cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tripod support

scottyballs
Explorer
Explorer
Every now and then I see a 5th wheeler with a tripod under the pin, apparently for added support. Does this really do anything? The trailer sits on the wheels, the landing gear and the rear levelers?
42 REPLIES 42

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Got rid of ours. No noticeable benefit for us.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
The "bi-pod" would actually do something--two legs jammed completely tight to the pin. The tripod with the little cup on top swiveling around can't stop lateral movement.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a tripod, but found it was too much trouble for very little gain. I guess if you were parked for a looooong time at a park it might be cost effective.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

firemedic1992
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed JT Strongarm stabilizers. What a huge difference! I will sell the tripod now.

If you are looking for an inexpensive solution to stabilizers, search homemade stabilizers. You can use ratcheting cargo bars and get very similar results!

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
got rid of it. we use x-chocks and the steadyfast system.
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res

scottyballs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the many, quick replies. If it's not a major necessity, I don't think I'll spend the money, plus it's just something else to pack and unpack. Vacations are supposed to reduce your workload. ๐Ÿ™‚

cheers,
JRS

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
My DW thinks it would be a good idea to get one.I think it's a waste of money.
I have held out for 5-6 years now.I think I may prevail this time.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

I have one and am currently trying to find it a good home...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
I have one that was given to me when I bought my hitch. It helps some, but I can't say I would purchase one.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I've only seen one in use in many years of camping. That fellow said it did not do much, but he was using it because he had bought it but did not use it about as much as he did use it. When we had a 5th wheel, I never considered one. You will just have to decide for yourself it the minor "aid" is worth the bucks to you.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Works for some, not so much for others. Doesn't seem to work as well with tall, heavy 5th wheels. We got rid of ours, which did nothing, when we installed the JT Strongarms.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
We use the tripod when we are sitting for a week or more, it does cut down on minor vibration only felt when one of us is upstairs and the other sitting in the rear. Also makes a handy spot to lock up the bikes.

The Mountain Aire has a narrow frame due to the duals (8 tires on two axles) and the BigFoot had to go inside the frame rails for a couple of reasons. As a result our front jacks are not as far apart as optimal.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couple tripod posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman