cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What happens if you plug a 50 Amp RV into 22V welder plug

jeepman71
Explorer
Explorer
I am currious, if my rv were a 50amp system and I plug into a 220V welder or dryer outlet what will I find? What different circuits or equipment would likely be damaged?

Let's assume that this rv is a very late model like a 2012.

I don't have to worry because mine is only a 30amp.
86 REPLIES 86

Jim_and_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
RGordon is absoulty right! I have been an Industrial Maintenance Supervisor for 10 + years. All it is 220 single phase its only two 110 legs with a ground wire where it ties on a buss bar in the box that is also a tie point for your nuteral on a 110 v circut. The AMP rating is how much draw it it can handel while working 30 AMP is normal for a house.

RGordon
Explorer
Explorer
It will work fine and you will not have any problems on any 220 volt receptacle.
What most of you don't realize is that the neutral and ground and tied together when it hits the electrical panel. I have been using a 50 amp receptacle with only one ground & neutral since 2003 and have never had any shocks or issues within rv and no irregular stray voltages that were mentioned. It works for me for my purposes and would never recommend others do the same. I have been a Electrician for over 40 years and know what I am doing. I did drive a ground rod at the 50 amp receptacle box.
Ron & Libby Gordon
07 Ford F350 Dually Tow Boss Diesel
07 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #3698
02 Winnebago Adventurer 35U V10 (Former RV)
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
I usually try to steer clear of the electrical threads.

It appears there's a lot of confusion with the difference concerning 30 amp (3 pole) or 50 amp (4 pole) service.

Seems like when talking 50 amp folks will speak of 220 volts to the coach.
In the trailer we have the 4\10 gauge line from a commercial source is 110 carried on a split hot line.

One line feeds the AC\IPO, microwave, convertor and fast recovery water heater.
The second line feeds everything else.

I actually didn't realize our trailers wiring was split until I tried to whip up a home adapter for basic power needs on the curb.
Plugged in my adapter and quickly realized the mistake.
Disassembled the plug and jumped a lead to the other hot spade.

Everything in the trailer that uses AC is 110 volts.
So even though we talk 220 volts on a 50 amp service line it is essentially 2 separate 110 inputs.

Our coach doesn't actually use 220 anywhere.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
vermilye wrote:
Since most welder receptacles don't have a neutral, there is no safe way to connect to them even if you wire an adapter. The ground & neutral should be separate wires; combining them will create shock hazards both in the RV & from the ground wiring between the RV & the source.

Trying to use the RV without a neutral will result in unusual voltages on the two legs - depending on the loads on each leg you could end up with a couple of volts on one & almost 240V on the other.

Attempting to use the ground as a neutral will put the neutral voltage on all the bonded metal between the RV & the source - not only a shock hazard for you in the RV, but also for those that touch plumbing, heating ducts, etc. In other words, unless it is a 4 pole connector wired with separate neutral & ground connections, don't use it.

Thank you....someone that understands electricity and the different ways it can be wired.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

greende
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
Since most welder receptacles don't have a neutral, there is no safe way to connect to them even if you wire an adapter. The ground & neutral should be separate wires; combining them will create shock hazards both in the RV & from the ground wiring between the RV & the source.

Trying to use the RV without a neutral will result in unusual voltages on the two legs - depending on the loads on each leg you could end up with a couple of volts on one & almost 240V on the other.

Attempting to use the ground as a neutral will put the neutral voltage on all the bonded metal between the RV & the source - not only a shock hazard for you in the RV, but also for those that touch plumbing, heating ducts, etc. In other works, unless it is a 4 pole connector wired with separate neutral & ground connections, don't use it.

What he said
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a 4 wire receptacle with a ground, neutral & 2 hots it will work fine. If it is only 3 wire like most welding machines 2 hots & a ground it could be disastrous. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer

Attempting to use the ground as a neutral will put the neutral voltage on all the bonded metal between the RV & the source - not only a shock hazard for you in the RV, but also for those that touch plumbing, heating ducts, etc. In other words, unless it is a 4 pole connector wired with separate neutral & ground connections, don't use it.

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
A dryer is only 30A, but a range would be 50A. If I remember, a house range does not require a separate ground so it is only a 3 prong, but a mobile home range does require a separate ground and I believe it uses the same receptacle as the RV pedestal.

I'm probably not saying this right, but the receptacle has two 50A 110VAC circuits - it's the welder that combines them to make it 220VAC. There should be no impact to the RV, as it will just use both legs as 110VAC.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure you have a VOM at your side before plugging in.

What is 50a service? 2007
RV electric 50a website
RV 50a wiring diagrams
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the outlet is a NEMA 14-50 you are good to go. Otherwise the plug will not fit.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Probably nothing. Most welder plugs don't have a Neutral, so none of the 120 stuff would work, but you SHOULDN'T let the smoke out.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
Not a problem. 220 volts is 220 volts. I have a adapter just for that, we use it when we go to my sister's house.