cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel Base

Tony_B
Explorer
Explorer
I will be pulling a 38' 5th wheel. Have not bought a truck yet.
Which will be easier towing and maneuvering, long or short wheelbase
truck?
Tony B
13 REPLIES 13

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I presently own both. I learned a long time ago one isn't better than the other in all situations.
I also made a living pulling heavy GN trailers with both SRW and DRW and short and long bed LDT's. Bed length is just a preference.
One isn't better, or needed, than the other for pulling a rv trailer.

Long bed vs short bed
SRW vs DRW.
Boils down to what one owns.

Maneuverability ??
You get used to a the +/- of a 14'-15' wheel base truck after using it for a while.

SRW vs DRW ??
one ton srw have 7000 rawr -7230 rawr for around 3600-3800 lbs in the bed.
The one ton drw have 9375 rawr -9900 rawr for over 6k lb payload in the bed

Get the truck brand with enough capacity or bed length or 4wd vs 2wd or gaz vs diesel or other things some folks that have never owned one make silly uneducated comments about,........ that works best for your needs/wants.

Kinda like a gazzer boy that never owned a diesel and tells us all about the +/- of a diesel powered truck.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never owned a short bed, never will. I carry too much stuff to worry about 2 feet. Ride, much better with a long bed. Storage, much better with a long bed. With a short bed about all your going to get in there is the hitch. Long bed, you can still carry stuff.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
My current truck is a LB. All others have been SB. On the road, LB for sure. Backing into a campsite, I have not mastered the long wheelbase as of 18 mo. later. Pull thrus are my friend. Trucker also my daily driver. Yes, I park farther out. No problem.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 38' IMO there is not much of a decision to make. 3500 long bed dually. The stability & safety far outweigh the slight inconvenience of having to park a little further from the door while shopping.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We went with CC DRW after following the pros and cons on this and other fourms.
Stability, load capasity were top of my list.
I had never towed anything other than a boat triler before hitching up to our fifthwheel. We had a five hundred mile trip home on mixed roadways from Interstates to curvey county roads. She towed solid. After 55,000 miles towing across the country east to west and north to south sonetimes in high winds I'm sure my decision was the correct one.
Parking lots, the walk in from the outfield is good for you.
Backin sites are a fact of life. Some parks are easy due to layout and some are not. I've never not been able to backin to an assigned site though some have taken more than one try. Amusement for other campers. Sometimes kudos from the winner of the bet that he'll never git it in there.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
Easier maneuverability will be short wheelbase. Easier driving will be long wheelbase . You can't have it both ways.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only negative is a long bed may not fit in your garage. To list the negatives of a short bed well that would take too much of my precious time!

Longbed for sure and over 14K GVWR a Dually.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
My reason for buying a dually is better safety when towing. Have had minor issues solo because of long and wide but feel it is best for our needs.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Tony_B
Explorer
Explorer
md_procouple wrote:
The only disadvantage to a long bed is finding a place to park esp..... without taking up 2 spaces.....

Yes, we already thought about that, but we normally dont spend time looking to be right up front. It's sometimes easier just to go and park further back in a parking lot. Places like Walmart, some people block the whole fairway waiting for someone to pull out near the front.

The model we are buying is a Denali 293RKS. It has a lower profile than most 5ers. GVW is only a drop over 12K and so we certainly dont need a dually. I'm sure that will decrease my gas mileage.

It's just a beautiful and comfortable truck.
Tony B

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
The only disadvantage to a long bed is finding a place to park esp. in a shopping center, without taking up 2 spaces. Our next TV will be a dually for sure. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Tony_B
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.

We looked at a used Ford - I think a lariat - dually.
originally I was opposed to a duallu because they usually look awkward. This one did not and driving it felt like a Cadillac. Only problem was it looked like it was a mile long and i know that means a large diameter circle for a U turn. We will be full timers and it will be my only vehicle so that is why I am concerned. It sure is a beautiful truck.
I know I can get used to driving anything but I was wondering just how inconvenient it could be on a day to day basis.
Tony B

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Towing, normally long base is best. Maneuvering, normally shorter base best. Each combination, truck/FW can have varying results with chucking, due to distance between axles, and road surfaces. I'd buy the truck that works best for your total use, unless it will be for towing only.

Jerry

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
38 foot fiver? I think you would be more concerned with which would handle the weight load, SRW or dually.