Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie Full-timing questions

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

My first post in the forums (be gentle if i break any social rules) ๐Ÿ™‚ My wife and I, and our 5 kids are seriously considering full timing. I've been reading the forums for a while and finally decided to post for the first time with some questions. Here goes:

1. 5th Wheels to buy. We're wondering what the "Chevys" and "Cadillacs" of 5th wheelers are? We really like the 2015 coachmen brookestone, but we've also looked at a 2013 Keystone Raptor today that was pretty posh. For us, the bigger the better and the TV will most likely be a Ford f-350. but we're wondering who makes the low end and high-end of 5ers?

2. Trailer parks or....What appeals to us about full timing is being able to be out in nature. I'm a semi pro photographer and i want us to be able to see beautiful places without breaking the bank each month. The wife and I are not excited about being in trailer parks with the kids being around who knows who.... are there "nice/safe" places to stay other than local trailer parks (this is the dumbest of my questions, i'm sorry but I don't know of any other way to ask it?)

3. Monthly camping/rental cost. I know this varies, but we're trying to figure out a budget and we're not sure what to put as the "rental space cost" per month. Sure would help if we could get a ball park.

I have a 1000 other questions, but I'll hold off for now, thanks again!
2009 Fleetwood Excursion 40x DP
Photographer: www.certainpointofview.com
34 REPLIES 34

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
There's been a few families of your size and even much larger that have done this. Whatever the mind can conceive etc ...... = if you want this go for it, don't let anyone stand in your way with their beliefs or say "you can't". The best memories of our lives have been our RVing years with our children (never FT till now but extended time trips), we've covered 44 states including Alaska and Hawaii, most provinces and territories in Canada and have priceless memories with our children growing up whilst doing it. Our focus besides national and state parks, was anything water based activity wise = fishing, swimming, snorkelling, diving, white water rafting, kayaking etc. Unbelievable recounts of various trips occur over our dining tables several times a week.

There was another family I recall hearing about called the Kellogg Family. Check out Kelloggshow.com and google them for tons of stories and videos on this family of 14 on the road.

Good luck and enjoy, these years with your children creating many memories can never be replaced.

FTW.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Each Escapee-owned park has certain rules. Read them regarding age before popping in.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
2112 wrote:
Join Escapees. They can be great help.
www.escapees.com

Escapees is good for information but their home-owned parks and co-ops would not be for families.

Depends on what you are looking for. Escapee parks don't cater to kids so no playgrounds with swings, etc. but some do have swimming pools and all have clubhouses with laundry facilities, libraries, etc. The main reason for a family to stay at an Escapee Park would be the lower member rates for camping, including monthly rates which are currently about $325 plus electric. And some of the Escapee parks are in areas with lots to see and do for adults and kids, especially the Summerdale, AL, park near Gulf Shores.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
www.escapees.com

Escapees is good for information but their home-owned parks and co-ops would not be for families.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
RV parks----
When starting to look at RV parks/resorts, keep in mind that some parks are for seniors 55 yrs. and older, The size of each RV site is important to your comfort level especially with 5 kids. Based on your overall needs, it sounds like you will need 1. Smaller, older RV parks 2. Monthly rates 3. Parks where you could volunteer in exchange for your RV site, usually about 20 hrs per week. 4. Portions of your time "boon docking" is BLM areas like Quartsite in Ariz. But you will need a generator and pay some one to come around to bring you fresh water and empty your tanks with 7 people using the potty and showering. Teach your kids about "navy" showers.

Explorer II
Explorer II
www.escapees.com
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
arhayes wrote:
You'll get better info if you give us a little better idea of your travel plans. Are you focusing on one area of the country, how often you plan to move, etc. We are retired and been full timing for one year in a 43' Toy Hauler in which we carry out Goldwing motorcycle. We put 11,000 miles on last year, so fuel is an expense. Because of our rig size, we can rarely stay at state or nat'l parks. We have used various RV parks and resorts and our monthly expense with electric/water/sewer has been between 450 - $1100 per month. You'll often pay more for pull-thru sites or the premium sites it may take to comfortably accommodate your rig and family. If you can stay somewhere long enough to get a monthly rate, you can save some money and we did that when we wintered in south Alabama and central Florida this past winter. If you are somewhere that'll require you to use your furnace you can expect propane expenses to run quite a bit - up to $100 or more a month. We rarely need it but don't want to be in cold climates.

