cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's Too long

prodeville
Explorer
Explorer
I'm selling my house and want to upgrade from my truck camper to a fifth wheel. I plan to live in it for a while until I decide where I'm moving to and if I want another stick house. Meanwhile I will do some traveling but I'm limited because I still work. I'm very interested in DRV fifth wheels, however I'm a little concerned about the length. I've heard that there are a lot of RV parks that have restrictions on length. Since I have had a truck camper all these years, this was never a problem. The fiver I'm looking at is 40'. Will I have a problem? I'm not one to want to stay at resort parks. I like a variety. I already know State and National parks are out. Could someone give me some insight?
20 REPLIES 20

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
My Gateway is just over 41ft and I've never had a problem finding a spot but I always call ahead and check. I almost always stay in state parks.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
See fiver in sig. Cap to Cap is 40'6 in long. Official measurement is 38'11' That is pin box to rear cap. I carry two bikes which makes the fiver about 43' long for the sake of finding spots. Most parks have more then enough overhang room. We full time and stay in state and federal parks the majority of the time. You will find parks mostly government that will not accommodate you. However there are many more where you will fit. Be advised that DRV is a heavy rig. You will need a diesel dually at min.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

BiggYella
Explorer
Explorer
You just have to plan ahead, like everyone else here is telling you. And even when you plan ahead, review the sites, maps, and RV park reviews to make sure you can get in. It's all about due diligence, really. Do your part and you should be fine.

And practice. Camper to 40' is a big jump. Unless you drive semi for a living.
2015 Cougar 330RBK
2006 Dodge Ram Megacab, 5.9 Diesel
SmartyJr

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
prodeville wrote:
I'm selling my house and want to upgrade from my truck camper to a fifth wheel. I plan to live in it for a while until I decide where I'm moving to and if I want another stick house. Meanwhile I will do some traveling but I'm limited because I still work. I'm very interested in DRV fifth wheels, however I'm a little concerned about the length. I've heard that there are a lot of RV parks that have restrictions on length. Since I have had a truck camper all these years, this was never a problem. The fiver I'm looking at is 40'. Will I have a problem? I'm not one to want to stay at resort parks. I like a variety. I already know State and National parks are out. Could someone give me some insight?

Your current TV is 2008 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Dually 4x4 V-10.

There are some of the shorter DRV 5er you could carry and pull with the 2008 V-10, but not a long one. They ones that would give you length issues would be in the 18,000# to 20,000# GVWR.

The shortest is 13,500# Dry! While the V-10 is a strong engine, it isn't a diesel. You might be able to pull a smaller one, but not the long ones.

DRV Site
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

prodeville
Explorer
Explorer
This site has been down for maintenace for a while. I wanted to Thank all of you for you input. I dont know how to respond to each of you individualy. One comment was that I need to be more concerned about my truck seeing as thow its a gasser. I plan to purchase a new truck for this project. It will be a diesel.
Another question was how many people will be traveling. It's just me and the grand children, which could be three or four at a time.
Thanks again! I'm sure I may have more questions later.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're 43' and haven't been turned away yet. Most will list if they're 'BIG RIG" friendly. I would be more worried about the weight of a DRV and an older Gas F350 Dually. Some of the DRVs tax even the newer crop of Diesel Duallies.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the research before begining to look. We wanted to do SPs, NPs, even FS cgs to size really did matter.

Generally once you go over 35' the options decrease rapidly for those really nice public CGs. Private CGs, not so much. They will shoehorn you in somewhere but 40' plus is really stretching capabilitys for the private CGs too.

Have to allow for the truck & going over the 35-36' mark is putting you in 3500 dually territory. That is making you 55' plus real fast.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you'll have very many problems if you are staying primarily in RV parks. They're a lot more accommodating to larger rigs. It's when you start looking at CGs is when spots could get limited.
I basing this on west coast use, never been to the Midwest or east coast so I don't know what the CGs are like there.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends upon a lot where you're camping. My travel trailer is 35 1/2 feet long. I've never had problems parking in any Campground. Also we have had to make reservations to make sure we could get a spot that was adequate for our needs. We very seldom show up at a campground without a reservation first period but we have not been to any camp site that we've not been able to get into. But I've never been to California either.

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
The law is the same in norcal and socal. GVWR of 5ver between 10k amd 15k you need an endorsement on your class c license (12804.9 veh code). GVWR over 15k then non com class A or commercial A. The class c endorsement is free and involves 25 question test and self certify medical. To upgrade to non com A you need 25 question written test, self certify med and a drive test and pay for upgrade fee. BTW when my DW got her class c endorsement they took a new picture for her new license (not happy about not being prepared you know hair and makeup stuff). Also note the law says GVWR not actual weight!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Newer commercial parks...generally not an issue.

Older parks or govt owned parks...sometimes it's not an option.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
There hasn't been a park that I wanted to stay in that I couldn't. We have a 40' fifth wheel, a 24' truck, 57' going down the road, and 64' nose to tail with no room to walk between.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Private RV parks, rarely a problem. National, state, COE, park service, etc could be. Some can accommodate that length, some will have length restrictions below that.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
How many people do you have to accommodate in the 40 footer?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)