cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residency when full timing: Florida vs Texas

Retired_Sailor
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will begin our FT chapter in a couple months. Since we are currently residents of a state with income tax we're looking to be come residents of one that doesn't. We have it narrowed down to Texas, Florida and possibly Nevada.

Can anybody out there provide some comparisons in regards to driver's licenses (special RV license?) and costs of registering our coach. We have a 37' Class A Gas Coachmen Aurora. Also interested in mail forwarding services.

We've heard great things about Escapees in Livingston, TX so Texas is high on our list but am interested in hearing any and all suggestions and stories.

Thanks
2006 National RV Tradewinds 40E
2008 Honda CRV Toad
54 REPLIES 54

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We had SD for 9 years. At the time TX would NOT insure our FL60....so it was off the list immediately.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Southern Nights wrote:
If I am reading the S.D. web site correctly, it appears you have a one time tax on your trailer and truck or M/ H when you first register them. The following years are inexpensive though.

Those of you who have used S.D., is that correct?

Yes, when you register your vehicle, new or used, you will pay a 3% excise tax. (not a sales tax). You pay it once when you register the vehicle the first time. After that. . . only tags and they are much cheaper than when we lived in Indiana.

There is a 7% sales tax on other things in the state.

We are SD and have all our insurances, financial, wills, etc., set up there. Very RV friendly. It works well for us.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
"It is a pita to have to drive all the way back to texas if you don't otherwise need to."

This has been mentioned many, many times...you DON'T have to drive to Texas to have an inspection done. It's ONLY necessary to have one done if you're actually IN Texas anyway. If you never plan on going to Texas you don't have to have the inspection done.

but if you don't get an inspection, and happen to be driving thru Texas you are in violation.
bumpy

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
"It is a pita to have to drive all the way back to texas if you don't otherwise need to."

This has been mentioned many, many times...you DON'T have to drive to Texas to have an inspection done. It's ONLY necessary to have one done if you're actually IN Texas anyway. If you never plan on going to Texas you don't have to have the inspection done.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

cabanaman
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
Queens Carriage wrote:
We moved from TX to FL.
TX
Car inspection every year. This is a PIA.
No State income tax.
One time fee for car plates

Fl
No State income tax
No car inspection
0ne time fee of aprox.$450 for car plates

The one thing to consider the state you pick is the state you get the resident discounts. One big one is State parks.

The car inspection (and/or coach) is not a PITA. It is a 15 minute stop unless you need lights/horn/brakes, etc. fixed - which you should have done before you go in to have the inspection. If you can't pass a state safety inspection on the car, should you be driving it?

The one time fee to transfer title is $90 in Texas- - sure less than $450. And in Texas anyone can purchase the annual pass to the state parks.

Barb

You are not mentioning how much you have to pay for the inspection.
It is a pita to have to drive all the way back to texas if you don't otherwise need to.
Retired Navy
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 6.7 cummins,6 speed auto,exhaust brake. Emissions removed.
2007 Open Road 378SA4S-5,equa-flex and morryde X factor,wet bolt kit,michelin ltx M/S 2 tires

kc1240
Explorer
Explorer
Don't fall for that Texas hype, it is one expensive state. S.D. or Fla. are your best choices.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
MeanderMan wrote:
So much of your decision is dependent on your type of RV and future plans. We have a motorhome, and the insurance cost was double in Texas over SD. TX requires a special license for MHs over 26K lbs, SD does not. If you ever plan to trade or buy a new RV, Texas sales tax is 7%+ depending on county, SD is a flat 3%. I've been an Escapees member for a long time, and we've spent a lot of time wintering in Texas, but SD is a much better option for most MH owners.

Not just MH's

The insurance would double on our truck and be 50% higher on 5'vr if we used TX vs SD as our 'domicile'.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
R12RTee wrote:
Kirk wrote:
The Good Sam folks have recognized Texas as the RV state of the year at least three times now, more than any other state. Must be some reason? The Escapees RV club chose Texas also,probably for a reason too?

I'm guessing the reason is money. Texas is a place where The Escapees RV "Business" makes their money.

Bingooooooo!

Probably a great place to stay when full timing but the insurance there will kill you.

South Dakota. You get a street address from what I have been told.

I still have qa home in WA so everything is registered there. No income tax, tabs are $175 for RV and truck together and insurance is very reasonable.

If I sell the house, South Dakots here I come!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
Kirk wrote:
The Good Sam folks have recognized Texas as the RV state of the year at least three times now, more than any other state. Must be some reason? The Escapees RV club chose Texas also,probably for a reason too?

I'm guessing the reason is money. Texas is a place where The Escapees RV "Business" makes their money.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Kirk wrote:

so we are to ignore all of the 'facts" about taxes, etc. and blindly accept Texas because of the GS folks?
bumpy

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most full timers I see on the west coast have SD plates.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MeanderMan
Explorer
Explorer
So much of your decision is dependent on your type of RV and future plans. We have a motorhome, and the insurance cost was double in Texas over SD. TX requires a special license for MHs over 26K lbs, SD does not. If you ever plan to trade or buy a new RV, Texas sales tax is 7%+ depending on county, SD is a flat 3%. I've been an Escapees member for a long time, and we've spent a lot of time wintering in Texas, but SD is a much better option for most MH owners.
Happily Fulltiming Somewhere
2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
2013 Honda CRV
Our RV Blog

Kirk
Explorer
Explorer
Good travelin! ........Kirk
Professional Volunteer
Fulltimer for 11 years,
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
Navy Chief - We are retired military also. We "moved" from CA to South Dakota 6 years ago. We use My Dakota Address for our mail service. Haven't had any problems with them in this time. They also give a military discount. Check out their website.

Since you purchased your rig in CA (or at least registered it there) you will not have to pay any additional in SD. We register our RV and car for less than my car alone used to cost in CA.

One advantage is that you will remain in the same Tricare region in SD as you are in CA. No transfer.

Insurance was a bit cheaper but not a lot. No income tax, no vehicle inspection, no special license required. You only have to return to SD once every 5 years to renew your license. Oh, and you don't need an appointment to go into the DMV! It takes less than 15 minutes.

Neither of us has been called for jury duty in all this time. (Knock on wood).

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Treasa
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Navy Chief wrote:
Thanks all. We had sort of written off SD but may take another look at it. Are there any recommended books, magazines, etc that may help advise a couple of FT rookies?

what was the downside of SD? Nobody who uses it seems to have a problem. visit once, see Wall Drug if you must, and that ends it. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy