cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV Mileage

Hamp
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the market for a used TV for my new 3600 Sanibel. Hitch weight is 2,335 length is 39'5" GVW 15,500. This will be my first fifth-wheel. The TV will be 2009-2012.

Thanks for your input
23 REPLIES 23

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember that the 2335 pin is most likely the dry pin. With a gross of 15.5K, your wet/loaded pin will be 3K +/- a few hundred Lbs.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

jbcason
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Funny how whenever it swings to a SRW vs DRW topic the comments are always almost the same. Those who have SRW, often beefed up with airbags & such, & have never tried a DRW, swear that the SRW is just fine for a 32' plus, 12,000# plus trailer.

Meanwhile those who had a SRW then switched to a DRW swear there is a night & day difference without any mods needing to be done to the DRW.

Those of us DRW owners who have never had a SRW only know what we see if we happen to be behind a SRW on a windy day or curvy road. It can be a scary sight.

I have nearly 2 million miles hauling loads you can only imagine. I made a living with a dualie and 32 ft dual wheel trailer for four years. Again, capability is a huge part of any rig. Oh, and the 2 million miles were accident free. Not even a cargo claim.

brownmht
Explorer
Explorer
Hamp wrote:
I am in the market for a used TV for my new 3600 Sanibel. Hitch weight is 2,335 length is 39'5" GVW 15,500. This will be my first fifth-wheel. The TV will be 2009-2012.

Thanks for your input

Based on what you are pulling, I would suggest focusing on TV capability.

Trailer Life Towing Guide

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
I would GLADLY go back to a SRW, and if I was looking at the OPs trailer, I would wouldn't even look at the DRW - not needed, so why go to the hassle of owning one. Can't park it, doesn't fit in a car wash, typically doesn't fit in a garage, expensive to re-tire, and the list goes on. I towed with a SRW for over a decade and they are great tow machines. I'm only in a dually now because I'm up in the 4,000/17,000 lbs weight bracket with this trailer.

Don't let the tire blow outs scare you into thinking you need a dually. We all have single tires on the front, and that is the blow out that will send you off the road.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny how whenever it swings to a SRW vs DRW topic the comments are always almost the same. Those who have SRW, often beefed up with airbags & such, & have never tried a DRW, swear that the SRW is just fine for a 32' plus, 12,000# plus trailer.

Meanwhile those who had a SRW then switched to a DRW swear there is a night & day difference without any mods needing to be done to the DRW.

Those of us DRW owners who have never had a SRW only know what we see if we happen to be behind a SRW on a windy day or curvy road. It can be a scary sight.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jbcason wrote:
The only difference between an F250 and a F350 is a two inch spacer block, a helper spring, and recommended air pressure. Drive train brakes etc. are the same. Air pressure should be pumped up to max on the tire sidewall. SRW will do fine. If you are full timing then dualie should be seriously considered. If just weekend/vacation the disadvantages of a dualie might not out way the advantages. I have a F250 that I pull a 38 ft Montana with. SRW. I added air bags and a rear stabilizer bar. Good shocks are a must also. I use Blistein. Tires are goodyear wranglers run at 80 psi. The main thing is do not over drive your capabilities. I do think if you go with a dualie an air king pin is a must to absorb the extra shock so the helper spring.

The question you always need to ask is;

Would you feel safe and comfortable driving a a state highway like this with a 55 mph speed limit that most push to at least 60??

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
blow a rear tire @ highway speed and you will want a dually. Don't skimp on it get something that will do the job.

And the comparison with a semi, more gears and a LOT more cubic inches and TONS more torque.

Any modern diesel pickup will get decent milage. If milage is that much of a concern you are barking up the wrong tree with that trailer.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

jbcason
Explorer
Explorer
The only difference between an F250 and a F350 is a two inch spacer block, a helper spring, and recommended air pressure. Drive train brakes etc. are the same. Air pressure should be pumped up to max on the tire sidewall. SRW will do fine. If you are full timing then dualie should be seriously considered. If just weekend/vacation the disadvantages of a dualie might not out way the advantages. I have a F250 that I pull a 38 ft Montana with. SRW. I added air bags and a rear stabilizer bar. Good shocks are a must also. I use Blistein. Tires are goodyear wranglers run at 80 psi. The main thing is do not over drive your capabilities. I do think if you go with a dualie an air king pin is a must to absorb the extra shock so the helper spring.

brownmht
Explorer
Explorer
Im so glad I got my 2008 F350 4 door long bed dually. It gets around 9 MPG pulling my 35' Cougar and 11 MPG dry. I questioned myself about getting a dually but I gotta say, the added stability is more than worth it.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
laknox wrote:
I've always found it interesting that no matter the size trailer and TV, the numbers are almost always in the same range.

That is because no matter what the trailer or TV - it is still a flat 8 foot wide by 12 foot high surface trying to cut a hole in the air at 60 mph.

Aerodynamics, weight variations, TV gearing can be a few tenths adjustment either way - but the end result is the rig is still trying to push huge amounts of air out of the way.

I know that if I got a newer FW, with a more round front cap AND rear cap, I'd probably get the same, or better, mileage with a full-height coach than my square box low profile. My main comment was that a semi, pulling 40,000 lbs gets about the same mileage as my 3/4 ton pulling my FW at 10,000 lbs.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Just throwing this out there: I have always HATED diesels. The smell of diesel and its exhaust makes me sick - so I was inwardly cringing when Ed proposed that we buy a 5er and tow it with a diesel truck ๐Ÿ˜ž The first truck he came home with was a 2006 Ford F-250 and within moments of riding in it, my stomach was churning - bleagh.

And then..... Ford came out with a new diesel motor in 2011 that uses urea to clean the exhaust system, We now own a 2011 F-350, and I LOVE it. It's quiet; and doesn't stink!! Not even when I'm standing next to the tailpipes!!

My understanding is that all the truck makers have gone to this urea (also known as "DEF": Diesel Exhaust Fluid). If you've got someone in the family who also hates diesels - you might want whatever year your intended brand switched over to the DEF system??

Also - our F-350 SRW gets 21-22 mpg when just cruising down the highway with no trailer. We're really happy with it! Naturally, you need a bigger truck - but hopefully you'll get better mileage, too?

Try some biodiesel. You'll smell like french fries. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you purchase the right truck the first time, unlike I did. See sig. F350 SRW made it just over a year before I traded out to a dually. Night and day difference in towing, stability and performance with the GMC. Good luck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

hbensley
Explorer
Explorer
Look closely at the TV capabilities as others have suggested. Verify the TV will be able to handle your rig up hills and down hills. You only want to buy a TV once.
The rear axle ratio makes a big difference in the GCWR too. Don't let the RV sales rep tell you "sure your truck will tow this rig" as they are primarily (I hesitate to say only) interested in selling the camper.
I agree you'll need a dually for the pin weight.
TV mileage will vary. Your driving habits will have the largest impact on mileage. My other truck (06 SRW 5.9 all else the same) got 11-13 MPG towing and 18-23 empty.
Hank Bensley
2014 Voltage 3895 Toy Hauler
2014 RAM 3500 Mega Cab 4X4 Dually AISIN 4:10 gears
2012 Screamin Eagle Street Glide

hbensley@yahoo.com

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't care what the weight is but with 40' of RV behind you need a Dually.

Your pin weight is a joke! Many will say 20% but in reality it will be closer to 25%.

Get a dually you will thank those that have suggested so,
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD