cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing --- Antifreeze or blow'em out??

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Cougar 318 and in the past have always used the R/V Antifreeze in the unit. I have a compressor which can be dialed back for a reduced pressure. Do I run the risk of leaving small pockets of water in the lines or does this method do the job? I plan do drain everything before I use the air.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started
30 REPLIES 30

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say it depends on how long your camping season is going to last...My 5er is in WVa right now on our property...plan on one last camping outing from Nov. 22 though Nov. thru Nov 30th. So this past weekend before we left, I blew out all the lines, drained low water points, drained and bypassed the hot water heater, emptied all the tanks and poured antifreeze down all the traps....When we get home with 5er end of November, all tanks will have been drained and I will run antifreeze through the lines. I've done it both way's over the years and never had an issue and 5er has been in temps. below zero when "winterized" and I've never had an issue with leaking or busted hoses...If one blows all air out of the lines, I don't think there is an issue...just got to know you've gotten all air out..(I run about 40psi through the lines when blowing water out.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
North Carolina - blow out and add pink to the drains.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We blow ours out and add pink stuff to the drains. Of course we don't get the long hard freezes here in Alabama but we do freeze up occasionally. We also camp year round so having to clear pink stuff every month would be a pita. Happy camping
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Both as you can never get all the water out with air. Just did mine only takes about 15 minutes total.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
lpxguy wrote:
do both, why risk it?

yep, makes sense to me. If it takes more than 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of the pink stuff, you are doing it wrong so that is what $5.98?
bumpy

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
do both, why risk it?
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

Gypsy_Soul1
Explorer
Explorer
Well this year I just blew out lines and added juice to traps/tanks. For some reason my water pump isn't working and had to get it in the new seasonal spot before they closed this year. Past years I blew lines and put juice in. In about 2 years I won't have to worry about it. Will be full-time :B

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A couple years ago I started just blowing out the lines and adding pink to the traps.

I've had no problems with our south central Pennsylvania winters freezing and damaging anything.

allimax
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to blow, be sure to dump some antifreeze down the sink and tub to protect the traps from any standing water.
2010 Montana 3455SA
Mor/Ride kingpin, wet bolts, Progressive Ind. HW-50C EMS,TST 507RV TPMS, GY G614's
'07.5 Silverado D/A LMM 3500HD
Extended Cab DRW 4x4 LTZ
Bilstein, Reese R20, Banks Economind tuner, Speedbrake, RamAir, Monster exhaust

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I blew out the lines once and had to replace some water lines since all the water never came out. so now I blow the water out and add AF. never had any frozen lines since. some guys refuse to blow out the lines since many compressors have rust and water in the air tank and they don't want to get that stuff in the fresh water lines. they just add AF until it comes out the faucets and the toilet.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Location, location, location

Long cold winters.....drain, blow, pump anti-freeze

Mild winters.........drain, blow

Easy winters.........drain
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drain, flush with pink, then drain again. It makes it much easier to flush and use the water and reuse the antifreeze that I caught from the second drain. That way id we get a warm weekend it is much easier to go and redo.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I've done both. On rigs that didn't have bypass-valves and low-point drains I blew it out.
On rigs with bypass-valves and low-point drains I use the pink stuff.

I could see doing both, but then blowing out the pink-stuff just seems silly to me.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't live in a particularly cold climate. I drain the tanks and hot water heater, flush with anti freeze and call it a day. No problems so far, any water left in the system has plenty of room to expand without causing any damage.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I blow, add pink, and blow a 2nd time.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.