I cannot imagine 7 folks in one rig, but that's up to ya'll. As already stated, a TH will probably work better, BUT they are heavier by design and will increase the vehicle type and operating expenses for it. Ours has just 1 bathroom? But they have 2 bathroom models and Grand Design are rated for full-time use. As far as safety, we have never had an issue but do not stay in rough areas either. For the most part the RV community is friendly and helpful to each other. Of course we don't have kiddos with us to worry about.

Keep in mind that there will be monthly and annual maintenance to do on the rig and most things are not real inexpensive. The more you can do yourself, the more you'll be able to save. If you're handy with tools that'll be a money saver for you. Hope this helps.

i'll have to say: we can't imagine 7 people in a rig either - epsecialy since i'll need the master to myself during the day so I can work, but we've always been adventurous and have done a bit of travel outside the country, so we're looking forward to that aspect.

in terms of travel plans: we're thinking a month at a time in one place (usually).

are you saying electric/water/sewer is running $450-1100 before the rental?

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
soos wrote:
Check out this blog This couple and their 6 kids full time for a year or so seeing the country.
Kinsa's Blog

I believe they bought a Toy hauler with a loft bed.

will get to reading today! We have friends who also have 5kids and went from a 4000sq home to an RV that we've been talking to. They've been "on the road" for two years now and we've been picking their brains as well. Every bit helps ๐Ÿ™‚

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Check out national parks, national forests, & state parks for reasonably priced spots. If you want max flexibility, install enough solar and/or generator to allow you to go without electric plug-in for at least a week at a time. You would get payback pretty fast.

Make sure you switch to LED lighting if it's not in the RV you buy. That will save a ton of electricity.

Do your reading on here to educate yourself before you jump in. Go to RV shows and check out the options in RVs.

I think it's a great idea for a family!

thanks coolmom! We looked at a keystone raptor last night that had an onan 5500 generator and a battery system as well. It was immaculate for about 40k. We're considering it, but my wife wants something with a small tub and a somewhat bigger pantry. will definitely do on the LED lighting.

I think most of the electric will go to keeping my cameras and computers charged and going!

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
1. What kind of weather do want to RV in?
2. Weather will determine geographical areas for raving
3. How old and how big are your kids? This answer will help narrow down the choices of RV choices
4. How are you going to school the kids?
5. Go on the good Sam RV web site and you get all the Information you need about RV parks i.e. Costs, location maps, amenities etc. Also buy the Good Sam RV
Park directory.
6. Have you worked out your medical plans for the family, financial
Banking plan to pay bills, getting your mail
7. Look at a Emergecy Roadside service plan ie Good Sam, Good Sam Travel assistance plan for medical emergencies if you are unable to drive your home(where ever that might be.

Thanks don,

We'd like to be in mostly mild weather (Floridians after all), though we want the kids to experience the fall and see snow on occasion. Still: mostly warm weather

Kids are 12,10,8, 4, 2 (they don't take up too much space yet!)

as for school, we homeschool so no worries there. Also banking is no issue as all that is automated and electronic already. Medical is through work, so no worries there as everyone is healthy.

Ill definitely take a look at the roadside assistance, thanks for that!

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out national parks, national forests, & state parks for reasonably priced spots. If you want max flexibility, install enough solar and/or generator to allow you to go without electric plug-in for at least a week at a time. You would get payback pretty fast.

Make sure you switch to LED lighting if it's not in the RV you buy. That will save a ton of electricity.

Do your reading on here to educate yourself before you jump in. Go to RV shows and check out the options in RVs.

