cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to winterize in the SW

DrtEMaxChvy
Explorer
Explorer
Living in NM i am curious when most of the SW folks end up winterizing. I am thinking prior to the second week of November.
Thoughts?
2014 Silveraydo 2500 LML
: Fass 150 Lift Pump, Tuned, Firestone Airbags/incab controller, AFE intake, MBRP down pipe

2016 Jayco 29.5 BHDS 34'
25 REPLIES 25

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
If you're livng out of your rv what do you do? Have to use the bathroom/shower and use the faucets. What is the routine?

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
last years southern freeze caught a lot of folks off gaurd! Texas, Georgia, trashed their units.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Are you talking about those couple of cool months around Dec./Jan. in Phoenix? ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I migrate to the sw to avoid having to winterize.

Same...

We follow the warm weather and haven't winterized in years.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyB wrote:
I do the same as NMDriver... For me just getting down to 32 degrees is not going to be a bother especially when camping if it is going to warm back up the next morning.. Its those couple of days in the high 20's that freezes things up hard for my OFF-RoAD trailer...

Using the blow out method works fine for us since most of our camping is OFF-ROAD and back off the trails alot... It only takes 5-10 minutes to winterize using the drain the big tanks and blow-out the inside lines method...

My problem is always finding fresh water after I drain my out haha... I have saved as much water as I can in jeri-cans a few times and keep it inside with us where it is abit warmer over night...

It really doesn't get below freezing for extended periods much here in the Northern Neck of Virginia area.. Of course with all of the weird climate changes on-going this too may change here locally... We are having 95 degree days here in Sep now... I may have mowed my yard for the last time already a couple of weeks back due to it dying from heat...

Roy Ken

Sounds a bit like what we do in the NW, I watch the weather and if it is going into the 20's for more than one night I go up and blow the lines and drain the HW tank. Last year I only had to do that once in the fall. We went out over the first of the year, and after that never got cold enough to worry about. In other years I have had to do it three or four times.
We camp year round, so I want it ready to go.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do the same as NMDriver... For me just getting down to 32 degrees is not going to be a bother especially when camping if it is going to warm back up the next morning.. Its those couple of days in the high 20's that freezes things up hard for my OFF-RoAD trailer...

Using the blow out method works fine for us since most of our camping is OFF-ROAD and back off the trails alot... It only takes 5-10 minutes to winterize using the drain the big tanks and blow-out the inside lines method...

My problem is always finding fresh water after I drain my out haha... I have saved as much water as I can in jeri-cans a few times and keep it inside with us where it is abit warmer over night...

It really doesn't get below freezing for extended periods much here in the Northern Neck of Virginia area.. Of course with all of the weird climate changes on-going this too may change here locally... We are having 95 degree days here in Sep now... I may have mowed my yard for the last time already a couple of weeks back due to it dying from heat...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I do not consider it winterizing since I do it summer and winter. All I ever do is drain the fresh and blow air through the water lines. I also drain the black and grey. I do that any time I will not be using the RV for a few weeks. Doesn't take long and keeps things from going sour. The P-traps will get some antifreeze if it is going to be below 20 degrees for several hours, but that is generally not until Jan or Feb.

Never had a pipe freeze on the RV although I did have a few sprinkler heads freeze in the yard.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Captain_Happy wrote:
When the outside temps get down to 32 degrees and lower.
I try to stay just a few minutes ahead of that! Going joke at our house because I always seem to be doing it in the snow at night.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

2Shays3712
Explorer
Explorer
I Agree with Captain_Happy. We winter camp and watch the lows at night and the storms that come through. We're also farther South, so we open the low point drains, remove the anode and drain the water heater, blow the lines with the compressor then put pink stuff in all the drains. Never had an issue and the lowest was at 17 for several days in a row without any problems. When we get ready to go I just fill up hot water tank at our destination. New Mexico is a little colder than Arizona though.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
When the outside temps get down to 32 degrees and lower.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I migrate to the sw to avoid having to winterize.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman