cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do for an office w/o a bunkhouse?

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
I will be working and need space for a full-size desktop computer and a 32" monitor. Photo editing.

I have considered a bunkhouse model to keep it all out of sight...for a tidier look, but I just cannot stand the tiny kitchen and living area.

Because we cook daily, we really want to have a rear kitchen model. I cannot come up with any office solutions with this kind of a floor plan, without using the dining table.

Would love to see if anyone has come up with some solutions.
25 REPLIES 25

cswinford
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem but I actually HAD a bunkhouse RV. However, my bunkhouse is full of kids 🙂 I work a 9-5 job online from the road and I had been working on my lap for 1.5 years. It was terrible and I finally got around to doing something about it a few weeks ago. What I did was moved our washing machine into the closet and renovated the space for the washer/dryer into a desk. I'll be posting about it in detail on my site in the very near future. Subscribe and you'll see a post about it shortly: http://longlongwaytotipperary.com
Safe Travels!
Chad

See my fulltime RV blog @ http://longlongwaytotipperary.blogspot.com/

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sounds to me like a Toy-hauler would be ideal. I know, no rear kitchen, but that's the least of your worries. You can pretty much design a toy-hauler to any shape you want, if you can void your rear-kitchen requirement ...

One the basics (kitchen, bath) are built in place, in whatever configuration suits you, the remaining desk set-ups can be relatively inexpensive and will fit your exact spec's - I'd find a good, local cabinet makes somewhere that can build and install what you want. You'd be surprises how space efficient a good cabinet maker can configure into a compact area. Don't go to one of those computer design centers, that's not the same thing as someone with a human brain and experience in the field.

One thought - IF you make a workspace along a rear or side wall, then do a rotating seat, and put 'the kitchen table' behind you, so when you turn around, you can use it for extended workspace when it's not 'eating time' -

Multi-purpose work areas work extremely well in RV's ... just takes a little living in it and deciding what is most important -- THEN find the RV that fits your ideas, rather than find the RV first and try to make your design work around its drawbacks.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Unless you have a specific hardware requirement the desktop or tower is wasted space and power.

Depends . . . I knew I needed a printer, so I put my tower under the printer.

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a large monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse at home and my office. I carry my laptop with me. Haven't used the docking station in years. I rarely even look at the laptop screen. Unless you have a specific hardware requirement the desktop or tower is wasted space and power.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

LabbieLover
Explorer
Explorer
MookieKat,

We just purchased a Montana High Country 303RK with rear kitchen (which I was adamant about). It has a small desk in the living room area. I also need a work area and if the desk doesn't work out well, I may sacrifice one of the reclines for additional desk space.

Hope this helps. 🙂

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
hocker wrote:
My wife wanted a craft space for pretty much the same reasons, to be able to leave the stuff out but not clutter up living space. We picked a Nu Wa 5th wheel floorplan, the 339RSB, with an extra closet slide-out in the "hallway" to the bedroom. I converted the closet into a work area with a desk and cabinet storage. It has worked great for us the last 4 years.

That is a nice idea. I found one like that, but the opening of the closet slideout is about 10" off the floor, So that I cannot use that closet with a chair to work in.

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
The best RV office situation I've heard of was a computer workstation built into the wall where the dinette usually goes. A base wall cabinet held the large component pieces with a U shaped counter for table top area/multiuse for dining as well as work. The monitor can be set into the unit's top to be a "pop up" like they do for some televisions. If you are willing to take out any other furniture on that some side I think you could build in all the work and storage space you need. You can also then use the type of office chair you need for comfort.

I cannot give you names for places that can do the work but many companies all over the country do customized things like this.

If you do a remodel like this, post an image...we'd all love to see it!
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

hocker
Explorer
Explorer
My wife wanted a craft space for pretty much the same reasons, to be able to leave the stuff out but not clutter up living space. We picked a Nu Wa 5th wheel floorplan, the 339RSB, with an extra closet slide-out in the "hallway" to the bedroom. I converted the closet into a work area with a desk and cabinet storage. It has worked great for us the last 4 years.
Jon & Sherry
Fulltimers - WOOHOO!

bjcarpetguy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have pics. What I did is in my 1987 34' Class A, I did away with the Dinette. Our intention was to eat outside as much as possible, (Stuck in Western
Wa for the winter) Not going to work out so well. Anyway I took it out and built a desk and Book self. It is U shaped the Book shelf to my left is 3 tiers.
have my Hp 6500 printer to my right. Quite a bit of storage under. We have a 24
inch Hp touch screen computer. So It is just a matter of being a little creative
with the area you have.

duggram
Explorer
Explorer
I started full-timing again 2 months ago. I work in healthcare IT and this is a great opportunity. I have a 40' toyhualer and use the garage as a garage for toys and workshop tools. I live alone so I setup my dining table with a shelf. I could put the printer on the shelf too but it fits fine on the bench seat behind. I can still eat at the table and usually do while working (I love my work).

I also picked up a light weight small table at World Market that is built on an aluminum frame with a wood top. It's designed to slide under the couch when you are using it. It's 14 x 18 and works well for laptop or dinner.

4advtr
Explorer
Explorer
I work and live in my RV. I work in IT so it's all remote work, now I have a choice of where I want to live every month. A dedicated space was a requirement for me, we chose the Redwood 38BR for this very reason. Had the optional desk put in the "flex" space. Currently I have a 24" monitor on that desk and sit there roughly 8 hours per day working. It's a nice layout for me.
2014 Redwood 38BR
2013 Ford F-350 6.7L SRW
B&W Turnover, 18K Companion

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
MookieKat wrote:
We had become enamored with the rear kitchen model, but we may have to give that up for office space.

Office? Mookie another change never mentioned before?

OK...think we have the perfect 5th wheel that may fit all your wants and needs....like residential size refrigerator (actually this would be an additional refer located in the 'back room') and yes even a space to have a complete office setup.

You can always finish off the 'back room' in a Toy Hauler yourself or have someone else finish the garage space custom just as you would like.

Click here for more info.

Many manufacturers offer Toy Haulers so you should be able to find one you like.

Thanks...that is a nice idea....but, I have yet to see a decent kitchen with ample counter space in a toy hauler or a bunkouse in our length range. The living area feels very tight!

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
I took the table and chairs out and put a desk in. I use 2 - 21" monitors because I need multiple things open sometimes. If I ever go back to day trading stocks I get a 3rd monitor and make a fortune!!! LOL

Do you just eat on the sofa?

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
MookieKat wrote:
We had become enamored with the rear kitchen model, but we may have to give that up for office space.

Office? Mookie another change never mentioned before?

OK...think we have the perfect 5th wheel that may fit all your wants and needs....like residential size refrigerator (actually this would be an additional refer located in the 'back room') and yes even a space to have a complete office setup.

You can always finish off the 'back room' in a Toy Hauler yourself or have someone else finish the garage space custom just as you would like.

Click here for more info.

Many manufacturers offer Toy Haulers so you should be able to find one you like.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel