cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vented tailgate

Hardcandy
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here with a question. What are the pros and cons of a vented tailgate? I have a 8' box with a trifold cover and my stock tailgate on now, what should I do? This wasn't an issue when I had my TT
TV: 2004.5 Chevy Silverado CCLB 6.6L 3500 DRW, K&N, EFI Live 60hp economy/tow tune, 4" magnaflow exhaust, B&W gooseneck W/ B&W Companion
S&W M&P 40cal in the door pocket...
2012 28.5' Jayco Eagle RLS w/super slide
Ruger 45cal on the nightstand
31 REPLIES 31

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
After our maiden voyage, and several hookups and unhooks.... I wish we had the v tailgate. It's sort of a delicate ballet of tailgate down and tailgate up; and all it's going to take is one lapse of memory to have a forehead-smack moment.... although I have to admit that we look a little more professional after we had the Limo tint removed from the back window of the truck...LOL!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
I can see the plate and king-pin fine when connecting and my tail gate does not interfere either. It does not save fuel, but it could safe a tail gate if you forget to lower it when connecting. What ever feels good seems to be the answer.
Big Bird 2

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
Another good thing about a vented tailgate is that my stuff now stays in the bed of the truck when towing the fifth wheel. I have lost rubber wheel chocks, wood and other things. Now every thing stays in the truck bed.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Every study I've seen suggests that a vented tailgate reduces drag when towing a 5th but increases drag when not towing and no bed cover is used.

I keep my stock tailgate on along with a folding bed cover. I suppose a V tailgate would make things a bit easier to hitch/unhitch but not enough to warrant buying one.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I keep my stock tailgate. Unlike some others, I don't like the looks of the vented tailgates.
I have a hard roll type tonneau cover. When unhitched I pull the cover all the way back, lock the cover and tailgate, and those things I keep in the bed are kept as dry and safe as reasonably possible.
Yes I do have to lower and raise the tailgate when hooking/unhooking, but that is a minor inconvenience.

C7XR7
Explorer
Explorer
I like having one less thing to worry about when hitching and unhitching the 5th wheel. I also appreciate the additional visibility it provides.

I did not buy a new one, I did find one on craigslist in great condition for little money. Apparently lots of people purchase a used pickup or a different pickup and will get rid of their tailgates for much less than the price of a new one.
[COLOR=]2003 Keystone Challenger 31RLB 5th Wheel
2006 F250 Lariat CC PSD short bed
B&W Companionโ„ข 5th Wheel Hitch
Transfer Flow - Toolbox and Fuel Tank Combo
TORKLIFT StableLoad
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Hardcandy,

IMO, if you can lower your tailgate without hitting the trailer, leave the stock one on and make full use of your bed cover. If you can't, you'll want one.

I believe you'll find connecting and disconnecting your trailer requires you to be near the tailgate so raising/lowering it should not an issue.

The only turbulence issue I've had was when I lost an empty 2.5 gallon plastic gas can due to it not being secured properly. I carry much in my bed and believe my Fold-A-Cover helps in this area.

Enjoy!
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I use them on all of my trucks as I pull GN and 5th wheel trailers.

Aside from making hooking and unhooking much easier for me I use them mainly to cut down or eliminate air turbulence in the bed under the 5th wheel over head. Some 5er/truck combos have more air turbulence than others. And I think they look kool when painted to match my trucks color.

I was leaving my stock gate at home but couldn't haul heavy things in the bed because they rolled/slid/blowed out the back.

Its a win win for my use.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

GregK
Explorer
Explorer
With a trifold cover that normally gives you a secure storage space you would lose that when you go to a vented tailgate.
2010 Jayco Eagle 351RLSA on a seasonal site.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have one because there is very little room between the 5th wheel and the tail gate when it is in the down position. A little too much angle right or left and I'll have a nice divot in the front of the 5th wheel. So now I don't have to worry about it.

FWIW I did have it powdercoated white to match the truck and I think it looks great. ๐Ÿ™‚

And it's one less thing to remember to do, two less if you consider lowering the tailgate and raising it again as separate exercises. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
Hardcandy wrote:
Newbie here with a question. What are the pros and cons of a vented tailgate? I have a 8' box with a trifold cover and my stock tailgate on now, what should I do? This wasn't an issue when I had my TT

I have one. I had it when I had an 8' box. Didn't buy it because I thought it was "cool" or expected to save money on fuel. I bought it because with the 8' box, I could not hook up with my tailgate down or it would hit the trailer. It makes it a lot easier.

S

Same Here. I purchased an aluminum tailgate from Husky and I leave it on all the time.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Reasons why I have a louvered tailgate: Hooking and unhooking without having to lower the tailgate.

That's it. Simple. I didn't get it because it looked cool, or saved on fuel. Mine is black plastic, got it used on Craig's list for $125. I put it on in the spring when I install the hitch, and take it off in the fall when it's time to remove the hitch. Just part of the experience.

When I would first hookup my truck and 5er, there wasn't much room between the end of the opened tailgate and the 5er. And if I would come in at an angle to hook up, I would be concerned about the corner of the tailgate hitting the 5er. Not anymore.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Hardcandy wrote:

I have one. I had it when I had an 8' box. Didn't buy it because I thought it was "cool" or expected to save money on fuel. I bought it because with the 8' box, I could not hook up with my tailgate down or it would hit the trailer. It makes it a lot easier.

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

ontariofarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I think they look good.....I had one on my other truck, but it was a sportier looking truck

I wouldn't buy one again....I like my tailgate, and when I unhook, I don't need to change the tailgate back to stock.
2003 Ford F250 King Ranch CC SB 6.8L V10
2003 Jayco Quest 253D 5er

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
If you think it would look cool,and you feel like putting out the money,get one.
Otherwise save the money for camping expenses.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06