cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is consider Full Timing to those that full time?

Jafa
Explorer
Explorer
Just wonder what is the definition to most "full timing"? Is it every day of the year, or the majority of the year?
49 REPLIES 49

Jafa
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
Jafa wrote:
Reason I ask wife and I are wanting to either to full time or part time if we cannot sell our home before we retire. Did any of you start out with some sort of plan as to where you wanted to travel to. What I consider full time RVing would be constant travel and not staying in one place for more then two weeks.

When we started the only real "plan" we had was that we would spend several years seeing most, if not all of the United States. We also knew that we would never spend another winter in the snow, and we still wanted to have some time with our kids and grandkids.

We are following those guidelines and making the rest up as we go!

That is what is really great about being totally full time in an RV, you might be sitting around and decide "hey, lets take off and go visit_________ for a couple weeks".

C-Bear you sound like us we are sick and tire of winter and we are so hoping we can sell our home so we can leave MI winters behind us. Your plan is sort of ours.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Jafa wrote:
Reason I ask wife and I are wanting to either to full time or part time if we cannot sell our home before we retire. Did any of you start out with some sort of plan as to where you wanted to travel to. What I consider full time RVing would be constant travel and not staying in one place for more then two weeks.

When we started the only real "plan" we had was that we would spend several years seeing most, if not all of the United States. We also knew that we would never spend another winter in the snow, and we still wanted to have some time with our kids and grandkids.

We are following those guidelines and making the rest up as we go!

That is what is really great about being totally full time in an RV, you might be sitting around and decide "hey, lets take off and go visit_________ for a couple weeks".
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Jafa
Explorer
Explorer

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
Full-timing, to me, means getting rid of S&B and all other "stuff" and living
and traveling in a motorhome, or whatever, all the time, regardless of how long
you stay in one place. We are in our 9th year and have no intention of
quitting until we no longer can handle the physical exertion of full-timing.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We really don't care how other people classify us. When we say we're going "home", we mean going back to our motorhome, regardless of where it happens to be at the time. We also get all our mail via a forwarding service. However, we do own a lakeside cottage in upstate NY, which we do visit for varying amounts of time during the year as we are right now to deal with medical issues. Even when we're here though, we continue to live in the motorhome connected to our own full hook up setup unless we're doing some serious maintenance or remodeling in the coach that makes it difficult to stay in it. I don't know if that labels us as "fulltimers", "longtimers", or "part timers" under someone else's definition, but I do know that we're thoroughly enjoying our life style, what ever it's called. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
Roy&Lynne wrote:
So how do you plan where to go next? I met one couple who geocached and we like birding but how do you decide where to go next?

For us we like to be around the kids/grandkids for part of the summer. Even at that we may take anywhere from a 2 to 7 week trip out west or someplace else during the summer months but we try to spend a majority of the time around family.

By the time December rolls around we head for warmer temperatures. We don't go anywhere in the winter where the average temps are in the 60's or below, we try to go where the average is mid 70's or above.

I fish and the DW reads. We both walk and ride our bicycles. We can do our hobbies in almost any part of the country.

That sounds like us as we have family on both coasts so we could do fall with one and spring with the other and warm in winter and cool in summer.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
I didn't realize there a formal rules! LOL!!!!
We are in our RV from April 1 thru Mid Nov. Unfortunatley, I still need to work, so heading toward warmer weather in the winter is not yet an option. I suggest we are fulltimers during the New England camping season.

Will the fulltimer police be knocking on my door? :h

John & Angela wrote:
We are full timers. Have been for 11 years. Having said that we still work about 5 months of the year in the RV industry. During that time we stay on our own private RV property. From what I gather some would disqualify us from using the title as a result of that.

:). I think so. I've already sent an email to the anonymous squealer line. Expect a visit soon. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't realize there a formal rules! LOL!!!!
We are in our RV from April 1 thru Mid Nov. Unfortunatley, I still need to work, so heading toward warmer weather in the winter is not yet an option. I suggest we are fulltimers during the New England camping season.

Will the fulltimer police be knocking on my door? :h

John & Angela wrote:
We are full timers. Have been for 11 years. Having said that we still work about 5 months of the year in the RV industry. During that time we stay on our own private RV property. From what I gather some would disqualify us from using the title as a result of that.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
So how do you plan where to go next? I met one couple who geocached and we like birding but how do you decide where to go next?

For us we like to be around the kids/grandkids for part of the summer. Even at that we may take anywhere from a 2 to 7 week trip out west or someplace else during the summer months but we try to spend a majority of the time around family.

By the time December rolls around we head for warmer temperatures. We don't go anywhere in the winter where the average temps are in the 60's or below, we try to go where the average is mid 70's or above.

I fish and the DW reads. We both walk and ride our bicycles. We can do our hobbies in almost any part of the country.

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
teamfamily5 wrote:
If you travel around the country and have no tax home then you are a transient or migrant ๐Ÿ™‚ if you have a tax home and travel around then you are a full timer

If you have a stick built home you are paying taxes on (that is not rented out as an investment property), and you still travel around the country, then I would not think of you as full time.

I would think of such a person as a "long timer".

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Just wondering why it even matters?
Titles and being part of a group are more important to some than others.

In our travels across the country during the past ten years, we have met many construction, oil field, agricultural, disaster aid and other workers that live in an RV because they prefer it to staying in motels or apartments and if they have families they can bring them with them. They may move once a year or less depending on how long the job lasts. Most I have talked to do not consider themselves RVers and do not belong to RV clubs or participate in RV forums.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Ourhomeonwheels
Explorer II
Explorer II
C-Bears wrote:
To me "full time RV" means that you do not have a stick built residence, or if you own one you just rent it out but never actually live in it yourself. You live in your RV all the time and travel either full time or part time. If you live in a RV but it never ever moves then you are not a "full time RVer" you are a "trailer park occupant" IMHO. If you travel around the country and work out of your RV part time you are probably a full time RVer, as compared to someone who just lives in a RV, works full time, and never moves the RV.

It took us 2 years to make the transition to FT this year. We move every 2 weeks in winter, because we stay mostly in NF NP or COE facilities to take advantage of the Senior Card. Summers we are pretty stationary to be close to my favorite golf courses, but we still move.

Cygany
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
We use our mail forwarding service address for everything - it is our 'primary residence.'

All bills are sent to us electronically and paid electronically (credit cards, cell phones, satellite, health insurance).

Our funds are direct deposited into our credit union from the account which generated them (retirement accounts).

We only have a mailbox because we are required to have a physical address. Otherwise, everything is done by computer. Occasionally, we receive paper mail - car registration renewal, for example - which the mail service forwards to where ever we happen to be.

That is right.
Fulltimers- We volunteer for two months in Oregon and move for month to get to Florida and again volunteer for two month in one state park and move on to another for three months & so on. Is that fulltiming?
Stan & Isabel