cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What did you do to your Toy Hauler today???

Rich_Panganiban
Explorer
Explorer
This is always a fun thread to watch so I thought I would start one here.
2007 Jayco Greyhawk - Kodiak 32SS
'00 Subaru Outback Wagon
2,288 REPLIES 2,288

offtohavasu
Explorer
Explorer
eightydo wrote:
For those that think you can have two male ends on a cord
You Can't Really Fix Stupid

Exactly! It's like when I went in to my mother-in-law's attic to figure out why her recessed lighting would work intermittently and discovered whoever installed them used cut off extension cords. Brilliant!

eightydo
Explorer
Explorer
For those that think you can have two male ends on a cord
You Can't Really Fix Stupid
06 Ram 3500 DRW
Edge Tuner, BnD Exhaust Break: Trans Cooler
Voltage 3200
05 FLHTCI

offtohavasu
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
IOWASTROKER wrote:
Male on both ends is the simple way to get the 120 volts back to my service panel. Thx for the info, but never heard that it was dangerous. How so? I use the same HOnda to "backfeed" my service panel on my LOG home in order to run the TV and blower curcuit for my woodburner cuz we lose power weekly, particularly in the Winter. Will call my electrician first thing Monday and ask his opinion. Thx for the warning:))

You don't think metal ends sticking out, where it is VERY easy to touch them, is dangerous?

Easy to say I will always plug it in first. But, can forget. Grandson can plug it in, and touch ends. Just not worth it. Get a correct cord/adapter made up that does NOT have two males. Let us know what your electrician says.

As you say, people do it in homes too. Same risk, plus you risk killing lineman too, if you forget to turn off your main box.

That's why I was sure to install a main/generator breaker interlock device, you can't close the generator breaker without opening the main, and visa versa. Also, lockout tag out the panel.

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
You need to install a male wall outlet with a locking cover...like this.
Or THIS.
And yet one more HERE at Amazon.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
IOWASTROKER wrote:
Male on both ends is the simple way to get the 120 volts back to my service panel. Thx for the info, but never heard that it was dangerous. How so? I use the same HOnda to "backfeed" my service panel on my LOG home in order to run the TV and blower curcuit for my woodburner cuz we lose power weekly, particularly in the Winter. Will call my electrician first thing Monday and ask his opinion. Thx for the warning:))

You don't think metal ends sticking out, where it is VERY easy to touch them, is dangerous?

Easy to say I will always plug it in first. But, can forget. Grandson can plug it in, and touch ends. Just not worth it. Get a correct cord/adapter made up that does NOT have two males. Let us know what your electrician says.

As you say, people do it in homes too. Same risk, plus you risk killing lineman too, if you forget to turn off your main box.

eightydo
Explorer
Explorer
IOWASTROKER wrote:

Voltage does not kill amperage does VERY DANDGEOUS 0.5 amps can kill
A normal house circuit has 15 Amps.
06 Ram 3500 DRW
Voltage 3200
05 FLHTCI

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never heard it was dangerous?! Common sense should tell you that having power to a male plug is not a safe practice. Too easy to inadvertently touch the prongs. That's why extension cords are designed the way they are.

You really should do a bit of redesign on your cord, just in case someone comes along who doesn't realize that male plug is hot.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

IOWASTROKER
Explorer
Explorer

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
lawnspecialties wrote:
I gave it an extremely thorough bath. Good grief. Roof, awnings, slides, and all four sides. Took the entire day. :E

Hey I did the same thing. What a job.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

eightydo
Explorer
Explorer
IOWASTROKER wrote:
Since we dry camp OR camp where I prefer NOT to run the Onan 5.5, I use a little Honda 2000. Been fighting the "big" drop chord, sizing it down to 120 volts to fit the Honda. Well...today..built my patch chord (a male on each end), diagnosed which breakers in my panel I needed on in order to transfer 120 volts from HOnda to basement recept in order to "feed" my panel, then checked which breakers I wanted "on" in order to use my CPAP next to my bed. Ended up, that breaker also "lit" up both my sat dish,tvs AND the recept my wife uses to charge her smart phone. This could be my lucky night:)))))

are you asking to kill yourself or someone else. male on both is VERY DANDGEOUS 0.5 amps can kill :S :E
06 Ram 3500 DRW
Voltage 3200
05 FLHTCI

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I gave it an extremely thorough bath. Good grief. Roof, awnings, slides, and all four sides. Took the entire day. :E

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
mpierce wrote:
IOWASTROKER wrote:
Since we dry camp OR camp where I prefer NOT to run the Onan 5.5, I use a little Honda 2000. Been fighting the "big" drop chord, sizing it down to 120 volts to fit the Honda. Well...today..built my patch chord (a male on each end), diagnosed which breakers in my panel I needed on in order to transfer 120 volts from HOnda to basement recept in order to "feed" my panel, then checked which breakers I wanted "on" in order to use my CPAP next to my bed. Ended up, that breaker also "lit" up both my sat dish,tvs AND the recept my wife uses to charge her smart phone. This could be my lucky night:)))))

"A male on BOTH ends"

Be careful. NOT recommended. This is a deadly combo.
Ooh, I hadn't noticed that, very scary thing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
IOWASTROKER wrote:

"A male on BOTH ends"

Be careful. NOT recommended. This is a deadly combo.

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
IOWASTROKER wrote:

Is it enough generator to run all that at the same time?
'17 F450 CCLB Platinum dually

IOWASTROKER
Explorer
Explorer