cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Timing Married Couple in the Back Yard

ButchandBri
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to this - RV's. About a month ago purchased an '04 R Vision Travel Lite, 27 foot. My daughter and her fiance' will be married in May and will live full time in our back yard for about 3 years. They plan to work as RN's, save money and then put down on a home. We like the idea, and we certainly don't mind helping them out their first few years.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm glad I found this forum - tons of info here!
22 REPLIES 22

ButchandBri
Explorer
Explorer
Campigloo, it's not hooked up to a permanent septic system, but we do empty it routinely.

galtgirl, that really sounds like an awesome opportunity for nurses that live travel. I'll mention that to them - thanks!

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome that you are helping them out. Good luck to all of you.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

galtgirl
Explorer
Explorer
Slightly off topic, but since they are both RN's, they should consider travel nursing. You can make a ton of money and literally all your living expenses are covered by your contract. They should buy a tow vehicle and live in the RV when working on the road. It's a great way for a young couple to see the country and be able to save a lot of money toward the purchase of a permanent home. Just sayin!!!
John and Carol Beckman
USN SKC RET (him) RN (her)
Lola & Ava the French Bulldogs
Sacramento, CA

2015 Heartland Bighorn
2017 Silverado 3500 HD High Country

bjcarpetguy
Explorer
Explorer
We had issues a couple years back. We were staying at my DW's Uncles and got a letter from county it was a no no. We figured the reason was they had another family member here the year before and caused all kinds of problems including law
enforcement on a regular basis.

Came back last year and we parked in back yard for 6months no issues. Are here again and have been parked on the side of their home since April with no problem.
However that might be because I remodeled their home inside and out.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a playhouse in the backyard to me 🙂
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
They'll be fulltiming in the house.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ButchandBri
Explorer
Explorer
We did our research and can't find anything on zoning regarding RV's for our area, other than for people that live in gated communities with HOA rules.

The TT is in the back yard. If there are any that want to start trouble, they'd have to search it out. Although I say the couple will be full timing, technically they are not, because as stated before, they are in the house 90% of the time. The TT will be for sleeping over night and a good place for their nursing studies. What is true is the TT is hooked up to well water and electricity. In that sense, the TT itself is full timing.

Thank you for the welcome, the encouragement and advice. All graciously accepted 🙂

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty common where I live. We are on a riverbank out in the country, so travel trailers and motor homes are set up on the banks in private yards like ours as well as in small mom and pop campgrounds & river lots. No one seems to be keeping score on the number of overnights.

I have a neighbor who inherited a small house, set his elderly mother up in the house, and he is in the driveway in a TT. They each have their own "space", yet he can keep an eye on her to make sure she is ok.

DD lives 2 hours away and also out in the country. I bought my TT with an eye towards a permanent setup down the road in my daughter's yard once I retire, so I can have my house here and a place to stay there for extended visits.

Good for the OP to help out his kids.
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

LewBob
Explorer
Explorer
There are pluses and minuses to zoning regulations. But I, for one, relish living in a rural area with no zoning ordinances/restrictions whatsoever. Some do take advantage of the situation, but I don't think I could relocate to an area where to powers that be would impose their standards on my lifestyle.

Welcome to the forum, ButchandBri. I hope your plans work out just fine for you and the newlyweds to be.

Lew

2015 Casita Freedom Deluxe
2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." --Bob Seger (Against the Wind)

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
We had friends of ours live in our back yard for 6 months after they sold their house and built a new one. I wired an outlet for them to plug in, a garden hose from house and we tied the sewer into a clean out on the outside of the house. We hooked up a garden hose to the grey water and dumped that on the 3 apple trees in the back yard (best growth ever that summer), Good luck proving that anyone is living in the camper. Sometimes people act like this is not a free country anymore. When we lived in town ours sat hooked up all the time and company stayed in it all the time with no issues,as long as it is not on blocks with pink flamingos in the yard! And for the rest of you I think the OP has gotten the point of the county and zoning!
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
louiskathy wrote:
ButchandBri wrote:
All is well, thank you, rvten! 🙂

The couple will use facilities in the house in effort to not be constantly emptying the gray and black water tanks. The TT is hooked up to well water too, not city.

They like hanging out with the folks, so they'll be in the house 90% of the time.

I'm reading that you are parked out in the country... you're on a well. So zoning might not be an issue. Enough of that.

Thanks for the intro and Welcome!

When we had a sticks and bricks (house) hubby put a macerator on the MH so we could dump our tanks at home... but you don't have to mount it on the rig. It can just be a device that pumps the gray/black tanks through a smaller hose or even a garden house (some up to 200 feet or more) into the sewer. If you have a well... maybe you have a septic system with a clean out that you can use to dump your tanks. (Just don't overload the septic system)

Coming into the house to use the facilities is only going to be fun for so long...
Um we live in the country.....no city zoning, but the COUNTY supposedly won't let us do what OPer wants to do. However, people DO do it. I talked to the county and found out they won't actively search out homes that have an RV being lived in, but if a neighbor reports you, you're in deep trouble. 🙂 So BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR....LOL

Yup x2.

If you have a hose running to it that's all it takes for a neighbor or passerby to call it in. I've known local police cruising by to call it in also. IMHO park it a place that is NOT visible to the road or neighbors. Good Luck.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
louiskathy wrote:
ButchandBri wrote:
All is well, thank you, rvten! 🙂

The couple will use facilities in the house in effort to not be constantly emptying the gray and black water tanks. The TT is hooked up to well water too, not city.

They like hanging out with the folks, so they'll be in the house 90% of the time.

I'm reading that you are parked out in the country... you're on a well. So zoning might not be an issue. Enough of that.

Thanks for the intro and Welcome!

When we had a sticks and bricks (house) hubby put a macerator on the MH so we could dump our tanks at home... but you don't have to mount it on the rig. It can just be a device that pumps the gray/black tanks through a smaller hose or even a garden house (some up to 200 feet or more) into the sewer. If you have a well... maybe you have a septic system with a clean out that you can use to dump your tanks. (Just don't overload the septic system)

Coming into the house to use the facilities is only going to be fun for so long...
Um we live in the country.....no city zoning, but the COUNTY supposedly won't let us do what OPer wants to do. However, people DO do it. I talked to the county and found out they won't actively search out homes that have an RV being lived in, but if a neighbor reports you, you're in deep trouble. 🙂 So BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR....LOL
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
We have an area in the back yard which we specifically arranged to store our boat, and now, our MH. It is inside a fence and shielded from the public by a tall hedge. No one would know anyone was in it. When we repaired the sewer line to the house, we installed two clean outs into which we could drain the boat or MH tanks. When we had people staying with us for a while, we could use the MH as a guest house, with all the facilities they needed. Not sure the zoning people would approve, but they never knew about it. The grey and black waste was going into the same place, anyway. The right buyer for our house will find this arrangement attractive.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this works well for you. One thing that came to mind is the black tank. Don't make the mistake of leaving the valve open for three years. Keep it closed and dump periodically. It will prevent build up in the tank.