cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Best Part of Getting Ready to Full Time...

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
I started the "Worst Part of" topic. But our luck has changed. We put our prime property of 15.3 acres & Double wide on the market on Friday. Tuesday we had a signed pending contract. Yea.....!
Realtor is still getting calls.
Got nearly my asking price and have so far not asked for anything except my 1955 tractor.
Still got almost a month to get only 30-40% of the stuff out of the house.
DW is organized so the move is going smoothly. I'm just the grunt this time.
We'll be Full Timing by Mid May. ALL RIGHT!
10 REPLIES 10

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Boxer Lovers wrote:
I surely hope your deal goes through, and you don't have my misfortune. We also had a contract to sell our acerage and home along with plans to go fulltime. We had a barn sale and sold most of my implements and tools. Won't need those on the road will I?

You can see this coming right? After three closing delays we were told the buyers couldn't secure a loan, despite earlier letters of credit from the bank.

We didn't get our earnest money back. Sellers have no rights any longer. Net result we are keeping our place, but I've spent hundreds replacing small tools and equipment I foolishly sold for pennies on the dollar by making an assumption that the deal would close. Don't get rid of your stuff until you see the money.

That is why it is a good idea to have at least one "back-up offer"
if possible
If no back-up offer,I would agree...money in hand,then get rid of "stuff"
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jfet wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Hope all goes well....no snags/delays.
Wishing you a smooth move :B

We decided to hit the road.
Ordered truck & 5th wheel
Called family/friends...come get what you want cause everything is going.
Then had an estate auction. End of auction day EVERYTHING GONE!
Auctioneer handed us our check>>>>>>>DONE.

Person at auction made offer...we countered. DONE.
45 days later we were GONE.

Our only regret...we didn't do it SOONER.

Can you explain a little bit more on the estate auction? Did you pack up everything and take it to the auction house? Did you pre-sale some bigger more valuable items or just risk a nearly new pool table going for $5 at auction?

The estate auction.
We lived 8 miles out of town (1 mile of dirt road after turning off asphalt). Yard sales don't do well hence the idea of estate auction.
Auctioneer advertised with flyers, e-mails to followers, newspaper etc. for 2 weeks prior to action.
Staff came out 3 days prior to auction and sorted/boxed items into 'lots' (small stuff in 1 lot---large items 1 lot)
Day of auction
Previewing was for 2 hours (7am---9am)
Auction started at 9am and ended at 4pm
All items had to be paid for and removed that day
Some items didn't bring as much as we thought they should but majority of items went for way more than what they were worth (bidding wars---- :S )
At end of day everything was gone. Even things that I would have taken to dump (auctioneer told me "Hold off getting rid of anything until after auction" and he was right.)
Auctioneer tallied up the sales...cut us our check. His fee was 25%.
Which was well worth the advertisement, the sorting/boxing, selling and draw (130+ folks)and the NO Hassle benefit for us.

Family/friends had already picked thru house....some items given/some sold.
And day of auction----if we changed our mind on an item it could be pulled (prior to going up for bid). WE didn't :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Can you explain a little bit more on the estate auction? Did you pack up everything and take it to the auction house? Did you pre-sale some bigger more valuable items or just risk a nearly new pool table going for $5 at auction?

GramaofAAAA
Explorer
Explorer
We just did the same thing.....papers signed and it's a done deal! We need to be out by 5/31. Man, where did all this stuff come from? We can't wait! Good luck.... ๐Ÿ™‚

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gjwarneke
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations Fiesta!!!!
Our S&B sold quickly too...before the for sale sign even went up.
We moved into our 5th wheel 4 days ago...cleaning up the house this weekend and handing keys to new owner on Monday. Exciting times !
DH does not retire until May 5th...so we'll hit the road by mid May.
Happy Travels to you.
Jo

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
Amend earlier post to read " the buyers didn't have to forfeit their earnest money."
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
I surely hope your deal goes through, and you don't have my misfortune. We also had a contract to sell our acerage and home along with plans to go fulltime. We had a barn sale and sold most of my implements and tools. Won't need those on the road will I?

You can see this coming right? After three closing delays we were told the buyers couldn't secure a loan, despite earlier letters of credit from the bank.

We didn't get our earnest money back. Sellers have no rights any longer. Net result we are keeping our place, but I've spent hundreds replacing small tools and equipment I foolishly sold for pennies on the dollar by making an assumption that the deal would close. Don't get rid of your stuff until you see the money.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting rid of the accumulation of junkis the hard part. Storing it is not a good option, so sell or give it all away fast.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Enjoy your travels.