cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Sam Insurance or other

dbob62180
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to hear from other full timers about insurance. We are looking for the best deal for our new truck and 5th wheel. Our current policy is very expensive!
10 REPLIES 10

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have National Interstate for both my truck and fiver. Got it through Miller's Insurance in Oregon.

Wherever you get it, make sure to state you are a full timer. It makes a difference.

Monty-Rob
Explorer
Explorer
We switched to GEICO a year go.
Call them to get info and a quote only takes a few moments of your time
2014 Lifestyle 37CKLS (Sold January 2018)
2008 Ford F-450 Lariat (Sold January 2018)
2012 Started fulltiming on February 1st (stopped fulltiming December 21, 2017)

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome wrote:
As full timers we had Gieco. Treated us very well and excellent rates. Last roadservice call they towed us from Boron, CA to Tolleson, AZ roughly 400 miles at no cost to me. They did this, after about an hour on the phone and them making calls, because they felt this was the best shop and location for our needs both mechanical and personal. They offered to tow it to or house which was about 60 miles further.

I agree and also have Geico on my TT as well as my home, boat and cars... Their RV policy puts Good Sam to shame as far as features and $ limits and deductibles and cost even less than GS.. Check them out!.. They have extensive coverage and benefits on their RV policy!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

bluegypsy
Explorer
Explorer
We use National Interstate also. We've been with them since we bought the rig new in 2008. It's renewal is a little more expensive than other quotes (we check every year), but since we've been with them since day 1, we continue coverage for "full cost replacement" meaning that if the MH is a total loss, we get the original cost of the rig, not a depreciated value. Can't seem to keep that part of the coverage if we move to a new insurer.
Bluegypsy (that's the RV's name)

Map shows where we've lived and worked, travelling through doesn't count....

dbob62180
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to the people who gave helpful ideas. I did not need a lecture about what insurance is and how the rate is figured. Being of retirement age, we have had many policies over the years. We posted this query to just hear about others experiences as FTers. Thanks again.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
dbob62180 wrote:
I would love to hear from other full timers about insurance. We are looking for the best deal for our new truck and 5th wheel. Our current policy is very expensive!

Go to this website: Insure.com

It has rankings of the states by average insurance costs. My truck insurance was cut in HALF when I moved my address from North Dakota to South Dakota.

While companies will differ in costs by person, they will all be about the same based on the State you are in and what the state laws are regarding driving. They also claim that if their claims for the previous year are too high for a given state they will raise existing customers premiums.

The best thing to do is get online and get quotes from at least five different companies.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance policies are geared only for YOU. Everyone has a different background so what may work for one person may not work for you. Rates are based on many things including your age, driving history, credit report, etc. The best thing is to just start calling companies.

We used National Interstate through Miller Insurance, Oregon. Previously, Progressive. You need a full-timer's policy to cover your belongings.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
We use Allied Insurance for the rig and USAA for our truck. Make sure you are very specific when getting quotes because many do not insure full-timers.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
As full timers we had Gieco. Treated us very well and excellent rates. Last roadservice call they towed us from Boron, CA to Tolleson, AZ roughly 400 miles at no cost to me. They did this, after about an hour on the phone and them making calls, because they felt this was the best shop and location for our needs both mechanical and personal. They offered to tow it to or house which was about 60 miles further.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a full-timer but my Farmer's agent takes great care of all of our needs. The last time we met with him he increased our coverage and reduced our premiums on our TH. Doesn't get much better than that.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE