cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home ownership by default

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
2 years ago spent months getting rid of the house and junk to be full timers. WELL... My mother in law passed and we got her house.
The Good. Taxes and utilities about 2k/year. Place to service RV and store bikes, boat and good medical. In North TX so spring and fall weather good.
The Bad. Out of the way to our normal destinations. Upkeep, worry about breakins, too hot in summer, too cold in winter.
What would you do?
21 REPLIES 21

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Taxes?
Don't know 'how' you inherited the house or if you paid inheritance tax, etc.

BUT, if you sell it now without claiming residency in it, you WILL also be paying a hefty capital gains tax if you sell it.

I am pretty sure the gov still left in place one of Bush's housing tax breaks.

If you 'live' in the house for 2 years you do NOT have to pay capital gains tax on the sale.

Sell it before 2 years is up living in it and/or without living in it at all and you will have to pay capital gains tax on it.

Just something to think about to help you make the decision. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
My impression is/was that homes do not appreciate rapidly in Texas (a generalization of course).

If you do not want to live/stay where the house is. Sell it.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
You might have the perfect setup without even knowing it. Nice spring and fall stay in TX. Hot summer explore the north, cold winter explore the south.

Try it for a year or so, then make your choice.

This sounds ideal to me as well. A super cheap home base sounds good and you can be a "warm bird." 🙂
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clean it out and rent it for a year or two. That will give you time to make a non rushed decision.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar situation with a house in Denison. I kept it because my aunt still lived there and we went to visit her but when she died, I finally sold it. The taxes were cheap until the assessor found out that my parents had died and I was the owner plus I was not a Texas resident. Another big expense is trying to insure it with it not being full time occupied. It was costing me about $10K/yr to maintain because we flew back twice a year from WA, once to get it ready for winter, and again in the spring to ready it for summer. Rental car expense in DFW is out of sight.

There are times I wish I had kept it

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you'd really want to live there, I'd sell it. Why keep it as a storage unit?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I would sell it and contents and put the money in the bank. Once you decide where you want to live when you stop full timing you can build or buy or rent a place. Less to worry about in my opinion.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
OP
Property taxes are frozen at $1037/yr. House will be unoccupied 6 months a year = min. utilities. Hence $2k expenses.
This is cheaper than rental on a storage space for toys. Sister in law will be staying in N. TX house in winter. House is in a fairly good neighborhood so crime is low.
Just wanted to see many's reaction to a good situation. And it's in my wife's name so she will be deciding it's fate. Thanks.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would think about it for six months to a year. Unless you really don'want/like the house.

An auctioneer is quick and easy. But, you do pay and there us no guarantee the house will bring what you want.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
westernrvparkowner wrote:
You may want to revisit those expense figures. It is very hard for me to believe that all the utilities and property taxes only equate to $160/month. It is likely your mother in law had some property tax relief (homestead and/or resident senior citizen) that you may not qualify for. Property taxes are very high in Texas (offset by no state income tax). And you are right, unoccupied property is a magnet for crime. I would sell and if you are concerned about having a permanent place in the future, put the money aside from the sale and use it to buy when and where you want to own.

Property taxes in Texas get frozen for those owners over 65 and there's also a Homestead exemption that can come into play. Most likely the mother-in-law had low taxes because of this, but any new owner would face a tax re-evaluation. Now if the new owners are also over 65 their property taxes could be fixed at that point as well.

Compared to various other States I've lived in, worked in and paid taxes in I don't find the overall taxes all that high here in Texas. It depends on where the property is. A friend of mine had a house on a small lot in Dallas County and she was paying more than twice what I pay for a similar sized home on 1/2 acre in Collin County just north of Dallas.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to revisit those expense figures. It is very hard for me to believe that all the utilities and property taxes only equate to $160/month. It is likely your mother in law had some property tax relief (homestead and/or resident senior citizen) that you may not qualify for. Property taxes are very high in Texas (offset by no state income tax). And you are right, unoccupied property is a magnet for crime. I would sell and if you are concerned about having a permanent place in the future, put the money aside from the sale and use it to buy when and where you want to own.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Fiesta wrote:
2 years ago spent months getting rid of the house and junk to be full timers. WELL... My mother in law passed and we got her house.
The Good. Taxes and utilities about 2k/year. Place to service RV and store bikes, boat and good medical. In North TX so spring and fall weather good.
The Bad. Out of the way to our normal destinations. Upkeep, worry about breakins, too hot in summer, too cold in winter.
What would you do?

What does your spouse think? Was it the house she grew up in or one that her Mom got after she was grown? Asking to see if there are any emotional memories of her late Mother to consider. Depending upon the circumstances of her Mother's passing, it might be good to get a little further into the grieving process before selling.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
Fiesta wrote:
What would you do?

After 4 yrs of fulltiming, I bought/built 3 homes in 3 of my favorite areas of the west to use as part time stop overs during my RV travels. So if I was you I'd find a nice home in your favorite part of Colorado to use as a summer home base, use this Tx home in spring/fall, and use your RV to go south in winter.
Maintenance on most homes is minimal and gives you something to do when you stay there during spring/fall. Its usually the landscaping that takes more time, but you can change the landscaping, if needed, to be low maintenance type.
To minimize security concerns get to know a few nearby neighbors and install a security sys with cameras; and have a good full coverage insurance policy. Be sure to tell the agent its a seasonal home, then there is no issue leaving it vacant half the year.
But its your choice, do whatever makes you happy and meets your priorities & preferences. Don't worry about what others think you should do.
Jim

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
this is to easy, call the very best auctioneer in the area, takes about 30 minutes to get rid of your problem. house and contents about three hours. I,ve done this with two estates and has been a breeze.a good auction company handles everything. they,ll send you a check.