cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Tires are Changed on a 5th Wheel

MSFSnTEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
This is my first time to own a 5th wheel. Lots of questions still. But the immediate question I have is about the tires being changed tomorrow.

Again, I know I'm going to sound like a total fool, but will the 5th wheel remain hitched to the truck when they jack up the 5th wheel to remove the tires? Or do I unhitch from the truck and lower the jacks (front only, rear and front)? Seems to me that if I unhitched and lowered jacks that when they jack up the 5th wheel that it would have a negative impact to the jacks.
16 REPLIES 16

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
You must follow the recommendations for re torquing the lugs after tires have been removed. It is especially important for aluminum wheels. You have to re torque them every 25 miles for the first hundred miles and then again at 150 miles. If you do not do this, you run the risk of a tire coming off. A pain yes, but very important.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
NHIrish wrote:
And don't let them jack under the axle tube itself. Amazing how many guys start to do that.

Actually its the best/safest/less jacking place to jack from when changing a flat tire on the side of the road for a std leaf spring suspension. Place the jack under the axle tube next to the U bolt and nothing gets bent or crushed.
Both of my truck tire dealers use a lifting beam placed under the trailers axles with one hyd jack under each beam.

Now if its the square thin wall torsion type axle tubes then those thin walls can crush or bend.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

To answer the OP question it doesn't make any difference if the trailer is hooked to the truck or unhooked. A experienced tire shop has the equipment and know how to show you or anyone how its done safely/properly.
Now some guy down on the corner that does mechanic work and sells tires type shop and does a utility trailer once in a while ...... I would avoid them with a heavy trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Peg Leg wrote:
Leave it hitched. They will jack under the spring shackles for each tire.

If they jack under the spring shackles make them sign an agreement to fix damage to the spring shackles before they start.
HR

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I'd leave 5er hooked to truck. and Make sure they place the jack under the axle at the spring mounts, not in the middle of the axle like I caught one guy trying to do once. 😞
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
Also, make sure that they use the proper (heavy duty metal) valve stems and torque them per spec. I've had more valve stem leaks than I care to think about on trailers.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
And don't let them jack under the axle tube itself. Amazing how many guys start to do that.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Which ever way you go, READ THE DATE STAMP on each tire & don't accept any over six months old.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear changed all five of mine at the same time while hooked to the truck and no jacks extended.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
I just raise the entire trailer off the ground with the hydraulic landing jacks.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MSFSnTEXAS wrote:
This is my first time to own a 5th wheel. Lots of questions still. But the immediate question I have is about the tires being changed tomorrow.

Again, I know I'm going to sound like a total fool, but will the 5th wheel remain hitched to the truck when they jack up the 5th wheel to remove the tires? Or do I unhitch from the truck and lower the jacks (front only, rear and front)? Seems to me that if I unhitched and lowered jacks that when they jack up the 5th wheel that it would have a negative impact to the jacks.

Both times I've put tires on mine, I just parked it where the Discount Tire guys wanted it, unhooked, and went home until they called me. I just don't see how jacking 1 wheel up (I was specific about that) at a time, will put that much stress on the landing gear. If it =did=, I'd have =severe= reservations about the whole landing gear system!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Leave it hitched. The tire dealer will tell you exactly what to do, so don't sweat it.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Leave it hitched, if they jack up one side of the trailer at a time that would put a lot of stress on the landing gear.

MSFSnTEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Leave it connected, likely the tire shop will place their jack directly under the spring pad and lift just enough to get the tires clear of the ground. They may use two jacks one on each axle and do the whole side at the same time. have them balanced at the same time. What type and size?

Thank you everyone for your replies. I appreciate the help very much.

Purchased 235/85R16 (G rate, 14 ply). Goodyear - decided to go with what the OEM originally placed on the 5th wheel and what most on this forum were kind enough to educate me about and to provide their advice.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had them changed with it still hitched to truck and with it unhooked.
Doesn't make any difference.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31