cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is the procedure for buying a fifth wheel?

journeyernow
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! We are looking to buy our first RV and are very excited! We have decided that a fifth wheel would give our family the most space. We have been looking around and see a few that we like.

So, since we have never done this before, we are sort of clueless as to how to start the buying process.

What is the procedure?

Thanks! We can use all the help that we can get!
34 REPLIES 34

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
calamus wrote:
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2002/11/03/149912.html

We have a 2003 Duramax diesel 3/4 ton and a 36' 5th wheel @13,000lbs. Dry I was reading all this and thinking Wow I dont have enough truck to pull my 5th wheel, that I have been towing for 5 years! I pulled up the link and chevy 3/4 looks to be rated at 16,000lbs for a 5th wheel. The motors are all the same in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks That being said we are looking to get a 1-ton diesel dually. Mostly because we Tow livestock and tractors also.
Just because you have done it OK so far does not make it right!
You are WAY over payload rating for that truck and (more importantly) probably over RAWR as well.
I recommend the OP does NOT go down this road!

Thats funny because it looks like you have about the same set up? It looks like pay load max is 3,360lbs. and the hitch weight is about 1700lbs. on a 13,000lbs 5th wheel. Somewhere Im confused because this is 99% of the set ups I see at the lake every weekend? I do know I have pulled it all over the state and South Dakota also and never been stopped or had problems. Will it pull it up hills with out slowing down no but a bigger truck with the same motor is not going to go up hills any faster?
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
Go find what you want and like and then buy it.

journeyernow
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, everybody! Thanks a lot for all the ideas!

How do I get em to hook up the trailer so that I can see how it works?

Also, what good will it be to go see new trailers at the RV shows if we want to buy used?

No, we do not have a truck yet! Looks like we did one thing right so far!

journeyernow
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Mama wrote:
On the Beginning RVing section of these forums is a section called Frequently Asked Questions where we found links to a list of things to check ourselves on used units. We took it with us and did everyone of them on the list. Lots of good reading in that section.

Thanks! I'll check out! 'Preciate that!

Do the dealers have a problem with us doing a really thorough check?

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
On the Beginning RVing section of these forums is a section called Frequently Asked Questions where we found links to a list of things to check ourselves on used units. We took it with us and did everyone of them on the list. Lots of good reading in that section.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
If it has rear recliners have the slides pulled in to see if you will have to move/haul/pile them up to get clearence for the slides to come in. Many do.

JoshInReno
Explorer
Explorer
Do you already have a truck you plan to tow this trailer with? If so, you need to match the trailer to the truck.

If you are buying a new truck, you also need to match the trailer to the truck, but you will have much more flexibility.
2016 F250 Crew Cab Longbed 4x4
2017 Grey Wolf 26DBH

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
bobcouch wrote:
Actually, it is an easy 3-step process:
  1. Pick a truck you like
  2. Pick a 5th wheel your wife likes
  3. Hook 'em up and learn from your mistakes like all the rest of us have

:B:B:B
This is exactly what we did except for number 3. When we pack for a 2 or 3 week trip we are not over weight, squatting on the suspension nor having trouble with hills, mountains or anything else you can think of. In the years since Feb.'05 we have put untold miles on the rig, never had a tire blow out,flat,drop it on truck,etc. Tires were still oems when changed this passed Sept. It sits plugged in 24/7 at the house and still has the original battery. I have a long bed so no fancy slider hitch, just your basic Reese 16k double pivot. To say the least we are happy with our rig. JME.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
I second the visit to the Tampa RV show which is the week of Jan 13, 2014 at the fairgrounds. You can google the Tampa RV Super Show and you will get more info including days of the show and semeinars etc. I have been to other shows including Hershey, Pa. and the Tampa show is by far the biggest and best. Your ticket is good for two days so take your time. Look over the rigs on display but don't fall for all the sales promo, my advice is do not impulse buy.Take in the seminars and the vendors also. Good deals are available after the show. Look over the rigs you like and then check them out really well. A lot of rigs look nice inside but the construction you don't see may not be that great. After you decide what fiver you want then you will know what size truck you will need. Take your time do the research and don't be swayed by cosmetics alone. Also do not trust a sales person, most of them do not rv and they only sell rv's because last week they got fired from selling washing machines. I have towed the same fiver with both a 3/4ton SRW shortbed Ram and a 1ton long bed DRW Ram. The 3/4 ton did the job but the 1ton goes way beyond just doing the job. Again your needs, your budget your choice. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're already in Florida, I suggest that you take the time to attend the big RV show that's held every year in January at the Florida State Fairgrounds just outside Tampa. Make motel reservations now and plan to attend for at least 2 full non-stop days. Manufacturer reps are also available to answer questions. This is just about the biggest show in the country (some say it IS the biggest). The show is just huge. This show was a big help to me when I was narrowing down my choices. It was great being able to go from one rig to another and also to be able to ask questions of the factory reps.

This year it starts on 15 Jan (Public days).

http://www.frvta.org/rv-shows/florida-rv-supershow/

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
bobcouch wrote:
  1. Pick a truck you like

Unfortunately this is how most people do it thus you end up with a 3/4 ton truck and massive 5th wheel and are way overweight. In my best whiny voice; "But it has a diesel engine" like that matters for two seconds!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! Bob nailed it! ๐Ÿ˜„
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
  1. Pick a truck you like

Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

jeff__h
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
Excellent suggestions from Fred......but does it have to be a ford? LOL!

For the newer Fords, you can get a factory installed 5th wheel prep package. The 5th wheel ratings are also higher than what most people in this thread are quoting, so YMMV, but my F-250 Crew cab 4x4 diesel is rated at 15,900 according to Ford. I haven't pushed that limit yet.

Page two of the ford manual has what you are looking for.
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_superdtypu.pdf