cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which pickup would you use to pull 25ft 13k FW?

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
If you had a 5th wheel with GVWR of around 13k, what class pickup truck would you use to pull it?

1/2t truck won't do it, this is a no brainer.

How about 3/4t truck? I think the pin weight will be challenged. I guess the safe choice is a 1t SRW truck? I think a dually is an overkill in this setup.

How about Diesel vs Gas for this FW?
29 REPLIES 29

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
A "actual 13000" lb 5th wheel trailer will have around 2600 lbs of pin weight and fits in a 250/2500 trucks range as a max.
A 350/3500 SRW would be a better choice.

I seriously doubt a 25' 5th wheel trailer will gross out at 13000 lbs. Even 10k would be a very heavy 25' trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Dully, 3500, diesel ... Get it right the first time and you'll never have regrets later. You can tow almost anything, and never have to worry about it if your future plans change.

I like the option to be able to tow anything, including large utility or construction trailers or even a pretty large boat if I wanted to. You just never know when someone may need your help.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that you should get first is a towing guide from each of the big three. Then you can educate yourself on towing needs, things like GVWR and axle weight ratings. Cargo capacity of various vehicles.

Then take what is written with a grain of salt, because Ford, GM and Dodge test their lightest trucks and give weights that a base model can carry. If you select a upgraded truck (most people who are not buying a fleet truck for a business pick one with upgrades) it might have 100 - 150 pounds of options. So the published tow ratings will be reduced by passenger weight, options, and anything you might want to carry such as a generator or firewood.

Fifth wheels can be very nose heavy, and yet some models can be nose light - depends on the manufacture, and where they place the fresh water tank. In the 90's it was popular to place the tanks all under the bathroom, and this causes the hitch weight to go way up on some models.

Some manufactures such as Glendale RV put the fresh water tanks between the axles, leading to several models with less than 2000 pound hitch weight. But that is rare, and Glendale did not survive the high gas prices of 2004 - 2008.

Trouble is that a manufacture can "Publish" a certain 'dry weight' and it can be way off from reality, yet the manufacture will not get in trouble with anyone, and can keep giving out un-realistic information. RIVA will not sanction them, or no government agency will stand up to them and say you are selling trailers without the proper weights published.

In the 80's Road Queen and other manufactures sold RV's that the empty curb weight was nearly as high as the GVWR. Road Queen even sold some models that where heavier than the GVWR when shipped from the factory, leaving no room to bring along camping gear, or passengers! With improved GVWR of vans in the 90's and 2000 model year, this is a thing of the past with motorhomes, and Cargo Carrying Capacity now must be published in motorhomes and must be "at least close to correct"

You asked about gas or diesel. That really depends on the yearly mileage. Do you plan on towing more than about 5,000 miles a year? You might want a diesel for that kind of yearly mileage, but the gas engine will be less expensive to buy and maintain at the 5,000 mile per year level. Around 15,000 miles a year towing then the diesel might be less expensive to maintain and buy fuel for it. However it will still be much more expensive to buy.

Some are willing to pay a lot more to buy a diesel and enjoy them. Personally my gas motorhome is great, will pass a DP on a steep mountain grade, and I like the ability to do a oil change for about $50. Not the 35 quarts that my buddy has to use in his. . . My motorhome has a 17,000 GVWR and was 16,500 pounds while on a 2 week trip with full water and fuel. His has a 28,000 GVWR, and I have no idea what the actual weight is. However it is higher than mine, and does not go up the mountains any faster than mine. I drove both, and both are fun to drive, handle winds equally well, and road imperfections are better in the Country Coach. But I don't know about filling that 120 gallon diesel tank! He seems to get around 9 mpg, 1 better than my gas motorhome. But I bought mine for 20% of his MSRP.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
A properly geared 1 ton gasser would do it but if you can afford the extra $8-$9000 (new) then go for the diesel.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if it was a typo and the OP has a 35' trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
My 25 ft 5th wheel weighs 4700 lbs empty....would have to carry a lot of******to get it up to 13,000

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
That would be very heavy for a 25 footer. Have you weighed it?
Puma 30RKSS

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Having pulled a 13K FW with both gas and diesel TVs, I would throw my vote towards the 350/3500 diesel SRW for this choice. The torque and HP from the diesel nice to have.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming a 20% pin weight, my F250 would be over its GVWR but under its RAWR. But I agree, a one ton SRW would be a better choice.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Acei wrote:
Which pickup would you use to pull 25ft 13k FW?

I will always say skip the 3/4 and go minimum 350/3500 SRW with a fifth wheel.
But then 25' 13k seems out of balance. 8200 GVWR F150 should pull most 25' fifth wheels just fine.

I would try to go gas as diesel seems too complex (expensive) lately.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Whats the dry weight of the 5th. And how much do you plan to put in it. GVW is meaningless. You could have a 9000lb 5th with 4000lbs of CCC. You need to find out the loaded weight and then figure 20% for pin. Work that number against you trucks payload or RAWR.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
My 5er has a 13,500 lb gross rating. It's right at the towing weight limit for my dually gasser. It would be over if I had the standard 3.73 gears. Pin weight is no problem even with a 80 gal aux tank. It pull great.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Our Chevy 3500HD is a diesel DRW.
Our 5r is ~13k gross and 33', but she has a heavy pin weight of ~25%>.
Better to have too much truck than not enough.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Diesel 3500 SRW and my 5vr is 34' 14K + GVWR

I am right at RAWR/Tires cause I run heavy (13,830#)

Absolutely smooth matched set up. 70,000 miles of towing it FT
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel dulley. You have to worry about pushing rated limits and for future upgrade trailer.