cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

winterizing our new 5th wheel

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to all from Denny and Ida, It`s time to put our baby to bed for the winter but I have a few questions on our 5th wheel. I want to put antifreeze in all the water lines for the winter but I think I saw some place not to put it in the fresh water tank. This doesn`t make any sense to me because that is the only way I can winterize all lines through the water pump. Did I see that right or do I get a new pair of glasses. We will be storing her in a large pole barn and a want to keep the mice out of her but I don`t want to use moth balls. Any suggestions? By the way , she is a 2015 Keystone Outback 296frs. thank you for any help, Denny and Ida
20 REPLIES 20

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
The water pump needs the pick stuff too
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

face_down
Explorer
Explorer
Rick MC wrote:
Hi Denny
I don't use anti freeze. I hook up a compressor open all the valves faucets, and water heater and use air until all the water is blown out. I drain the fresh water tank. I have been doing this since my 5'ver is new never a problem.

X2

This is all I use...while I do not live in a frozen tundra, it does get and stays below freezing sometimes in the Carolina's and I have never had a problem. If there is no H20 in the system, there is nothing to freeze and expand to do any damage.

2016 Keystone Carbon 357
2006 Ford F350 4X4 CC/LB/DRW (aka Big Sexy)
Reese 20K Goose Box - Draw-Tite Remove-a-Ball

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
dapperdan wrote:
Dutchman did an EXCELLENT job of showing you how winterizing is done!! Look for your water heater bypass and follow Dutch's instructions, you can't miss!

As for the mice, we use dryer sheets, a whole box (small) strewn ALL over the interior of our coach. We have stored ours in a pole barn as well, I get some D Con boxes and place them around the outside on the floor of the trailer. So far NO mice doing it that way.

Good luck winterizing, if you can get somebody in the know to give you a hand, there won't be any surprises next spring then.

Dan
Dryer sheets do nothing more than give the mice something to build a nest with. If you don't have a mouse problem they work fine.....The ONLY way to deal with mice is to seal any openings they can in through, set traps, use poison or get a cat. Only sure fire ways to eliminate them. Period.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:
I take the coiled hose that came with the rv and connected it from the outside tap to the city inlet, make sure that its not set to fill the tank.

Good idea. I did that with the black spray port. Why didn't I think of that for the city water hookup :S

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
I take the coiled hose that came with the rv and connected it from the outside tap to the city inlet, make sure that its not set to fill the tank.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get antifreeze in the city connection hookup? I think I will be using a combo of both methods (blow and pink).

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning to all from Denny and Ida, Just wanted to thank all of you good people for the wonderful advice on winterizing our camper and a big thank you to Dutch for the wonderful pics of his set up. "NICE JOB" We have one more weekend of camping coming up and then I can get her ready. THANKS AGAIN Denny and Ida

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use potable (rv) antifreeze on our camper and toy hauler.

Do not get it in your fresh tank or hot water tank.

After running it through the lines (as in the excellent photo post above) I open the low point drains and catch the amount that will drain and put it down the sink, shower and toilet drains. I like to have a gallon or so in each of the tanks - maybe helps the drain valves from drying and sticking.

To un-winterize ( de-winterize?) - you need to flush each and every line and fixture, including the low point drains. If you start running water past a dead end line that has anti-freeze residue in it like an outside shower or low point drain that is T'd off the main line, the fresh water will keep picking up a bit of antifreeze for days. I try to do the flushing and sanitizing operation at the same time.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:
Nice write up & pics Dutch! Gotta be one of the best I've seen yet.

X3. Not until I read this post and one post about the sewer flusher line, I never gave that line a thought in 10 years of ownership. I may go overboard w/ total amount of anti-freeze, but after I run it thru the lines and all, I also pour 1/3-1/2 bottle down the kit sink, bath sink, shower and toilet just to make sure it's in the traps or in case of black tank, in tank itself down to valve.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

RangerEZ
Explorer
Explorer
Just popping in to say thanks Dutch. One of the best I've seen. Love this forum! ๐Ÿ™‚
GMC 2500 HD Duramax
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
2015 Wildcat Trail Limited & 2015 Brute Force 300

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchman did an EXCELLENT job of showing you how winterizing is done!! Look for your water heater bypass and follow Dutch's instructions, you can't miss!

As for the mice, we use dryer sheets, a whole box (small) strewn ALL over the interior of our coach. We have stored ours in a pole barn as well, I get some D Con boxes and place them around the outside on the floor of the trailer. So far NO mice doing it that way.

Good luck winterizing, if you can get somebody in the know to give you a hand, there won't be any surprises next spring then.

Dan

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:
Nice write up & pics Dutch! Gotta be one of the best I've seen yet.

X2! Great write-up

Have not read the whole thread, but do not forget outside showers and washer hook-ups. Also open the check valve on your city water connection to flow anti-freeze through that line.

Hint - don't stand in front of the inlet and poke the check valve with a screw driver while it is pressurized! Don't Ask.:S
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
therink wrote:
Don't forget to run punk stuff into the back water flusher if you have one. You can also blow it out with air. If you don't the check valve will likely freeze and crack.

CR-AP!!! I have never had one of these until my newest rig. Glad you mentioned it because I need to go blow that line out!!

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to run pink stuff into the black water flusher if you have one. You can also blow it out with air. If you don't the check valve will likely freeze and crack.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.