cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very high fifth wheel and bridge concerns

scrapperlila
Explorer
Explorer
Well it won't be long till we finally take our maiden voyage with our new Big Country. This fiver is much higher than our old Citation. Hubby measured including air conditioners it is 13 '6. Im very concerned that we will get ourselves in a jam if we don't seriously map out our trips. Do any of you use a truckers GPS that you can input your route and it lets you know which roads to avoid due to low bridges.

I must say this is freaking me out a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
55 REPLIES 55

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for clarifying, Mile High.

Tim

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:

In case you're thinking about it, I read a post on one of these forums this week regarding how incredibly expensive it is to use the bypass around Denver if pulling any kind of trailer.

Tim

The official CDOT re-route when going south with a vehicle over 13.0 is; exit east I-70, I-70 east to I-225 (north), I-225 north to reconnect to I-25 south, which routes you around the low bridge area and is free, but traffic is no better.

The route you are talking about is E470 toll, which when pulling a trailer will cost $31.05 as a visitor (no transponder). Don't get me started on the toll system here, but it's $10.35 initial vehicle and $10.35 each additional axle. Pleasant drive if you don't want the hassle downtown, but an expensive option.

Mountain Mama - Also be aware the Express toll cancer is spreading to I-25 and I-70 as well and you'll see signs for their "Lexus" lanes where you can pay to take the HOV lanes. Just ignore those and stay off the HOV lanes and you'll be fine.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Remember to measure it when it's hitched to your truck - It could be different.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I measured my 5'er today 13'2" level :h

Something else to worry about with my new trailer 😞

The specs on the trailer said 12'6"...but that doesn't include the optional front AC.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I write my height on a piece of paper and tape it to the dash.

I don't want to have to try and remember when approaching a bridge. One glance and I know.

Tim

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that you should stay aware. Our 5th wheel is not very tall, but I am surprised when off highway that I actually forget about the possibility of low bridges. It is hard to imagine that you could forget the exact height of your rig, but you can. Several years ago someone posted on here that they put stickers 13'6" on the front of their 5th wheel backwards where they could see it from their rear view mirror. Sounded like a good idea.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I thought I remembered those warning signs. In this case, I trusted my Trucker's Atlas.

To Mountain Mama - I'm 13'6" and I went all the way through Denver on I-25. I got in the middle lanes and stayed there ! Suggest that you get a copy of the Motor Carrier's Road Atlas (laminated). I have the Rand McNally version.

In case you're thinking about it, I read a post on one of these forums this week regarding how incredibly expensive it is to use the bypass around Denver if pulling any kind of trailer.

Tim

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
There is a couple of signs warning you before you get there, but with all the congestion they become pretty invisible. Just stay alert.

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
Mile High - Something is strange here. I am 13'6" and came down that stretch of I-25 and under that bridge last summer with no problems. Also, I just checked my trucker atlas and it shows that a semi trailer of standard height (13'6") can travel I-25 through Denver.

Is it possible that sign indicates the low point outside edges of that bridge are 13' and that the center is actually higher (14') ? I think I took the middle lane under it.

I also was under the impression that all interstates provided clearances of at least 14' when they went under a bridge.

Tim

Exactly right, the center 2 lanes are passable, the outer are not. Several bridges through Denver are that way (this is the lowest) after they widened the highway but kept the old bridges.

Point is, if you drove through and didn't notice the signs then you were probably comfortable that all bridges on the interstate are 14', and that one would have caught you off guard if you happen to be in the left lane. It has been that way for a couple of decades and I never noticed it ever until I bought my first 5th wheel and started getting nervous about the enormous height these things run at.

There is a DOT site that identifies this bridge and requires trucks over 13' to take an alternate route, but now I'm not finding it.

So ones best bet going thru Denver on I 25 is to stay in the center lanes? We'll be going thru there this summer & now I'm a little nervous. Need to re-measure our height before our trip.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bridge was posted "CAUTION 14'-4" "
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
Mile High - Something is strange here. I am 13'6" and came down that stretch of I-25 and under that bridge last summer with no problems. Also, I just checked my trucker atlas and it shows that a semi trailer of standard height (13'6") can travel I-25 through Denver.

Is it possible that sign indicates the low point outside edges of that bridge are 13' and that the center is actually higher (14') ? I think I took the middle lane under it.

I also was under the impression that all interstates provided clearances of at least 14' when they went under a bridge.

Tim

Exactly right, the center 2 lanes are passable, the outer are not. Several bridges through Denver are that way (this is the lowest) after they widened the highway but kept the old bridges.

Point is, if you drove through and didn't notice the signs then you were probably comfortable that all bridges on the interstate are 14', and that one would have caught you off guard if you happen to be in the left lane. It has been that way for a couple of decades and I never noticed it ever until I bought my first 5th wheel and started getting nervous about the enormous height these things run at.

There is a DOT site that identifies this bridge and requires trucks over 13' to take an alternate route, but now I'm not finding it.

sdetweil wrote:
SailingOn wrote:
Don't stop worrying. Stay alert.
An Arlington man died after a semi collided with a Central Texas overpass late this (Thursday 3/26) morning, causing a beam to come crashing down onto vehicles and halting traffic on Interstate 35 north of Austin near Solado. See link. As of 9pm, I-35 is still closed.
Note that this is an Interstate, not a rural road where one would anticipate height issues.
I gather there were warning signs, but the bridge was under construction, so it likely was not accurately in map/GPS databases.

this was caused by an oversized vehicle (>14ft tall) without proper permit
local news story

Oversized load or not,, That Beam SHOULD NOT have fallen off.. It was the opposite side of the bridge. Looking at the pictures , it looks like they were PLACING the beams in place , and did NOT secure them in anyway.. Horrible for the family of the deceased... the driver of the truck will be at fault , BUT it looks like the construction company should be looked at also ??
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
sdetweil wrote:
SailingOn wrote:
An Arlington man died after a semi collided with a Central Texas overpass late this (Thursday 3/26) morning, causing a beam to come crashing down onto vehicles and halting traffic on Interstate 35 north of Austin near Solado. See link. As of 9pm, I-35 is still closed.
Note that this is an Interstate, not a rural road where one would anticipate height issues.
I gather there were warning signs, but the bridge was under construction, so it likely was not accurately in map/GPS databases.

local news story

Permit or not, I'd like to see the other side of that bridge and see how it's marked. While the trucking co. and driver are definitely at fault, the State could be, too, if it wasn't marked correctly.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
SailingOn wrote:

local news story
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB