cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to disc brakes, have some questions.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Our new Montana stops fair I guess. Have not had to do a panic stop yet and hope I don't because I do not have a warm and fuzzy that the 1960's brake technology will work as expected with a 16,000lb trailer. It does have the Dexter Nev-R-Adjust system so they should be adjusting themselves as needed. Anyway I have made the decision to change over to disc brakes since Keystone has not decided to offer this as a factory option yet. They did finally offer LT tires which I got and that's a step in the right direction!
So here is my questions. Who in your opinion makes the best? Dexter, Kodiak, Titan or any other brand. Best price? What will work with my 2014 Ram controller? Right now I am leaning toward Kodiak with a Hydrastar actuator. E trailer seems to have a fair price. I plan on doing the work myself so I think for under $2k I should be able to do it right. Thoughts and comments please.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
43 REPLIES 43

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
routemaster wrote:
I thought I read somewhere the we can buy the bearing kit on Amazon is there a part # for the kit for the Kodiak discs?

Google etrailer Kodiak disc bearings & you will get the part #'s

routemaster
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I read somewhere the we can buy the bearing kit on Amazon is there a part # for the kit for the Kodiak discs?
2017 Landmark Arlington 365
2015 Silverado LTZ 3500 c/c LWB.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
me2 wrote:
laknox wrote:

Uh, Dan, most truckers I've talked to that have lost an air line, said that they stopped PDQ on level ground, that is, if their safety brakes were working properly. I've =seen= guys lose an air line and lock up all 8 wheels on their trailer, even with a max load, though it was at a fairly slow speed.

Lyle

Depends on how the trailer brakes are set up and which line you lose. There are 2 lines going from the truck to the trailer. A supply line and a control line.

Right on Me2!! I said I once lost my SERVICE line (control line), had I lost the supply line, yes my brakes would've locked up immediately.

Stopping 80,000 lbs with just the tractor brakes is way scary.

The point I was trying to make is that trailers carrying weight HAVE to have enough braking ability themselves to stop the weight they're carrying that's all. Relying on your tow vehicle to do most of the braking is not practical.

The OP would be very pleased having disc brakes installed on his RV.

Dan

me2
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Uh, Dan, most truckers I've talked to that have lost an air line, said that they stopped PDQ on level ground, that is, if their safety brakes were working properly. I've =seen= guys lose an air line and lock up all 8 wheels on their trailer, even with a max load, though it was at a fairly slow speed.

Lyle

Depends on how the trailer brakes are set up and which line you lose. There are 2 lines going from the truck to the trailer. A supply line and a control line.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My entry door is just ahead of the axles and the battery box is just ahead of the steps. I put the Carlisle under the steps so it's as close as possible for the brake lines and the electric. I've been pricing gooseneck car haulers and I can get discs... $2100 for 3- 7k axles. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Arcamper wrote:
laknox wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
Our new Montana stops fair I guess. Have not had to do a panic stop yet and hope I don't because I do not have a warm and fuzzy that the 1960's brake technology will work as expected with a 16,000lb trailer. It does have the Dexter Nev-R-Adjust system so they should be adjusting themselves as needed. Anyway I have made the decision to change over to disc brakes since Keystone has not decided to offer this as a factory option yet. They did finally offer LT tires which I got and that's a step in the right direction!
So here is my questions. Who in your opinion makes the best? Dexter, Kodiak, Titan or any other brand. Best price? What will work with my 2014 Ram controller? Right now I am leaning toward Kodiak with a Hydrastar actuator. E trailer seems to have a fair price. I plan on doing the work myself so I think for under $2k I should be able to do it right. Thoughts and comments please.

Sure got off topic, huh!

Maybe you will get some (more) worthwhile comparison info, rather than drivel about locomotives, etc...:R

~

Yep it sure did! Oh well I have been on here long enough to know how it goes. Anyway I have ordered everything through E Trailer to do the conversion with Kodiak disc and a Hydrastar actuator. Will let everyone know once I get them on and tested.

You will wonder why the he!! you did not do it sooner!

And I keep wondering why the he!! the mfrs don't offer this as an option from the factory. Oh, well...

Lyle

Excellent point. Keystone finally started to offer G rated LT tires on the Montana so why not disc brakes also. They have the Mor/Ryde 4100 suspension and pin box and Goodyear 614"s. Disc brakes would be the last step in a well set up rig. I know some people are willing to pay to have it right from the start. I would.

MY POINT, EXACTLY!!! The mfrs are losing a profit center by not offering things like this, IMO.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dapperdan wrote:
me2 wrote:
YZ wrote:
Or I could be towing a trailer under 10K with a 2500 or 3500.. the issue is the same... if your trailer is pushing your TV around, then you don't have enough TV.. tell yourself anything you want...

folks think that as long as a truck can pull a trailer then all is cool,..the brakes on a trailer should be able to handle the trailer....

it is all a circle..

No it isn't. I'm pulling a 14K trailer with a SRW F350 truck. Works excellent. Just like a 20K highway tractor can pull a 100,000 pound B train. What do you think stops the second trailer ? The truck ?

Do you understand what causes a jacknife when braking with a trailer ? Too much braking on the tow vehicle relative to the trailer.

TRAILERS MUST BE ABLE TO STOP THEMSELVES !

Do you think the locomotive stops the train ? Not even close.

Me2 has this EXACTLY right!! I have driven truck most of my life, it takes GOOD brakes on a trailer to stop the rig! I have had the service air line come off the trailer and let me tell you the tractor won't even come close to stopping the rig!

Next time you're in a truck stop ask a driver if his tractor brakes will stop his entire rig, see what he says.

Oh and by the way most all the semi trucks you see going down the highway today have DRUM brakes on those trailers!! Some models of tractors actually DO have disk brakes.

After owning two trailers with drum brakes and now owing one with disk brakes, I'll never own another trailer with drum brakes either! I think OP has enough info from his posting now to make an accurate decision.

Dan

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

GCasta
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
Some where I saw a photo of a disc brake install where the hydrostar actuator was placed in the battery compartment next to the slide pump. Of a Heartland Big Horn I think.....For the life of me I cannot find it....I guess old age is catching up to me....the guy made a bracket to sit the actuator on...

I think the this might be the vdeo you were talking about
Disc conversion video
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW
2014 Montana Mountaineer 331 RLT
2016 Lance 850

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Some where I saw a photo of a disc brake install where the hydrostar actuator was placed in the battery compartment next to the slide pump. Of a Heartland Big Horn I think.....For the life of me I cannot find it....I guess old age is catching up to me....the guy made a bracket to sit the actuator on...

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Arcamper wrote:

Sure got off topic, huh!

Maybe you will get some (more) worthwhile comparison info, rather than drivel about locomotives, etc...:R

~

Yep it sure did! Oh well I have been on here long enough to know how it goes. Anyway I have ordered everything through E Trailer to do the conversion with Kodiak disc and a Hydrastar actuator. Will let everyone know once I get them on and tested.

And I keep wondering why the he!! the mfrs don't offer this as an option from the factory. Oh, well...

Lyle

Excellent point. Keystone finally started to offer G rated LT tires on the Montana so why not disc brakes also. They have the Mor/Ryde 4100 suspension and pin box and Goodyear 614"s. Disc brakes would be the last step in a well set up rig. I know some people are willing to pay to have it right from the start. I would.
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Arcamper wrote:

Sure got off topic, huh!

~

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arcamper wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Arcamper wrote:

Sure got off topic, huh!

~

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Arcamper wrote:

Sure got off topic, huh!

~

2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I used a hose from each caliper to the 5er frame and then steel tubing all the way to the actuator. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!