cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is the best way to stabilize 5er?

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Have not tried it but I imagine the best location for additional stabilizer jacks would be to the front or rear of the wheels. I would seem that the springs are a weak point given that you have rigid stabilizers at the front and rear.
Now that I have given my untested point of view I would like to hear some tested opinions to help me make an informed decision. Thanks in advance for your responses.
21 REPLIES 21

Best_Coast_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
I use a front tripod on the kingpin (huge improvement), the factory landing gear, and the factory rear jacks, and adjust periodically. Things settle. Never hurts to relevel periodically.
1989 Prowler Regal 32.5 Front LR 5th
1999 Ford F250 7.3 TurboDiesel

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Steadyfast.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
I did a poor mans 6pt level up system. Front landing gear, mid ship and rear stabilizers. Seems to work well for us.

I did the same thing back when we had our Montana. I made a couple of "jacks" out of scrap 4 X 4's and 2 X 4's, took a lot of the "bounce" out of the Montana. I had to buy some threaded rod, nuts and washers other wise it was a cheap easy project. They worked very well for us while we had our other trailer. Now we have the real thing, love the 6 point level up system. :B

Dan

K_sKamper
Explorer
Explorer
Added Bal to both front and back of our Fifth Wheel. Made a world of difference.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Steadyfast (similar to JT but 3 lock points) and it made a huge difference. Initially only did the front and made a noticeable difference but after doing the back its rock solid. Best ~$275 spent on trailer.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

jlarocca95
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the steadyfast system and had moderate success with it. It definitely helps but still has quite a bit of shake. I've tried numerous different tricks to no avail. I'm going to try a set of jacks in front of the axles next to see if that helps. I can feel it every time one of my kids moves around in their bed and it drives me crazy.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Colo Native wrote:
Martyn wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Adding JT Strongarm stabilizers made a LOT of difference in taking the shake out of ours.

Same here - best mod I have ever done.

Did you install on rear too?

Yes
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
When we still owned our Montana I tried enhancing the stability of our unit. After looking at the 6 point leveling systems I made a couple of "jacks". They did take a lot of the "bounce" out of our trailer but were kind of a PITA setting up and taking down.

As others have said the J T Strongarms will help significantly IMHO, we bought a set of these as well. I was amazed how much side to side movement they eliminated, hence my opinion as to the performance the JT's would give (without actually owning a set).

But the Montana went away in May of 2014 and we now enjoy the 6 point level up system and LOVE it! :B

Dan

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Bal brand made by Norco has VERY good options for 5th wheels and TT's alike.

http://norcoind.com/bal/index.shtml

For my TT, I love their locking arm stabilizers. For little money, they make my TT rock solid when parked.

I have X-chocks too...but they have NO effect since installing the locking arms from Bal

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Steadyfast and X-Chocks also and very solid. The only time we feel movement is when the washer is in its final spin or the boys are on the rear deck and then be movement is minimal.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what is best but JT's work for us.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Colo Native wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Adding JT Strongarm stabilizers made a LOT of difference in taking the shake out of ours.

Did you install on the rear as well?

Yes.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a carriage with 4 point big foot levelers. Between the hyd levelers, rootstocks,, and front king pin stabilizer I get rid of all movement.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I just have the electric rear stabilizers that came on the trailer and the landing gear. I use rotochoks so rocking is nearly nonexistant. My problem is when the dog walks across the floor the whole trailer bounces. I fixed this by getting some scissors jacks out of old cars at the junk yard and using my cordless impact to run them. I put them right on the front spring hangers and it makes a huge difference.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS