cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medicare Part C Questions.

mrlightrail
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on dipping our feet into full-timing this summer, but our health insurance has a limited amount of doctors we can see, and they are all in one county of my state. Is there any states where we can change our Medicare Advantage plan to cover those of us on the road? If it requires changing our domicile, I'm ok with that if I get greater choice.
13 REPLIES 13

mrlightrail
Explorer
Explorer
My main concern is my prescriptions, which includes one drug (Victoza) which requires me to have a plan, otherwise costs would kill me. I may set my domicile in a state which has good Medicare Advantage plans, and just come "home" for my routine office visits. Most plans allow me to go out of network for urgent care or emergency care. I just want to be able to enjoy seeing the country before I get to the point where I can't drive anymore.

orfsotr
Explorer
Explorer
KA4EBU - my brother is on dissability, (currently age 52) he was automatically enrolled in Medicare 2 years after he started receiving dissability.

KA4EBU
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get medicare before you are 65.
Don and Pauletta
2003 Phaeton 40RH
2008 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
Misty - Enjoying on the Rainbow Bridge
Sophie - Maltese

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a supplement using Transamerica 800-752-9797 and mention you're a Good Sam member. We've had ours for nine years and started at age 62. Have had multiple surgeries including cancer and between Medicare and Transamerica we have had a total of under $50 bill to pay out-of-pocket. We don't have prescription as we use generics from WalMart.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mrlightrail
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have Medicare advantage, If I went to Original Medicare, there are no supplemental policies I can take because of my age. And the few I've found, the premiums are outrageous, for little coverage.

orfsotr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not quite following since you first say you have Medicare Advantage and then post you have traditional Medicare, which should cover you nation wide as long as the health care provider accepts Medicare. You also say you can't get a supplement until you turn 65, am I correct in that you have Medicare before you are 65 because you are on dissability? If this is the case, family member experience tells me you can get a supplment. Best course of action in my humble opinion would be to talk directly to a Medicare rep and find out your options.

mrlightrail
Explorer
Explorer
My problem is that I can't get a supplemental until I turn 65. So I'm stuck with traditional Medicare, with it's deductibles and co-pays.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Medicare Advantage plans are like HMO's. They only cover within a certain geographical area. If you want national coverage switch to regular Medicare and if you want full coverage, a Medicare supplement would cover what Medicare doesn't pay. You will also need part D for drug coverage. The Affordable Care Act will cut payments to Medicare Advantage plans over the next few years so that premiums will be required or will rise. The purpose is to phase them out. So eventually there will be no advantage to having a Medicare Advantage HMO plan. So switch now or be forced to switch later. Note: This is fact and not a political message. You can Google it.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Humana

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
ed6713 wrote:
This is a complicated subject. Lots of options depending on your needs and circumstances.

We used a Medicare supplement through AARP/United Healthcare. It provides coverage anywhere Medicare is accepted.
Sounds like you have a. HMO/PPO sort of plan that restricts you to doctors/facilities that are part of the plan.

Go to the AARP site and poke around. The premium is based on your home of record and the type plan you choose. We paid right at $200 per person per month. On top of that, add part D coverage. We had the minimal plan through WalMart. Costs about $18/month.

Medicare has a great website that will search policies available where you live and give you their rating of the policy and an approximate cost. Check it out.

AARP marks up the policies they sell and give you a "discount" to make you think you are getting a deal. Get a medicare supplement thru medicare, there are multiple companies that offer the same plans at different prices and you can get a lower price.
HR

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
This is a complicated subject. Lots of options depending on your needs and circumstances.

We used a Medicare supplement through AARP/United Healthcare. It provides coverage anywhere Medicare is accepted.
Sounds like you have a. HMO/PPO sort of plan that restricts you to doctors/facilities that are part of the plan.

Go to the AARP site and poke around. The premium is based on your home of record and the type plan you choose. We paid right at $200 per person per month. On top of that, add part D coverage. We had the minimal plan through WalMart. Costs about $18/month.

Medicare has a great website that will search policies available where you live and give you their rating of the policy and an approximate cost. Check it out.
๐Ÿ™‚

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
JMHO, but I think Medicare Advantage plans are risky. I have seen people lose their coverage when the company went belly up and it's not easy to get back on regular Medicare. And, as you have stated, they are not as portable. Perhaps it would be better to stick with Medicare and get a supplemental policy that offers nationwide and foreign travel coverage and also a Medicare D policy for prescription drugs.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
I got rid of my advantage plan, it was too restrictive and it will get worse with Obamacare. I have Medicare Part A, B, Medigap supplement plan F and Part D and I go where I want with no deductible, no co pay and no co insurance, as long as the doc or facility takes medicare.
HR