I think it's a great idea for a family!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
elhajj33 wrote:
Hi all,

My first post in the forums (be gentle if i break any social rules) ๐Ÿ™‚ My wife and I, and our 5 kids are seriously considering full timing. I've been reading the forums for a while and finally decided to post for the first time with some questions. Here goes:

1. 5th Wheels to buy. We're wondering what the "Chevys" and "Cadillacs" of 5th wheelers are? We really like the 2015 coachmen brookestone, but we've also looked at a 2013 Keystone Raptor today that was pretty posh. For us, the bigger the better and the TV will most likely be a Ford f-350. but we're wondering who makes the low end and high-end of 5ers?

2. Trailer parks or....What appeals to us about full timing is being able to be out in nature. I'm a semi pro photographer and i want us to be able to see beautiful places without breaking the bank each month. The wife and I are not excited about being in trailer parks with the kids being around who knows who.... are there "nice/safe" places to stay other than local trailer parks (this is the dumbest of my questions, i'm sorry but I don't know of any other way to ask it?)

3. Monthly camping/rental cost. I know this varies, but we're trying to figure out a budget and we're not sure what to put as the "rental space cost" per month. Sure would help if we could get a ball park.

I have a 1000 other questions, but I'll hold off for now, thanks again!

A few questions to consider before starting your RV adventure:

1. What kind of weather do want to RV in?
2. Weather will determine geographical areas for raving
3. How old and how big are your kids? This answer will help narrow down the choices of RV choices
4. How are you going to school the kids?
5. Go on the good Sam RV web site and you get all the Information you need about RV parks i.e. Costs, location maps, amenities etc. Also buy the Good Sam RV
Park directory.
6. Have you worked out your medical plans for the family, financial
Banking plan to pay bills, getting your mail
7. Look at a Emergecy Roadside service plan ie Good Sam, Good Sam Travel assistance plan for medical emergencies if you are unable to drive your home(where ever that might be.

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out this blog This couple and their 6 kids full time for a year or so seeing the country.
Kinsa's Blog

I believe they bought a Toy hauler with a loft bed.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
You'll get better info if you give us a little better idea of your travel plans. Are you focusing on one area of the country, how often you plan to move, etc. We are retired and been full timing for one year in a 43' Toy Hauler in which we carry out Goldwing motorcycle. We put 11,000 miles on last year, so fuel is an expense. Because of our rig size, we can rarely stay at state or nat'l parks. We have used various RV parks and resorts and our monthly expense with electric/water/sewer has been between 450 - $1100 per month. You'll often pay more for pull-thru sites or the premium sites it may take to comfortably accommodate your rig and family. If you can stay somewhere long enough to get a monthly rate, you can save some money and we did that when we wintered in south Alabama and central Florida this past winter. If you are somewhere that'll require you to use your furnace you can expect propane expenses to run quite a bit - up to $100 or more a month. We rarely need it but don't want to be in cold climates.

I cannot imagine 7 folks in one rig, but that's up to ya'll. As already stated, a TH will probably work better, BUT they are heavier by design and will increase the vehicle type and operating expenses for it. Ours has just 1 bathroom? But they have 2 bathroom models and Grand Design are rated for full-time use. As far as safety, we have never had an issue but do not stay in rough areas either. For the most part the RV community is friendly and helpful to each other. Of course we don't have kiddos with us to worry about.

Keep in mind that there will be monthly and annual maintenance to do on the rig and most things are not real inexpensive. The more you can do yourself, the more you'll be able to save. If you're handy with tools that'll be a money saver for you. Hope this helps.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Consider volunteering at federal Campgrounds. You will get a free site usually with water, electric and sewer.You will volunteer so many hours a week in trade. This will cut down on expenses and allow you to photograph nature. In the Tonto national forest I have gotten great shots of Road runners, Gila monsters, tarantulas and man different birds.

that's a pretty cool idea. I already a full time job and have my photography/blogging to keep me busy. I wonder how many hours/months do i have to volunteer for to get a site?