cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Veterans Day weekend @ Spangler Hills 2013

dedmiston
It seems like folks don't post their trips here as much as they used to back in the site's heyday. Here's one for you though.

We're putting together a trip to Spangler Hills for the Veterans Day weekend (11/8 through 11/11).

For those of you old timers who've been around the site for awhile, you'll probably remember that this marks the 9th anniversary of the original So Cal Rally organized by our old friends Diirk and LaCoFDFireman (hopefully I got his name right). Nine years ago this November a bunch of us took a chance and met up with some strangers from the internet. I've never met a stranger bunch of strangers. Many lifelong friendships were formed--lots of great rides, great fires, drinks drank, bones broke, dogs fornicated... You name it.

We're not expecting anything the size of the old rallies and we won't have the same kind of organized rides like the old poker runs, but it should still be a good group of folks and a good time.

When: Veterans Day Weekend
Who: It's hard to say
Where: The old Rally spot at Spangler Hills (directions from Mojave here)

RSVP in this thread or shoot me a PM if you think you're coming.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
107 REPLIES 107

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
mustangglp wrote:
Had a fun weekend and met lots of new people.
Now the wife wants a SXS ๐Ÿ™‚ Thinks it would be easier then a Quad on long rides?
Gary

Hi Gary

I'm selling mine and I'll send you a PM
AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
Had a fun weekend and met lots of new people.
Now the wife wants a SXS ๐Ÿ™‚ Thinks it would be easier then a Quad on long rides?
Gary
Gary

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
Camorhino wrote:
I agree Chris. So he had 5 points and helmets with him, was he wearing them? And if his wife and grandkids were ejected, were they wearing theirs? As in anything, if you exceed your skill set, will all the safety gear in the world save you? Common sense should prevail, especially when watching out for kids. By the way, sad to hear about that. Were you down at NG?

Yup- NG. He had everything (helmets and five points) and no one was using them- The consensus was that he broke an axle and that somehow lead to the roll... A tragedy that perhaps would have been avoided with seat belts and helmets.

At any rate- it was a good reminder to me of just how careful we have to be- I am certainly guilty of being cavalier at times- no more.

Its helmets, belts and zero drinking for me until we are safely back in camp.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

derwud
Explorer
Explorer
Racorman wrote:
derwud......

I thought you were coming on this non-rally event?????

Next year OK?

Yes, life got in my way!!

I hope so!!
2005 Nissan Titan CC SE 4x4, 2006 Weekend Warrior FS2300
2 Quads, 2 Motorcycle and a '06 Rhino
1 Patient Wife, 1 Crazy child, 1 sweet baby.
RIP Bubba and Toby, we love you.

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
derwud......

I thought you were coming on this non-rally event?????

Next year OK?
AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
I agree Chris. So he had 5 points and helmets with him, was he wearing them? And if his wife and grandkids were ejected, were they wearing theirs? As in anything, if you exceed your skill set, will all the safety gear in the world save you? Common sense should prevail, especially when watching out for kids. By the way, sad to hear about that. Were you down at NG?

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
FYI-

A guy died in a UTV over Halloween where we camp- had five points and helmets with him. (was riding with his wife and two grand kids) Kids and wife were ejected but fine. Cage came down on the drivers head and killed him immediately.

I am totally against a nanny state but use the belts and helmets if you are doing anything but putting really slow...
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
And not to get the thread off track, that is why I bought a SxS instead of a motorcycle or quad was because of needing no helmet. Changing the rules in the middle of the game, while not involving public input, and a feeble attempt by the manufacturers to limit their liability, tends to take away another freedom that was imposed by the inept actions of a few. I believe in one being responsible for their own actions, and I just hate big brother getting more involved. JMHO
And now, back to how the desert ride went. What's in store for Thanksgiving?

derwud
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Camorhino wrote:
So, what does a " no helmet " ticket cost these days?

He got off with a warning since he argued that his plated SxS is a street legal vehicle and not subject to the helmet requirement.

Don't think I would hang my helmet on that argument to many times... Someone could really start looking at your plate and how you got it..

I started wearing my helmet on long trail rides two years ago, it makes sense to wear them, because **** happens off road!!
2005 Nissan Titan CC SE 4x4, 2006 Weekend Warrior FS2300
2 Quads, 2 Motorcycle and a '06 Rhino
1 Patient Wife, 1 Crazy child, 1 sweet baby.
RIP Bubba and Toby, we love you.

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't know that would work. Glad to hear it. Wonder when they will start stopping jeeps and suzuki samurais with seat belts and roll bars?

dedmiston
Camorhino wrote:

He got off with a warning since he argued that his plated SxS is a street legal vehicle and not subject to the helmet requirement.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer

porknbeanr
Explorer
Explorer
Had a great time meeting everyone. Really a bunch of nice people who like to have fun. The weather was perfect, two great rides. It was everything advertised and then some. The problem is I came home with a list in my mind of things I would like for the next trip.

New RZR
or
New Arctic Cat Wildcat

Race Radios

Camp Kitchen with Granite Countertops

Solar Charging System

Ice Maker

and last but not least a Kenworth

All kidding aside, we had a very fun weekend. Hope we can do it again soon. Only bummer was a flat on trailer (right rear) going down 395 on the way home. Tore up the fender skirt and the sheet metal but nothing that can't be fixed. I just hope it will be done in time for Thanksgiving.

Thanks again to everyone for all your hospitality.
Brent and Pam
2008 CYCLONE 4012
2008 F350 SUPER DUTY
2007 ARCTIC CAT PROWLER SXS
1999 CLUB CAR

McKenziek
Explorer
Explorer
Now thats a fire

Semper Fi

What helmet law?

2005 Monaco Diplomat