cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

unknown substance in HW tank

Tuzlo
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I winterized my fifth. When I purged the HW tank I removed the anode and with the water out came a semi clear jelly like substance, what is it?
2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 L CTD, pull rite super glide 2700, load lifter 5000
2005 Carriage Cameo 27RKS, more ryde suspension
12 REPLIES 12

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The gel like substance is a result of the minerals in the water reacting with the aluminum anode rod........aluminum hydroxide jelly forming.

Drain/Rinse/flush
Change anode rod when 75% has been 'consumed' (rod is sacrificial and dissolves)

Look at end of anode rod......
Hex head FLAT (Aluminum) Optional rod
Hex Head TEAT (Magnesium)OEM rod

Aluminum
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Pure_Diesel
Explorer
Explorer
NHIrish wrote:
I get a whiteish gooey substance that is residual slime from the anode rod. I use a garden hose to rinse out the tank before it dries and hardens.

That is calcium carbonate. The heated water causes calcium carbonate to form. Flush your heater out and check the anode rod.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I full time and replace the water heater anode rod once a year. I bought one of the Camco hot water tank rinser attachments (PN 11691). After removing the old rod, just attach to the hose and blast out the inside of the tank. Works very well. I find gunk from the old rod but never anything else - maybe because mine is always in use ?

Maybe drain yours between trips and flush at the same time. The only expense is the $6 hose attachment and some teflon tape.

I've had that a few times too.

I notice the HW starts to stink so I pull the cork on the tank and flush it.
All kinds of that same gorp and schmoo pour out.

I shrug it off as a growth of some kind from all that hot water sitting a long time. I don't particularly like showering in it.....

But scrape some up and sprinkle it on your baked potatoes when you run short of sour cream! Yum! :B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
I get a whiteish gooey substance that is residual slime from the anode rod. I use a garden hose to rinse out the tank before it dries and hardens.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"Semi clear jelly like substance" ??? sounds yummy! Add peanut butter and bread and you just might have something there!

(I'd flush the water heater real good, and then give it a good heavy cleaning with some strong bleach water, drain again, and flush again ... before winter, then again after winter.)

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
lol
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
Possibly aluminum hydroxide.

Well...that would explain why the OP never has an upset stomach. :W

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Possibly aluminum hydroxide.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:

(snip)

It might help prevent future problems by using water from the hot water faucets.....even if it is not HOT.....to refresh what's in the tank.

Everytime I prefill my fresh water tank for a trip, I run all my faucets (hot and cold) to flush the system out. I do let my gray tanks drain into my yard while doing this.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
Sounds like a bacterial growth to me. There are slime-formers that tend to congregate. I'd treat the tank with a dilute bleach solution and rinse well before putting it back in service.

This. One source of non-toxic bacteria (and it's slime) accumulation is iron bacteria.

It might help prevent future problems by using water from the hot water faucets.....even if it is not HOT.....to refresh what's in the tank.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a bacterial growth to me. There are slime-formers that tend to congregate. I'd treat the tank with a dilute bleach solution and rinse well before putting it back in service.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk