cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter camping

kay-shane
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if any of you go camping in the winter around the Midwest where it's colder. I've got the urge to hook up and head out this weekend. Weather says 40's and 50's.
22 REPLIES 22

mystikalkat
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me if all Carriage 5th RV's 1999 to 2015 have enclosed heat underbelly and heated tanks?
Specifically the 2011 Carriage Cabo 341?

ike66
Explorer
Explorer
This was the first of March at Mueller State Park Co. 50 deg in the day down in the 20's at night. Left the antifreeze in brought water and a bucket to wash dishes in. Works for a quick weekend.
Lon & Laura
Along with Captain (yellow lab) and Morgan (golden retriever)

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
22F here this morning in central Ohio. Great weekend to go camping. Arrived yesterday with a high of 35 degrees. Perfect camping weather! Go for it!

Hot and cold running water and a flush toilet with water from the fresh tank. Will rewinterize before leaving Sunday. Takes approx 1 1/2 gallons of antifreeze. Small expense to have all the comforts of home. :B
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
I havent camped in the mid-west in cooler temps, but I have camped here in the northwest in 16-18 degree weather... during hunting season it gets pretty chilly in the central and eastern part of oregon.

a balmy 40-50 degrees is good atv riding weather here as the trails arent dusty.. and if we didnt camp in the cool weather here, we would only have about 5 months of camping per year, and that isnt enough. rain... sometimes its a part of the "real" camping experience...
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
By the way... If you are winterized and don't want to undo it for a quick trip, just flush with the pink stuff. Doesn't hurt a thing.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm not in the midwest, but I camp all year round here in Texas. I try to go at least twice a month. I don't cancel my plans for bad weather. I have camped comfortably in temperatures between 13 and 109 degrees. Camping is camping. Have fun!
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
At 40 f there is no need to do anything other than make sure the propane tanks are full, and the battery bank fully charged. The rest of the systems will work essentially the same way they do at 70 f.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We also really like to camp in the "cooler" weather of late fall and early winter - when the temps are in the 30s and 40s during the day and down into the 20s at night.

If we have already winterized, we will unwinterize when we get on-site and then winterize again before we leave the campground. I want the water for the toilet and the kitchen sink, but we will normally use the bath house for showers.

We make sure that we unhook the hose from the spigot in late evening (we keep a couple gallons of flushing water in the bathroom) and we hook the water back up in the mornings when the sun hits the spigot and/or it gets above freezing.

A big fire in the evenings with friends is wonderful, but I usually have a blanket as well as a jacket and hat, maybe even gloves.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
Wow, April 1 for water... In lower Michigan they wait until Memorial day. In the UP I've been to State Parks that still have the water off and dump station plowed shut in June.

Thats because in the UP there are two seasons, winter and the 4th of July. I was in Marquette a couple years ago and right before Memorial I woke up to 2 inches of snow on my car...It was in the 70s where I live the day before. ๐Ÿ˜„

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
kay-shane wrote:
Thanks everyone, we won't dewinterize camper yet. Would take water with us to flush toilet and if need to use sink and will have antifreeze to put back in tanks. The more I read on here the more I want to go.

Where would you be camping, in Illinois or somewheres south?

Do you have a maceration pump to dump your tank, or are Illinois dump stations open year round?

All the ones near my winter camping spots in Northern Michigan are locked out or plowed shut right now.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We love to โ€œwinter campโ€..... but rarely is it โ€œthatโ€ warm!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
kay-shane wrote:
.... The more I read on here the more I want to go.

Winter camping IS invigorating! It's not for everyone, but those of us who do ... love it!

kay-shane
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, we won't dewinterize camper yet. Would take water with us to flush toilet and if need to use sink and will have antifreeze to put back in tanks. The more I read on here the more I want to go.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
We love to winter camp while still winterized. We find parks that still have their bath facilities open and heated, and use that for personal needs. Otherwise we have heat, TV, and our own bed. We even cook with paper plates, ect... so we don't have dishes.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad