cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why only one bed in a fifth wheel and why sooo tall?

sheripoms
Explorer
Explorer
I see that everyone loves fifth wheels but I have some reservations about them compared to TT and Class C and A.
Why is it that the majority of them only have one bed? It's huge, so why not put another bed in it somewhere?

Also, have fifth wheels gotten taller in the last 6 years? It sure seems so! I walked into one and it was like a double decker bus! Why the added height? Seems like a waste of space for the ceiling to be soooo tall.
I do understand that they are easier to pull than a TT but for 35 feet of space and only sleep 2 to 4 people maybe seems odd. But maybe thats just me.
43 REPLIES 43

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
A good 5th wheel, six for cocktails, four for dinner, sleeps two.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Napria
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous fiver was a mid profile bunkhouse that had two beds that we had residential twin size mattresses in, in addition to our Queen size bed in the master bedroom.

We LOVE the spaciousness of our present model. And in addition to the king size master bed we have two Queen size pullout couches that our teenager like better than the bunks. Though they did like the bunks when they were younger.
2014 Montana 3850FL
2005 Ameri-Camp F321QBS (Sold)
2004 Chevy 3500 crew cab long bed one ton with Alison
18K Reese Signature
Prodigy

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5th wheel is just over 13 ft tall, hitched to the truck. Which is great for me as I like to be able to stand up at the foot of the upper bed in the morning to get dressed. I am 6" 4' tall and it works great for me. We have a queen bed up, the sofa makes a queen, very uncomfortable so great for sleeping guests (they leave after a night or two at the most) LOL and a set of bunks in a slide out room. Just perfect for our 9 and 11 year old grandsons when they go with us. Most trips when it is just the wife and I, we use out truck camper, especially for long trips or when we want to tow our Jeep with us to run the mountain trails. This combo works for us at this stage of our lives. In the past, Class As have worked best, a couple of Class Cs (with bunks) when our daughters were young, a popup when $$$ were a bit short, a couple of 5th wheels for destination camping. For living space for the most bang for the buck, a 5th wheel is hard to beat for most people. I see full timers parked for 6 months at a time in a half million dollar Class A, never turning a wheel and it makes me wonder if they wouldn't be happier in a trailer if all they are going to do is park.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
GregK wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:

Used to puzzle me, too, but several years of membership on Forums like this one have led me to the following conclusion/explanation...for what it's worth:

In my opinion, fifth wheels are taller now because they're designed for old folks. Old folks don't like crawling into bed or breaking down a table to sleep, instead preferring sleeping accommodations that they can walk around and leave set up all the time. And which accommodations don't interfere with the La-z-boy/TV setup in the "living room". That's the plain conclusion I've arrived at after two years of research into the ideal rig for us to go tour the Country in.

The divide seems so apparent to me that it's become a bit of a "thing" with us- somehow, becoming a fifth wheel owner is synonymous with giving in to old age. In much the same way that we cling to our low chairs as proof that our knees still work as well as they ever did, my Husband and I have decided that whatever rig we choose it will not be a fifth wheel.

P.S.

At 67(H) and 62(W) respectively, we are by every other definition OLD!

I'm going to have to disagree here. Everyone I know that has purchased a fifth wheel, myself included, did so because of the way they pull. Handling, comfort and ease of maneuverability are very much different than a pull behind trailer. I'm mid 40's and most of my friends with fivers range from mid 30's to 50's.

I fit in your group, we will own nothing but a fifth wheel.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
sheripoms wrote:

Also, have fifth wheels gotten taller in the last 6 years? It sure seems so! I walked into one and it was like a double decker bus! Why the added height? Seems like a waste of space for the ceiling to be soooo tall.

They have gotten ridiculously tall over the years, haven't they?

Used to puzzle me, too, but several years of membership on Forums like this one have led me to the following conclusion/explanation...for what it's worth:

In my opinion, fifth wheels are taller now because they're designed for old folks. Old folks don't like crawling into bed or breaking down a table to sleep, instead preferring sleeping accommodations that they can walk around and leave set up all the time. And which accommodations don't interfere with the La-z-boy/TV setup in the "living room". That's the plain conclusion I've arrived at after two years of research into the ideal rig for us to go tour the Country in.

The divide seems so apparent to me that it's become a bit of a "thing" with us- somehow, becoming a fifth wheel owner is synonymous with giving in to old age. In much the same way that we cling to our low chairs as proof that our knees still work as well as they ever did, my Husband and I have decided that whatever rig we choose it WILL NOT BE A FIFTH WHEEL.

P.S.

So quit posting here then!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
I personally like the height. As far as multiple beds, a google search will bring up many models here is one: Clicky
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
We even took the hide a bed out of ours. Motels just down the street.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

jsiemers
Explorer
Explorer
Told my kids: The reason the fifth wheel only sleeps 4 is because they don't make one that only sleeps 2.
Jim, Diane
2002 Chev 2500HD DMAX 4X4 LT Ext Cab Short Bed Firestone Air bags
2015 Montana High Country 343RL, Trail Air Hitch,Prodigy3, Husky 16K Double Pivot with Power Roller

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
Our fiver can sleep up to 10 people. We have three queen size beds; two in separate bedrooms (one is a sleeper sofa) and the living area sofa sleeper, then we have the diner which also turns into a bed and the loft above the rear bed. We like the tall ceilings - ours is the same height all the way to the rear, it does not slope down, which allows space for the rear loft.
The height also makes it feel more spacious, and the additional high windows above the living area is nice.
We like having the separate bedroom for the teenagers or guests. Overall it's spacious, and it tows very nicely.
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

easycamper
Explorer
Explorer
Is that Shadow Cruiser still in production?

There used to be many more choices in low profile models but they have disappeared, reflecting consumer preferences. The Scamp and Escape are rather small.

We have a fifth wheel because of the way it tows. Climbing into bed is not that big a deal to us.
2015 F-150 5.0L SuperCab 4WD 3.55
2013 Springdale 253FWRLLS
People like to make generalizations.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Grandson (age 11) and the Mother-in-Law (age 95) both think the sleeper sofa is fine.

Why would I want to waste limited interior space on any other sleeping locations?
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
"somehow, becoming a fifth wheel owner is synonymous with giving in to old age."

Don't knock growing into old age. Not everyone is lucky enough to join our club.

I like the "6 for cocktails,4 for dinner,2 for sleeping"description,fits us just right!
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Dog Folks wrote:
If you want a low profile 5th Wheel, look at Shadow Cruisers here: Shadow Cruiser

Only if you're young, or very spry. We got tired of crawling around that front bed real quick, in our Komfort. Now, DW's getting older and a bit claustrophobic, and won't even sleep in the bed most nights, preferring the couch. Looking at a new FW when the finances are better.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
GregK wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:

The divide seems so apparent to me that it's become a bit of a "thing" with us- somehow, becoming a fifth wheel owner is synonymous with giving in to old age. In much the same way that we cling to our low chairs as proof that our knees still work as well as they ever did, my Husband and I have decided that whatever rig we choose it will not be a fifth wheel.

P.S.

I'm going to have to disagree here. Everyone I know that has purchased a fifth wheel, myself included, did so because of the way they pull. Handling, comfort and ease of maneuverability are very much different than a pull behind trailer. I'm mid 40's and most of my friends with fivers range from mid 30's to 50's.

Well interesting statement for one that has fiver on a seasonal site. Yes I agree that ease of towing is the biggest factor, but there is also SPACE, and room for full timers to have more than a couple changes of cloths. We have an 8' closet across the front, and a good sized basement.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"