cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

full timing

majortwo
Explorer
Explorer
while full timing how long to most of you stay in one place?

how much does it cost most of you per month to full time?

how do you go about choosing where you stay?

i know this may be a touchy subject and i'm really only asking for ballpark figures. many thanks to all who feel comfortable answering.
19 REPLIES 19

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
majortwo wrote:
thanks guys, that info really helps a lot.
you know what they say, he who fails to plan, plans to fail.

Part of your plan should be an 'Exit Plan' for IF you should have to stop FT, for what ever reason.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently posted a blog about how to use other people's fulltiming budgets. It might be helpful to you.
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

majortwo
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys, that info really helps a lot.
you know what they say, he who fails to plan, plans to fail.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your annual budget might be more or less than ours.....figure about 1500-2000/yr for full timer insurance, another 1k for licensing, moho and toad and about $4k for maintenance...if you don't use all of it, bank it for the next year etc.......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We FT for 7 yrs.
Rarely stayed any place more than 2 weeks (we hit the road to travel)

We traveled secondary/back roads as much as possible to SEE/Experience small town USA

We used membership(s) Coast-To-Coast $10/night (bought really really cheap via Resale) & Passport America 50% off daily rate.
We also used city parks, Corp Of Engineer (COE), fairgrounds, public rv parks and boondocked.
We break camp at 10 am and are setting up by 2:30 pm each travel day.
Which campground......C2C directory, RV Park Reviews, drive by---that looks good.

We traveled on a budget of 2K/month cause we are debt free.

We had a full timers ins. policy (Same type/coverage we had on house) with National Interstate ($1500/yr.....5vr and truck. Low deductible/high coverage PLUS)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
C Duck wrote:
Also, you might want to look at RV-Dreams.com

Yep - they have a budget section that shows monthly costs for low/medium/high budgets. We've spent from $1200 a month to $12000 (there was a remodel in there somewhere ;-))

How long in one place? We've stayed as little as overnight and as long as 4 months. Typically we stay 2 weeks to a month at one location.

How much does it cost? You can spend as much or as little as you have. From boondocking in Quartzsite for nothing to $1200 a month resort site.

How do you go about choosing where you stay? We usually have a general idea of where we are going ๐Ÿ˜‰ and use rvparkreviews.com and reservaamerica to decide where to stay.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are in our completing our 3rd year of full-timing and keep our costs down by working (mostly volunteer) at parks for site and utilities. We travel for a couple of months in between assignments. This winter we took a break and I have worked outside the campground at a paying job. We belong to Passport America also and have spent the winter at the gulf at a park that has no time limitation (unusual) and we pay $360 month that includes our electric and is a FHU site. You will find a wide variety of prices depending on the type of park you are staying in and where it is located.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I started full timing 3 1/2 years ago. My costs are:

Home base lot: $75.00/month, plus electricity that averages $36.00/month over a year average. My lot is owned by my brother in law and is in a very small town in a residential area. Water/sewer/garbage is another $60.00/month. I would encourage anyone to look outside established campgrounds if you are looking for a less expensive place to "call home".

I have an external propane tank, 150 gallon, that I use for heat in the winter. Propane usage this past winter was worse than normal because of the very cold periods we had during January and February, but it is cheaper and a whole lot easier using this large tank than the 30 lb tanks in my 5'er.

I also have high speed internet here on my home base and it is $38.00/month except during the summer months when I put it on vacation hold.

During the summer I volunteer at a state park in Florida which is why my monthly electricity average is so low. I do leave my electricity on at my home base when I'm not here because the minimum bill is $15.45/month and they charge $50.00 to turn it back on and I must be here when they turn it back on so it can't be working when I arrive. It costs me about $10.00 extra to leave it one when I'm gone, but a lot more convenient for me.

Insurance approx $800.00/year for the 5'er. I don't remember what my pickup insurance is, but I would have it even if I wasn't RV'ing so I don't count that.

I do have a cell phone, but no home phone so there isn't much difference here.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
majortwo wrote:

Fifth year full timing...first year we rarely spent more than four days at a park. Last year our average stay was 7 as many parks offer buy 6 get 7. Depends on where you are and what there is to see and do in the area. We like to spend two weeks in the north part of the State, two in the south and two in the middle. We rarely travel more than 3 hours between campgrounds and do not use the Interstates.

We average about $3-4k/ month which includes food/fuel/lodging. We don't eat out much and choose our CGs wisely.

We belong to GS, Passport America, Thousand Trails and RPI. Selecting a campground is a personal choice. We don't do too much boondocking and have never stayed at a WalMart. We prefer full hookups including sewer. YMMV....

i know this may be a touchy subject and i'm really only asking for ballpark figures. many thanks to all who feel comfortable answering.

Good answer, but could I ask what your yearly costs are? Such as, including any insurance and maintenance to the 3 - 4k? I've read your blog and have enjoyed it, but others show annual budgets, would you be willing to share this? DW and I are going FT in 2yrs and we're working hard at reviewing a number of others budgets to get a feel for what our cost could be on the road.

-paul

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

As a general rule we take advantage of the weekly rate but may stay longer see and take in things in the area and then we move on. We move during the middle of the week which means we don't have to deal with the weekend campers. We travel between 10:00am and 4:00pm which means we don't usualy travel very far. Early stops gives us easy checkin to a good site.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

majortwo
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Executive, you rock...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
majortwo wrote:

Fifth year full timing...first year we rarely spent more than four days at a park. Last year our average stay was 7 as many parks offer buy 6 get 7. Depends on where you are and what there is to see and do in the area. We like to spend two weeks in the north part of the State, two in the south and two in the middle. We rarely travel more than 3 hours between campgrounds and do not use the Interstates.

We average about $3-4k/ month which includes food/fuel/lodging. We don't eat out much and choose our CGs wisely.

We belong to GS, Passport America, Thousand Trails and RPI. Selecting a campground is a personal choice. We don't do too much boondocking and have never stayed at a WalMart. We prefer full hookups including sewer. YMMV....

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150