZ.

We also are on the road for 3 months and never drive major highways or go into major cities. Just the best way to travel for us.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Annie

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Road Phantom wrote:
I google: first address (to) second address and I get a map with directions. I find it necessary to place the word (to) in between the addresses to get the map.

Wonderful! What do you do planning a 100 day plus trip?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I google: first address (to) second address and I get a map with directions. I find it necessary to place the word (to) in between the addresses to get the map.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another product we changed to is CoPilot for laptops. It, like S&T's allows changing routes by dragging. It takes a little getting used to it, not like S&T's, but still close on some things. Voice direction is very good. You will need to obtain GPS receiver, the one used with MS will not work. The one they recommend is in the documention. Good luck

Jim

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The topic is "Trip Mapping", not day to day routing which is the domain of the GPS.

The big moan, especially from us S&T users, is the loss of what amounts to every paper map, including county maps, at our fingertips & the ability to use that software on the road where there is NO internet access as well as the ability to look around on the fly instead of relying on the wisdom of the GPS to get from A to B.

Yeah, the GPS is great for day to day A to B, but you can't beat having what amounts to every paper map at your fingertips for that spur of the moment deviation from route that the GPS has planned for you.

Anyone with a Microsoft connection on here reading? Give us S&T back, even if it is the last version. Don't need any more features. Road updates would be nice.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RV_Insanity
Explorer
Explorer
We have used numerous map programs, but our favorite and most accurate is www.truckrouter.com. This website not only is free, but you can select everything from axles, height, weight, length, and average speed or slower. It also gives a very good estimate on time for the route. When Google or Waze shows 3 hour drive in Oregon, Truckrouter.com showed 5 1/2. It took 5 hours and 45 minutes... Speed limit was 55 mph but anything over 35 mph and we would flip off the mountains..

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Maps are fine for reading in bed. For actual towing it's GPS.

yes. No real replacement for S&Ts.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
rving4us wrote:
Thanks to all. I still use my 2013 Streets and Trips but my windows 7 laptop is about shot and I was told the S&T will not work on windows 10.
I do still confirm with the atlas.
Thanks again

S&Ts will not work on my Windows 10. I did not know it still works on windows 7. I will have to look into three old computers and see if they will work.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
My mapping consists of picking a city that day and telling the GPS to go there.

What still drives me nuts about Garmin's search routines is that it doesn't prioritize cities close to me. I want the Hooverville that's 200 miles away, not 2000!!!

I glanced at your post and thought it said Hooterville! I instantly though I'd like to visit there 'cause I liked the TV show. :B

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Veebyes wrote:
Paper maps are good as a last resort if all the electronics break down. On line mapping is fine provided you are connected. Useless if you are not. Stand alone GPS is fine for setting out a short trip. Not much good for a multi month trip using a route that is far from the most direct from one place to another. Inconvenient doing it all on that tiny screen. tap, tap, tap, tap.

Stand alone software like S&T is so much more flexible. Much more detail at your fingertips than a ton of maps. Much better for trip planning than any online service simply because you don't need to be online. Better than the GPS too. Plug into a GPS antenna & you have a navigator that has the info at the fingertips on whatever screen you want.

The stand alone GPS has its uses. We have always had one also for use primarily as backup to the S&T. Still using S&T 2011. Don't know what to do when the 2010 laptop it is on dies.

Isn't Garmin Base Camp a trip planner? Plan a route, or routes, and u/l it to your GPS?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member