cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What happens if you plug a 50 Amp RV into 22V welder plug

jeepman71
Explorer
Explorer
I am currious, if my rv were a 50amp system and I plug into a 220V welder or dryer outlet what will I find? What different circuits or equipment would likely be damaged?

Let's assume that this rv is a very late model like a 2012.

I don't have to worry because mine is only a 30amp.
86 REPLIES 86

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I am talking about the direct connection from main box to the utility transformer as asked.
You will see three wires come into your main box. Two hot and the neutral.

Earth ground is created at the main panel and bonded to neutral.

Utility transformer may have its own earth ground but I have no real idea.

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
KMLsquared wrote:
I might be mistaken but I did not think the utility even provided a neutral?

I believe this is correct if referring to the old 240V dryer/welding outlets. There is no neutral.

Not sure what SMKettner is suggesting unless he is referring to the 120/240V 1phase 4 wire 50 amp service. But the question seemed about a garage dryer/welder outlet.

The right answer as posted is measure the voltage across all pin combinations.
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

AniJet
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
If it ever worked for welding, there has to be some confidence that the neutral is neutral or the welder wouldn't have worked at all.

VERY BAD AND DANGEROUS ADVICE! A neutral is not needed for 220vac.
07 Mobile Suites 36TK3 Demco GlideRide PIn Box
12 3500HD D/A CC 4X4 AirSafe Hitch

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
If it ever worked for welding, there has to be some confidence that the neutral is neutral or the welder wouldn't have worked at all.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

Sandy___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
One of three things will happen:

1. It is wired correctly and everything works great
2. You have it wired wrong, but not seriously, nothing work or only half the outlets work.
3. You have it wired so that 240 volts go across half of your circuits and you burn up everything plugged into half of your rv circuits!

The 50-amp plug on an RV requires a neutral, two hot leads, 180 degrees out of phase (but that isnโ€™t really necessary if nothing is actually 240 volts), and a ground.

Neutral has to be neutral or you are in deep trouble. If you wire one of the hot input lines to neutral and the neutral input to one of the hot lines, that half of the circuit will get 120 volts and all will work properly. The other half will have one of the hot input lines as the neutral and the other hor input line as its hot line. The result is 240 volts across that โ€œneutralโ€ to hot connection and everything on that half of the circuits will get 240 volts, possibly blowing up your frig, microwave, TV, or anything else!
Proud members of the S.K.I. club . . . $pending our Kids Inheritance

Their inheritance is now a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 378XL

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Plugging in blind you have a 50/50 chance of a bad outcome. It has less to do with what the outlet was originally installed, it has more to do with how the actual outlet was wired.

If you follow this testing you can validate if the plug is compatible or not.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
KMLsquared wrote:

Yes standard single phase service provides 240v and the transformer center tap as the neutral. The main distribution panel needs to have its own earth ground.

AniJet
Explorer
Explorer
KMLsquared wrote:

A 50 amp RV service has four contacts.
2 110vac - Protected by double 50 amp circuit breaker in the pedestal
1 neutral
1 ground

A 30 amp RV service has three contacts.
1 110vac - Protected by single 30 amp circuti breaker in the pedestal
1 neutral
1 ground

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

AniJet
Explorer
Explorer
LostinAZ wrote:
What isn't being mentioned when we discuss two 110 V legs is they have to be out of phase to create 220V service. My understanding is that the 50 Amp service we hook into at RV Resort/Park pedestals, the two 110V 50 amp legs are not out of phase and therefore 220V is never present inside the RV.

Not so. If that was the case, the neutral would carry 100 amps if you were able to use all 50 amps on each hot leg. They must be opposite phase. If done correctly, when the load is the same on each hot leg the neutral carries nothing. The neutral only carries the difference between the hot legs. You can plug into any properly wired 220vac outlet as long as the plug and receptacle match (or you have the properly wired adapters).

It's all done in the RV. Each load is wired across only one hot leg and the neutral so the load will only see 110vac. A load would need to be wired across both hot legs to see 220vac.

Edit: It must have a neutral and ground. Any receptacle with no neutral (like a welder plug) should never be used for a RV.

hanger3281
Explorer
Explorer
You will lose your converter, could loose you microwave, fridge, waterheater etc. like I did. Make sure before you plug in.

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Jim and Barb wrote:
RGordon is absoulty right! I have been an Industrial Maintenance Supervisor for 10 + years. All it is 220 single phase its only two 110 legs with a ground wire where it ties on a buss bar in the box that is also a tie point for your nuteral on a 110 v circut. The AMP rating is how much draw it it can handel while working 30 AMP is normal for a house.

What isn't being mentioned when we discuss two 110 V legs is they have to be out of phase to create 220V service. My understanding is that the 50 Amp service we hook into at RV Resort/Park pedestals, the two 110V 50 amp legs are not out of phase and therefore 220V is never present inside the RV.

rb71
Explorer
Explorer
I do it all the time. It beats the heck out of getting ready to go camping sweeting your butt off.
Bobby
2014 Ram 3500 mega dually
2013 Voltage 3895
Pullrite 4400

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
I WOULD SAY, DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF MONEY.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
jeepman71 wrote:
I am currious, if my rv were a 50amp system and I plug into a 220V welder or dryer outlet what will I find? What different circuits or equipment would likely be damaged?

Let's assume that this rv is a very late model like a 2012.

I don't have to worry because mine is only a 30amp.

The age of the RV has little to do with the possible results.

If I recall the usage of a 3 wire plug (L1-L2-Gnd) for dryers typically found in basements/garages was updated to a 4 wire requirement about 1986. So your home build date may be a better factor.

The older 30/50 amp 230V dryer receptacles would mate with the 30 amp plug of today and this is where the problems occur.

The only right way to know is measure the voltage at the receptacle.

In the RV, 30 amp are 3 pin and 50 amp are 4 pin. You dont need to discuss 230V when all is wired correctly.
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013