cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which of the following tires would you NOT recommend?

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
I think I am going to replace my Road Rider ST 235/80-16 E rated tires before we go out west. After weighing the trailer fully loaded, it is putting down about 2750 lbs per tire (on the tires).

What tires would you NOT replace them with from any one of the following LT "E" rated tires:

Goodrich Commercial T/A

Bridgestone Duravis M895

Bridgestone Duravis R250

Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD

Bridgestone R265 5-Rib

Dunlop Rover H/T

Firestone Transforce HT

General Grabber HTS

Goodyear Wrangler HT

Goodyear Wrangler SR-A

Michelin LTX M/S2

Uniroyal Laredo HD/H

As I seem to have an odd size tire (80 series), which would you recommend? 235/85-16 or 245/75-16? Taller or wider? Room underneath for either.

Also, where should they lift the trailer to change the tires? (I cheated and used the lippert to raise the trailer for bearing maintenance).
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB
39 REPLIES 39

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
FastEagle wrote:
The reason there is so much emphasis placed on identifying the tires and rims on a RV trailer before itโ€™s sold is to protect the first buyer/owner and all subsequent owners. It sets the bar with the Original Equipment tires. That bar is the minimum requirement for all replacement tires to follow. Equal or greater in size and load capacity. Pretty simple to be so misunderstood.

The information found on the trailerโ€™s certification label is the minimum standard set by the vehicle manufacturer via the vehicle certification process. Anyone that thinks Iโ€™m passing this information in error should write and ask NHTSA for clarification.

FastEagle

Seriously, are you on drugs?

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FastEagle wrote:
The reason there is so much emphasis placed on identifying the tires and rims on a RV trailer before itโ€™s sold is to protect the first buyer/owner and all subsequent owners. It sets the bar with the Original Equipment tires. That bar is the minimum requirement for all replacement tires to follow. Equal or greater in size and load capacity. Pretty simple to be so misunderstood.

The information found on the trailerโ€™s certification label is the minimum standard set by the vehicle manufacturer via the vehicle certification process. Anyone that thinks Iโ€™m passing this information in error should write and ask NHTSA for clarification.

FastEagle

We have been round this Mayberry bush many time on suggestions verses regs. The poster above posted a reg about GAWR. You have never post posted a law, reg or such regarding about equal or greater than OEM tires. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer

FastEagle

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Winged One wrote:
I have 7k axles with 8 lug wheels.

I don't understand how having 7k axles matters. It just means they can handle that much weight correct? It doesn't mean the tires also have to handle that much weight does it?

That is, as long as I am only carrying 5.5k on each axle, the tires on that axle also only need to be able to carry 5.5k correct?

Or what am I missing?

Your not missing a thing.
There is no law that says you have to use a 3500 lb rated tire on 7k axles. Road side dot is the only law you need to be worried with. A LT E with 3042 lbs capacity will satisfy them and your 2750 lb per tire requirement. The LT E will give you a nice reserve.
I some times up size my equipment trailers axles when I purchase one new. I've upgraded to 7k axles for the bigger brakes several times when buying a new trailer (non RV). That way I can use LT235/85-16 E on those trailers.

I have never seen a recommendation for the General Grabber or the Dunlop Rover or the Bridgestone R265-5 rib or the R-500 for trailer use. However as long as the tire isn't a AT or MT type tread they may work.

Tire on the time of first retail sale are required to be "S10.3 The tires on each motor home and RV trailer at first retail sale must be the same size as the tire size on the labeling ...".

Now your free to use any tire you choose as long as it has the capacity for the load.

I disagree with you here. The way I read the reg is that you combined tires must = GAWR (S5.12)
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.120
From S5.12 wrote:
Except in the case of a vehicle which has a speed attainable in 3.2 kilometers of 80 kilometers per hour or less, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall be not less than the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567

I agree that using an underrated tire is not going to lead to some wild lawsuit or cause the op to pulled over all the time. Just pointing out that the regulation exists and IMO it is a good idea to follow them.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"He also avoided any litigation stemming from a catastrophic accident caused by a misapplication of replacement tires."

Riiiiiiiight, happens all the time. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
FastEagle wrote:
He also avoided any litigation stemming from a catastrophic accident caused by a misapplication of replacement tires.

Do you have a link to any accident litigation out come regarding a LT or P tire used as a replacement tire on a trailer. I didn't think so.

There will be no litigation nor is it a misapplication from using LT or P tires on a trailer period unless the tires capacity didn't meet the axle load requirements.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Your tire dealer has coolaid with his breakfast, lunch and dinner! Chris

He also avoided any litigation stemming from a catastrophic accident caused by a misapplication of replacement tires.

FE

JusSayin
Explorer
Explorer
Reference: http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/Marathon_Special_Trailer_Applications.pdf

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your tire dealer has coolaid with his breakfast, lunch and dinner! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JusSayin
Explorer
Explorer
While shopping for a set of tires for my newly purchased Cedar Creek, a tire dealer recommended that I purchase 'ST' tires as they are manufactured specifically to better withstand the contortions encountered when the trailer - especially a 2 or 3 axle unit is cornering sharply or being twisted while backing. He advised me that 'LT' tires are designated for light trucks. Using them on any other type vehicle may void the warranty. Of course I've noticed that many trailers and 5th wheels are rolling with LT's without any visible ill effects. (Just Sayin')

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Winged One wrote:
I have 7k axles with 8 lug wheels.

I don't understand how having 7k axles matters. It just means they can handle that much weight correct? It doesn't mean the tires also have to handle that much weight does it?

That is, as long as I am only carrying 5.5k on each axle, the tires on that axle also only need to be able to carry 5.5k correct?

Or what am I missing?

Your not missing a thing.
There is no law that says you have to use a 3500 lb rated tire on 7k axles. Road side dot is the only law you need to be worried with. A LT E with 3042 lbs capacity will satisfy them and your 2750 lb per tire requirement. The LT E will give you a nice reserve.
I some times up size my equipment trailers axles when I purchase one new. I've upgraded to 7k axles for the bigger brakes several times when buying a new trailer (non RV). That way I can use LT235/85-16 E on those trailers.

I have never seen a recommendation for the General Grabber or the Dunlop Rover or the Bridgestone R265-5 rib or the R-500 for trailer use. However as long as the tire isn't a AT or MT type tread they may work.

Tire on the time of first retail sale are required to be "S10.3 The tires on each motor home and RV trailer at first retail sale must be the same size as the tire size on the labeling ...".

Now your free to use any tire you choose as long as it has the capacity for the load.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
invstr55 wrote:
Tires discussion is like TV discussion, some are looking for agreement that the bare minimum is enough ( I did this and got away with it ) and others that are concerned about doing all possible to avoid problems. I am in the later group, drive a dually and bought G rated tires.

Happy camping

Dan & Janice

I am curious why you would buy G tires for your truck?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question about running tires at max pressure when weight chart for weight being carried is 20-30 psi lower....It seems to me running at max pressure is like running solid rubber tires.....

invstr55
Explorer
Explorer
Tires discussion is like TV discussion, some are looking for agreement that the bare minimum is enough ( I did this and got away with it ) and others that are concerned about doing all possible to avoid problems. I am in the later group, drive a dually and bought G rated tires.

Happy camping

Dan & Janice
2015 DRV Fullhouse
2015 Breakout
2015 Spyder Limited
2015 F350hd Dually

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with BeerCan.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010